It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:43 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 29 [ 283 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Are Video Games Art, or: The can of shit thread
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:44 am 
hell knight

Have thanks: 133 time
Personally, I think that there aren't any video games that are art, though they definitely could be in the near future. My definition of art is the expression of a feeling, thought, or idea. While many game's stories, artwork, or soundtracks can be considered art, those are self-contained and the game itself does not help deliver a point. However, there are elements unique to video games that can help deliver a point. The fact that the world is interactive and that the player plays a much greater role in the experience of a story can allow a player to experience a story in an entirely unique way. Half-Life 2 is a good example of this, but Half-Life 2 does not have an artistic message. Gameplay elements themselves can be in service to a message, serving as symbolism or allowing a player to actually alter a story. Again, while this has been done, I don't think any games that have done this actually are artistic. The biggest inhibition is simply why people play games. People play games because they are fun because they want to experience meaty gameplay, not art. It's like why action movies are usually the biggest seller, because that's what people want. Nevertheless, I'm sure a game dedicated to expressing an artistic message using elements unique to the medium can be both excellent in quality and successful in terms of sales. What's your opinion?

EDIT: In hindsight, this post contradicts itself in that my argument is focused entirely on, do games make artistic statments? Earlier in the post, I stated that expression of feelings are also art and therefore, my argument is pretty much invalidated. Nevertheless, I still look forward to reading other opinions on the subject and stand by my belief that games rarely if ever make a point.

Last edited by laifuthegreat on Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Are Video Games Art?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:38 am 
big fat controller

Have thanks: 1 time
Any and all expressive media is art.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:40 am 
jaghut tyrant

Have thanks: 14 time
That art is so broad that its common use is elitist as fuck.
A can of shit is art; absolutely anything is art.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:12 am 
supreme adder

Have thanks: 249 time
laifuthegreat wrote:
Are Video Games Art?

No.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:04 am 
revenant

Have thanks: 0 time
Art is based on subjective opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:11 am 
jaghut tyrant

Huskeyyyyy wrote:

That's a tad redundant.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:29 am 
revenant

MrBlista-SistaFista wrote:
Huskeyyyyy wrote:

That's a tad redundant.

I know, but what I meant was that games are only art if you FEEL they're art (god, that sounded pransy) Asking us if they're an artistic medium so you can judge whether or not they are art is pointless and isn't the right way to approach the matter.

Like you said, someone could consider a can of shit to be art, I wouldn't agree and I can't change they're mind and I have no right too and I wont decide that the shit filled can is art just because that other person thinks so. That's how I see it.

Asking us if we think games are art just to get our thoughts on the subject is alright though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:45 am 
jaghut tyrant

Huskeyyyyy wrote:
MrBlista-SistaFista wrote:
Huskeyyyyy wrote:

That's a tad redundant.

I know, but what I meant was that games are only art if you FEEL they're art (god, that sounded pransy) Asking us if they're an artistic medium so you can judge whether or not they are art is pointless and isn't the right way to approach the matter.

Like you said, someone could consider a can of shit to be art, I wouldn't agree and I can't change they're mind and I have no right too and I wont decide that the shit filled can is art just because that other person thinks so. That's how I see it.

Asking us if we think games are art just to get our thoughts on the subject is alright though.

Indeed, that's why I think anything is art because it only takes perspective, nothing more and no deeper.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:15 am 
former human

In the high-culture and narrowly defined meaning of the word? Not quite yet, excluding a few exceptional moments or aspects of certain games. Give it about 10-15 years perhaps.

In terms of what fatman said, anything that is created with aesthetic qualities in mind can be considered a product of artistic endeavor, to some degree. For instance, the designers of classic cars or art deco architects could be considered artists.

And, as has been already stated, it's all subjective.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:55 am 
foreskin enthusiast

Have thanks: 75 time
afromac wrote:
In terms of what fatman said, anything that is created with aesthetic qualities in mind can be considered a product of artistic endeavor, to some degree.

Thus, it is art.

Page 1 of 29 [ 283 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next