It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:32 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Bands that sold out or turned to shit
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:05 pm 
baron of hell

Have thanks: 266 time
I originally posted this in the what are you listening to thread, but its such a nostalgia overload for me that I figured it deserved its own thread. So can we have a musical dissapointment/bands that turned to shit thread?

This was my favourite band when I was a kid, back in 1997. Its a spanish band but they sang in english. They turned to shit after their third album and it really really beaks my heart,

Dover in the 90s

Dover in 2010

;_;

Post subject: Re: Bands that sold out or turned to shit
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:48 pm 
spectre

Have thanks: 0 time
John Lydon. He was the singer of the Sex Pistols back in the 70's. The band decried the heavy commercialization of the mid 1970's and tried to be as uncommercial and rebellious as possible (although they were pretty crap to be honest but that's besides the point)

Now he sells fucking butter...

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 3:30 am 
baron of hell

Have thanks: 266 time
I understand that he did that to get money so that he could go on tour.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:38 am 
foreskin enthusiast

Have thanks: 75 time
Not a band but more a singer. Nate Ruess of fun. was once in a band called The Format that was so much better.

These are two songs from The Format.

Now here's We Are Young by fun.

I still enjoy listening to it, but it's comparatively soulless. While The Format's songs were all about personal lives and romance, while fun.'s just feels like a cash grab for popularity (though a pretty good cash grab) with basic lyrics about people coming together and living in the moment.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:24 am 
Audrey Horne

Have thanks: 492 time
Oh, definitely Coldplay. Also, Kanye West, Eminem, Black Eyed Peas (they were really good without Fergie), Linkin Park,... There are especially many hip hop artists who turned to shit and only do overproduced bullshit nowadays.

Do I want a house, or do I want a boat?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:32 am 
foreskin enthusiast

Have thanks: 75 time
Bego wrote:
Oh, definitely Coldplay. Also, Kanye West, Eminem, Black Eyed Peas (they were really good without Fergie), Linkin Park,... There are especially many hip hop artists who turned to shit and only do overproduced bullshit nowadays.

I had no idea that any of those used to be of quality. Any suggestions to listen to?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:53 am 
Audrey Horne

Sexbad wrote:
Bego wrote:

I had no idea that any of those used to be of quality. Any suggestions to listen to?

Coldplay - Albums: Parachutes; A rush of blood to the head; song examples: See you soon; Everything's not lost; Politik; Amsterdam; The Scientist;
Kanye West - Albums: College Dropout; Late registration; parts of Graduation; song examples: Gold digger; Jesus Walks; All falls down; Heard 'em say, Roses, Touch the sky, Diamonds from Sierra Leone; Stronger
Eminem: Albums: Marshal Mathers LP;The Eminem Show; song examples: Stan (his best song); Kim, Lose yourself, The way I am, The real Slim Shady; Sing for the moment;
Black eyed Peas: Bridging the gap (album), I can't remember a song in particular, but I remember loving that album
Linkin Park: Albums: Meteora; Hybrid Theory; song examples: Faint; Numb; Nobody's listening; In the end; Crawling

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:17 pm 
bran the barn owl

Have thanks: 235 time
Bego wrote:
Kanye West

Kanye went to shit when he lost his capacity for self-deprication and just became self-aggrandizing. He takes himself way too seriously anymore.

Now he's only good for comedy value.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:26 pm 
Audrey Horne

brannnn wrote:
Bego wrote:
Kanye West

Kanye went to shit when he lost his capacity for self-deprication and just became self-aggrandizing. He takes himself way too seriously anymore.

Now he's only good for comedy value.

To me he always seemed to be very cocky, but he was *the* best producer in the business about 5 years ago. He never was a great rapper per se, his producing made his songs great. I don't care about his personal life and if he loves himself too much, to be honest. I just care for the music. And the music became very shitty. But maybe you have a point: Maybe him being self-aggrandizing made him think that singing was a good idea.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:28 pm 
The Unjolliest of Anglo-Irishmen

Location: Where the Dance Commanders of the world talk about running the world, Hyde Park.
Have thanks: 0 time
Bego wrote:

I loved Kanye West's last album.
I don't know about Mylo Xyloto, but Viva La Vida was good.
Em's last album was decent, no Marshall Mathers LP, but I liked it.
Linkin Park are now Micheal Bay's bitch. Shame.
Black Eyed Peas are shit now, and they weren't very good before imo.

Page 1 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next