It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:17 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 5 of 6 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Laptops
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:11 pm 
cacodemon

Have thanks: 1 time
Apparently there is an OEM version of the GTX 780, but I cross-referenced the specifications on the OEM site to nVidia's and the specifications were identical. The specifications are subject to change without notice, so I can't rely on that to tell me whether or not I got the OEM version. The $150 discount doesn't say anything for its quality, as nVidia cut the price on all its 770 and 780 cards earlier in the year (with the exception of the GTX 780 Ti which hadn't released yet).

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/nvidia-gt ... 46028.html

The SSD question was about what was best for it. Boot and OS files are definitely important to put on the drive for better performance, but I had read that it didn't matter much for games.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:33 pm 
cacodemon

theadder, all things considered, I canceled my order. Would you mind if I messaged you as far as building my own PC instead of continuing to derail my own thread? :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:58 pm 
supreme adder

Have thanks: 249 time
That's fine.

I don't think anybody cares if we use this thread though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:00 pm 
supreme adder

I see an OEM GTX 760 at the Nvidia site but not a 780.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:44 pm 
cacodemon

theadder wrote:
I see an OEM GTX 760 at the Nvidia site but not a 780.

Amazon has an item fitting that description. I found it strange that it was listed on Amazon's site but not nVidia's. It's probably nonsense.

Okay, if we're using this thread it's fine. Maybe a moderator can change the title, though.

What's a good motherboard I can use for supporting PCI Express 3.0, a good number of USB 3.0 ports, and an HDMI port? I'm searching on my own, but if you happen to know before me please let me know. I read that a Z87 board is what I want as a gamer.

EDIT: This looks pretty good: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131981

Also, is buying my components from Amazon and Newegg fine? I'm worried about them getting under-performing SKUs. I've even found out that OEMs get worse versions of Operating Systems! I'd rather build for now on, though there are certain advantages to OEMs.

Post subject: Re: The MijukuDesu PC Building Thread
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:28 pm 
supreme adder

I suggested that Kareem buy this: ASUS Z87-PLUS.

Asus is good for motherboards.

The one you linked is probably also fine.

MijukuDesu wrote:
Also, is buying my components from Amazon and Newegg fine? I'm worried about them getting under-performing SKUs. I've even found out that OEMs get worse versions of Operating Systems! I'd rather build for now on, though there are certain advantages to OEMs.

Amazon and Newegg are fine. Why would they get under-performing items?

What sort of worse operating system?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:57 pm 
cacodemon

LOL @ this thread title. It's appropriate, though.

I know that Walmart gets under-performing items. I've heard of companies refusing to make worse products within a SKU just for Walmart. There would be no way to tell if you got an inferior product unless you opened it and inspected the parts. Walmart will drop a company for a $0.19 difference in product cost, so lots of manufacturers are pressured to offer worse products. I thought that Amazon might do this because they offer products for lower costs a lot.

OEM operating systems are worse because they have more restrictive licensing terms. For instance, you may only be able to perform a clean installation of the OS, but not an upgrade.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:12 pm 
supreme adder

MijukuDesu wrote:
LOL @ this thread title. It's appropriate, though.

I know that Walmart gets under-performing items. I've heard of companies refusing to make worse products within a SKU just for Walmart. There would be no way to tell if you got an inferior product unless you opened it and inspected the parts. Walmart will drop a company for a $0.19 difference in product cost, so lots of manufacturers are pressured to offer worse products. I thought that Amazon might do this because they offer products for lower costs a lot.

OEM operating systems are worse because they have more restrictive licensing terms. For instance, you may only be able to perform a clean installation of the OS, but not an upgrade.

That is true. No computer part manufacturers will do this for anyone but Dell and other integrators. If you think about it, people buying individual components from Amazon and Newegg are going to be better informed. They aren't interested in worse versions of models.

Even when it's done for Dell with computer stuff there's always differentiation of some sort; it might say OEM in it or it might have the 192-bit designator.

As for Windows, I'm running a system builder's licence on both PCs now. It's fine for me and it was cheaper.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:58 pm 
cacodemon

Comparing the two motherboards you've shown me, I think I'm going with the one I found. Yours had the benefit of more USB 3.0 ports, but I don't I'll need more than the 4 mine offers. I actually have a use for USB 2.0 (though I could get a converter if the board isn't shipped with one). I have a capture card that runs off of that. Still, I might use yours as I think about it more.

For sockets, there are a couple of incentives to go with LGA1155 but I read that support for that is dropping. LGA1150 would probably be the way to go. Does that sound right?

Also, if I get the Intel i5 4670K it will only support DDR3-1600? I don't think I need more than that. If I was using integrated graphics it might, but I won't. Should the i7's Hyper-Threading mean anything to me as a gamer?

Lastly:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811139010

COMPATIBILITY
Intel LGA 775, 1155, 1156, 1366, and 2011
AMD sockets AM2 and AM3

Okay, it doesn't say that it's compatible with LGA 1150. Shouldn't it be compatible with it though? I think that the 1150 and 1155 take the same spacing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:24 am 
supreme adder

There's no such thing as a converter for USB. You can't have too many 3.0 slots versus 2.0. They're fully backwards compatible. Your choice is fine, but don't do it for USB reasons necessarily.

1150 is the socket to buy. 1155 means you're buying an out of date processor. What are the incentives you see for 1155?

The memory controller is now internal and on the CPU die. There's no need for more than DDR3-1600. It isn't useful whether you're using integrated graphics or not.

You don't need hyperthreading from the i7 for games. In some situations it can be slower for your workloads.

The case should be fine for a 1150 board. It ought to all be the same spaces etc. The ATX form factor determines that really. Everyone buying now probably is doing Haswell anyway. You can probably check more thoroughly if you like.

Page 5 of 6 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next