It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 10:18 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 6 of 7 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Allosaurus Rex
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:42 pm 
Audrey Horne

Have thanks: 498 time
Yeah, that telltale video was good. Hoepfully that means he left his overly verbose, cheesy, adjective-based writing behind for good (just watch the Ethan Carter video), because the subject matter is usually quite interesting.

Do I want a house, or do I want a boat?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:23 am 
The Department of Penis Thread Corrections

Have thanks: 207 time
You can stop whining about that video five months ago, where Al openly admitted to not being too happy with it because he wasn't concise enough.
Al Russel wrote:
I'm sorry if that was the impression the video gave, verbosity indeed was a particular concern of mine what drafting this. I limited my focal points to that which wouldn't spoil the game, which is an odd limitation that probably ended up leaving me with too much bread and too little butter. I had similar issues discussing Kentucky Route Zero; I wanted to recommend it, but to recommend it on its greatest merits would rob the player of experiencing said greatest merits firsthand. Still, I can't say I'm personally unhappy with the way this video turned out, and who knows, maybe I'll revisit Ethan Carter with a short video or a blog post or the like where I talk about all the spoiler-filled things I liked as well.

Also Telltale really is over-hyped. Sure the way they adapted adventure games is neat, but ultimately there's not much substance to them. Then again, I've only played TWD, so maybe Wolf, Thrones, and/or Borderlands can change my mind.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:56 am 
VIP Member

Have thanks: 170 time
All "movie" games are overhyped, if you ask me. Even if the writing is good, at the end of the day, they just aren't games. And there's too many of them sprouting up lately.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:17 pm 
hell knight

Have thanks: 246 time
If they make one with engaging choice and consequence then that would make up for it in my mind.

I don't mind the gameplay, but pretty much the only thing that really matters is whether or not you die during a QTE...

I want different branches and some of them might even lead to failure, where you have to restart the entire chapter or something. That would be great.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:28 pm 
VIP Member

It just seems that games in general are becoming more and more "cinematic" and less interactive as time goes on. I'm not just talking about adventure games either. The Order at least got critically panned for it, but there was an element of hypocrisy to that too, as there have been plenty of other games with similar features that were heavily praised before. It's like they're only now catching on.

Games are capable of much more subtle storytelling that doesn't come at the cost of gameplay, as the likes of Dark Souls, Metroid Prime and Half Life show, but instead, developers just choose to rub our faces in their shitry narratives instead, at the expense of gameplay.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:14 pm 
The Department of Penis Thread Corrections

Have thanks: 207 time
Gilgamesh wrote:
All "movie" games are overhyped, if you ask me. Even if the writing is good, at the end of the day, they just aren't games. And there's too many of them sprouting up lately.

And this is important how? It is what it is; "being a game" should not add or detract any inherent value to a work of art. If Telltale wants to make their products less mechanically and skill-intensive that does not automatically detract from the quality of their products.

Current Telltale games (read: TWD) are overhyped because they are flaccid, inoffensive tripe with no meat on their bones, either mechanically or thematically. They aren't bad because they don't meet some people's arbitrary litmus for game-ism, but because it simply doesn't provide enough to justify its existence as anything other than a way to kill time during a boring afternoon and never think about again.

This is also relevant:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:22 pm 
Audrey Horne

Have thanks: 498 time
overpoweredginger wrote:
Al openly admitted to not being too happy with it because he wasn't concise enough.

Al Russel wrote:
Still, I can't say I'm personally unhappy with the way this video turned out

He's not excited about it, fair enough, but he didn't admit anything I said. He also seems to like it in general.
The Ethan Carter video is just the pinnacle of his terribly flowery writing. He can't write 5 sentences without an analogy. Even in that comment of yours, he had to do this "bread and butter" thing. The purpose of analogies is not only to make the piece more readable and "literary", but also and primarily to simplify something in order to make it more understandable (especially in things like reviews that need to inform the consumers about the product). The purpose of an adjective is to explain how the subject matter feels like/is/etc. For him, everything just needs to sound nice, so he crams 5 almost identical adjectives from a dictionary into one single sentence.

he's just another neckbeard enjoying his presence on the internet a bit too much

Do I want a house, or do I want a boat?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:45 pm 
VIP Member

overpoweredginger wrote:
And this is important how? It is what it is; "being a game" should not add or detract any inherent value to a work of art. If Telltale wants to make their products less mechanically and skill-intensive that does not automatically detract from the quality of their products.

Current Telltale games (read: TWD) are overhyped because they are flaccid, inoffensive tripe with no meat on their bones, either mechanically or thematically. They aren't bad because they don't meet some people's arbitrary litmus for game-ism, but because it simply doesn't provide enough to justify its existence as anything other than a way to kill time during a boring afternoon and never think about again.

This is also relevant:

I don't care about what constitutes art. Most of those type of "games" are just unsatisfying and would be better off experienced in another medium, or watched on YouTube

What you've described of TWD also applies to many of the others of their kind too. They have little to no meat on their bones. And there's too many of them popping up lately. Sure, people can say that you don't have to play them, you can ignore them and just focus on the games you like, and all that jazz, but what happens when that's mostly all that exists? It would be a *huge* downturn for the industry.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:08 pm 
VIP Member

[quote="Begogian"]
He's not excited about it, fair enough, but he didn't admit anything I said. He also seems to like it in general.
The Ethan Carter video is just the pinnacle of his terribly flowery writing. He can't write 5 sentences without an analogy. Even in that comment of yours, he had to do this "bread and butter" thing. The purpose of analogies is not only to make the piece more readable and "literary", but also and primarily to simplify something in order to make it more understandable (especially in things like reviews that need to inform the consumers about the product). The purpose of an adjective is to explain how the subject matter feels like/is/etc. For him, everything just needs to sound nice, so he crams 5 almost identical adjectives from a dictionary into one single sentence.

he's just another neckbeard enjoying his presence on the internet a bit too much

Fatman's ****** analogy in his FEAR review was a gold standard. It immediately made it understandable to the viewer, exactly what he meant and wasn't just there to sound smart. It was just raw simplicity. I've been rewatching some of his reviews lately. His writing style is really second to none.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:06 pm 
revenant

Have thanks: 82 time
Do you want a house, or do you want a boat?

Page 6 of 7 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next