It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:16 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 7 of 9 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Berserk Manga
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:30 am 
The Department of Penis Thread Corrections

Have thanks: 207 time
gilgamesh wrote:
overpoweredginger wrote:
gilgamesh wrote:
The story is after taking a rather light hearted turn lately. There be pirates.

You're catching up to me now. I like the change from action/general plot to characters as it's nice for the pacing.

I agree. I liked the part where they were in the bar a lot. I also enjoyed Guts' battle with Serpico. I liked how cocky Serpico got because of the stone pillars, yet he still managed to get owned and Guts didn't bother to use his other items beside the sword. I also like how Guts' sword doubles as a shield a lot of the time. I'm on volume 30 now.

God damn it, you're ahead of me again. Give me an hour.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:31 pm 
VIP Member

Have thanks: 169 time
I'm starting to think Berserk was a very big influence in lots of RPGs. The main character carries a massive sword, there is a strong magic user in the party, as well as others with different abilities. There is even a berserk status effect in Final Fantasy games where a character becomes stronger and can dish out more damage to his opponents but can't have any control over his actions. That's exactly what happens to Guts when the armour takes over. Then there is the monsters and architecture. It would have been a pretty big influence indeed.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:45 pm 

I'd also say that both Dark Cecil and and Kain's designs were both partially derived from the berserker armor.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:38 pm 
VIP Member

overpoweredginger wrote:
I'd also say that both Dark Cecil and and Kain's designs were both partially derived from the berserker armor.

Yes, I forgot about that as well. There is some sort of demon bird after showing up called Fafnir as well. The same thing showed up in some FF games. The karyan in The Witcher 2 seems similar to a sea monster that just showed up as well. I would even say that Kratos in God of War is at least partially inspired by Guts.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:21 pm 
VIP Member

I love the 'chemistry' between Guts and Zodd. It's one of my favourite things about the story.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:52 am 

Oh, Christ, this is so badass.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:43 am 
VIP Member

I'm after getting to the part where the chapters are all broken up. I think I'll stop reading. From what I hear it takes Miura about 3 or 4 months to make a chapter, which only comprises of about 20 pages. That's why it's going on for so long. I might come back to it in about 5 years ;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:40 pm 

gilgamesh wrote:
I'm after getting to the part where the chapters are all broken up. I think I'll stop reading. From what I hear it takes Miura about 3 or 4 months to make a chapter, which only comprises of about 20 pages. That's why it's going on for so long. I might come back to it in about 5 years ;)

Tooooool. 's ok. I'll probably just to the "subscribe" thingy on MangaReader and hit it up every so often.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:54 pm 
VIP Member

overpoweredginger wrote:
gilgamesh wrote:

Tooooool. 's ok. I'll probably just to the "subscribe" thingy on MangaReader and hit it up every so often.

I pity the people that started reading it 20 years ago. I might take a look at the Claymore manga, which also seems to be ongoing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:56 pm 

gilgamesh wrote:
I pity the people that started reading it 20 years ago. I might take a look at the Claymore manga, which also seems to be ongoing.

Yeah, Claymore is ongoing, but it seems to be going at a pace that rivals Berserk, with around a chapter/20-30 pages a month.

Page 7 of 9 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next