It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 6:07 am

All times are UTC



Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!





 Page 8 of 9 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Berserk Manga
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:49 pm 
VIP Member

Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 11081
Has thanked: 74 time
Have thanks: 170 time
overpoweredginger wrote:
gilgamesh wrote:
I pity the people that started reading it 20 years ago. I might take a look at the Claymore manga, which also seems to be ongoing.

Yeah, Claymore is ongoing, but it seems to be going at a pace that rivals Berserk, with around a chapter/20-30 pages a month.

The artwork in Claymore is significantly inferior to that in Berserk. The show has great animation. With Berserk, it's the show that has the terrible animation. I doubt I'll bother reading it. I think I'll try and finish the Ghost in the Shell manga first at least. That's not so good either though.



_________________
always wondered why people never use their strongest attack first
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Berserk Manga
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:00 pm 
The Department of Penis Thread Corrections
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:16 pm
Posts: 6027
Location: Your Mother's Basement
Has thanked: 120 time
Have thanks: 207 time
I'm kind of mixed with what happened to Puck over the series. When it was just Guts and Puck, before the new characters were introduced (mainly Ishidoro, but Evarella as well), Puck was a great foil to Guts, providing a naive/idealistic point of view to the story that contrasted well with Guts (particularly during the Lost Children story). Now, Puck is purely comic relief, and while he is good comic relief, his role in the story has been reduced to "keeping the audience from taking this too seriously".

However, this might just be a result of the tonal shift throughout the series.

Also: Fuck Sonia, she's a bitch. It's interesting, though, that she's basically a poor man's Casca (pre-eclipse), and Casca was awesome when Griffith was awesome, and now Sonia's a bitch now that Griffith's a bitch.

2nd Edit: The difference in art styles between the Kushan Apostles and the New Hawk Apostles is also interesting, with the NHA being closer to badass takes on real animals, and with the Kushan Apostles being more like the original Apostle design (creepy tentacley Lovecraftian monsters o' doom).



_________________
"I'm like an escalator because I can never break; I can only become stairs." - Mitch Hedberg
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Berserk Manga
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:57 pm 
VIP Member

Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 11081
Has thanked: 74 time
Have thanks: 170 time
overpoweredginger wrote:
I'm kind of mixed with what happened to Puck over the series. When it was just Guts and Puck, before the new characters were introduced (mainly Ishidoro, but Evarella as well), Puck was a great foil to Guts, providing a naive/idealistic point of view to the story that contrasted well with Guts (particularly during the Lost Children story). Now, Puck is purely comic relief, and while he is good comic relief, his role in the story has been reduced to "keeping the audience from taking this too seriously".

However, this might just be a result of the tonal shift throughout the series.

Also: Fuck Sonia, she's a bitch. It's interesting, though, that she's basically a poor man's Casca (pre-eclipse), and Casca was awesome when Griffith was awesome, and now Sonia's a bitch now that Griffith's a bitch.

2nd Edit: The difference in art styles between the Kushan Apostles and the New Hawk Apostles is also interesting, with the NHA being closer to badass takes on real animals, and with the Kushan Apostles being more like the original Apostle design (creepy tentacley Lovecraftian monsters o' doom).

I did feel Puck served less and less purpose as things went on. Isidoro kind of provided the comic relief for the later sections of the story. There wasn't need for much more of it. I also felt that things started to move into shounen territory around the 4th arc which I wasn't so pleased about. The way Guts beat bigger and bigger monsters, pulling off over the top feats wasn't really in tone with the first arc at all and was very shounen esque. I think the later parts were inspired by jRPG's too. Not the other way around like I thought. I kind of forgot that the later sections of the manga were only made a couple of years ago. Shriek and her magic seemed liked a bit of a Deus Ex Machina in places, which are very prevalent in the shounen genre of anime/manga(the way Clare beat the Precilla in Claymore was a pure deus ex machina) and seem out of place in Berserk. It is still entertaining but I feel it's starting to lose its gritty realism that it started off with. If the manga goes on for that much longer it's inevitably going to suffer more and more. It really should just end soon.

With regards to Caska, I didn't like her all that much at the start of the first arc. She seemed really bitchy and too eager to prove things to herself and Griffith. That kind of feminist nonsense annoys me but I did start to like her a lot more as things went on. The part where she said she never asked to be a woman was quite touching. I would prefer Farneze overall though. Griffith started off being a very complex character but after the eclipse I didn't know what to make of him. Was it even the same Griffith? There was no development with him. I love Zodd and the Skull Knight though. I want to see another battle with Guts and Zodd. When they first met, Zodd beat Guts, when they met again it was more or less a stalemate. Another battle could shift things in Guts' favour.

I think the films are meant to go on up as far as where the manga is. The intro to the first film showed all the main cahracters that Gut encounters and him in the berserker armour. So if things go well it will be mroe than just the Golden Age arc that is covered in it. I'm looking forward to them, but I don't know why the second one is taking so long to come out here.



_________________
always wondered why people never use their strongest attack first
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Berserk Manga
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:08 am 
The Department of Penis Thread Corrections
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:16 pm
Posts: 6027
Location: Your Mother's Basement
Has thanked: 120 time
Have thanks: 207 time
I feel like that when more characters are introduced, the less they become "characters" and more "characterizations". Until right about when Farneze and Serpico joined Guts/the end of Conviction is when the really good characters pretty much stopped. You had Guts, the Count, Casca, Griffith, Corkus, Rosine, the Egg Apostle, Mozgu & Co. (mostly the Co.), Farenze, and Serpico/Jill/the Count's daughter were interesting. I very much doubt that anybody would be added to that list from the Millennium Falcon arc. Schierke has an interesting thing going for her, what with her being forced to grow up to respond to her circumstances, and her assuming a role similar to Flora's after Flora's death, but not much is done with that.

While the series has quite a distance to go until it reaches "bad" territory, it's hardly the gem of modern storytelling that it once was.



_________________
"I'm like an escalator because I can never break; I can only become stairs." - Mitch Hedberg
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Berserk Manga
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:33 am 
VIP Member

Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 11081
Has thanked: 74 time
Have thanks: 170 time
overpoweredginger wrote:
I feel like that when more characters are introduced, the less they become "characters" and more "characterizations". Until right about when Farneze and Serpico joined Guts/the end of Conviction is when the really good characters pretty much stopped. You had Guts, the Count, Casca, Griffith, Corkus, Rosine, the Egg Apostle, Mozgu & Co. (mostly the Co.), Farenze, and Serpico/Jill/the Count's daughter were interesting. I very much doubt that anybody would be added to that list from the Millennium Falcon arc. Schierke has an interesting thing going for her, what with her being forced to grow up to respond to her circumstances, and her assuming a role similar to Flora's after Flora's death, but not much is done with that.

While the series has quite a distance to go until it reaches "bad" territory, it's hardly the gem of modern storytelling that it once was.

You would have to give it credit for lasting over 20 years and still not entered the realm of shitness. I think that's one of the reasons why it's appreciated so much by people that have been following it over the decades. Miura does at least make the effort. From what I hear, Naruto started production in 2001 and is on its 41st volume and turned to shit quite early. Miura at least takes the time to produce good material, that's something I will give him credit for. I've glanced over lots of manga and haven't seen as good artwork in anything I glanced at. The way he renders the human body in particular is really well done.

You should watch the anime and/or the films. I always prefer to watch rather than read but am glad I read through Berserk. It may not be the greatest story ever told(I don't think any such thing even exists) but it's the greatest fantasy/medieval story I experienced anyway.



_________________
always wondered why people never use their strongest attack first
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Berserk Manga
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:38 am 
The Department of Penis Thread Corrections
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:16 pm
Posts: 6027
Location: Your Mother's Basement
Has thanked: 120 time
Have thanks: 207 time
gilgamesh wrote:
overpoweredginger wrote:
I feel like that when more characters are introduced, the less they become "characters" and more "characterizations". Until right about when Farneze and Serpico joined Guts/the end of Conviction is when the really good characters pretty much stopped. You had Guts, the Count, Casca, Griffith, Corkus, Rosine, the Egg Apostle, Mozgu & Co. (mostly the Co.), Farenze, and Serpico/Jill/the Count's daughter were interesting. I very much doubt that anybody would be added to that list from the Millennium Falcon arc. Schierke has an interesting thing going for her, what with her being forced to grow up to respond to her circumstances, and her assuming a role similar to Flora's after Flora's death, but not much is done with that.

While the series has quite a distance to go until it reaches "bad" territory, it's hardly the gem of modern storytelling that it once was.

You would have to give it credit for lasting over 20 years and still not entered the realm of shitness. I think that's one of the reasons why it's appreciated so much by people that have been following it over the decades. Miura does at least make the effort. From what I hear, Naruto started production in 2001 and is on its 41st volume and turned to shit quite early. Miura at least takes the time to produce good material, that's something I will give him credit for. I've glanced over lots of manga and haven't seen as good artwork in anything I glanced at. The way he renders the human body in particular is really well done.

You should watch the anime and/or the films. I always prefer to watch rather than read but am glad I read through Berserk. It may not be the greatest story ever told(I don't think any such thing even exists) but it's the greatest fantasy/medieval story I experienced anyway.

Oh dear God Naruto, I weep for what happened to that series. Anyway, I might give the films/anime a shot, although I'm not much of a fan of reading animes that I've already read in manga format.



_________________
"I'm like an escalator because I can never break; I can only become stairs." - Mitch Hedberg
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Berserk Manga
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:21 pm 
VIP Member

Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 11081
Has thanked: 74 time
Have thanks: 170 time
overpoweredginger wrote:
gilgamesh wrote:
overpoweredginger wrote:
I feel like that when more characters are introduced, the less they become "characters" and more "characterizations". Until right about when Farneze and Serpico joined Guts/the end of Conviction is when the really good characters pretty much stopped. You had Guts, the Count, Casca, Griffith, Corkus, Rosine, the Egg Apostle, Mozgu & Co. (mostly the Co.), Farenze, and Serpico/Jill/the Count's daughter were interesting. I very much doubt that anybody would be added to that list from the Millennium Falcon arc. Schierke has an interesting thing going for her, what with her being forced to grow up to respond to her circumstances, and her assuming a role similar to Flora's after Flora's death, but not much is done with that.

While the series has quite a distance to go until it reaches "bad" territory, it's hardly the gem of modern storytelling that it once was.

You would have to give it credit for lasting over 20 years and still not entered the realm of shitness. I think that's one of the reasons why it's appreciated so much by people that have been following it over the decades. Miura does at least make the effort. From what I hear, Naruto started production in 2001 and is on its 41st volume and turned to shit quite early. Miura at least takes the time to produce good material, that's something I will give him credit for. I've glanced over lots of manga and haven't seen as good artwork in anything I glanced at. The way he renders the human body in particular is really well done.

You should watch the anime and/or the films. I always prefer to watch rather than read but am glad I read through Berserk. It may not be the greatest story ever told(I don't think any such thing even exists) but it's the greatest fantasy/medieval story I experienced anyway.

Oh dear God Naruto, I weep for what happened to that series. Anyway, I might give the films/anime a shot, although I'm not much of a fan of reading animes that I've already read in manga format.

I never bothered watch/read it. Reading animes? Is that a joke about the animation quality of the series? The manga is better but I would still say the series is worth a watch. If not, you should give the films a go though. The first film wasn't great but it was at least good anyway. The second looks better and it's meant to be more faithful to the manga overall.



_________________
always wondered why people never use their strongest attack first
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Berserk Manga
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:20 pm 
VIP Member

Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 11081
Has thanked: 74 time
Have thanks: 170 time
I'm on the last chapter written so far anyway. It's the start of volume 37. It must have just been recently written. I like how it went back to Guts' childhood again. I found this moment to be great. That kind of gritty realism has been missing in some of the more recent chapters.



_________________
always wondered why people never use their strongest attack first
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Berserk Manga
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:04 pm 
The Department of Penis Thread Corrections
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:16 pm
Posts: 6027
Location: Your Mother's Basement
Has thanked: 120 time
Have thanks: 207 time
I think there's been a single chapter written/translated since your last post. I'm sad.



_________________
"I'm like an escalator because I can never break; I can only become stairs." - Mitch Hedberg
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Berserk Manga
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:55 am 
supreme adder
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:02 am
Posts: 3400
Location: Addoria
Has thanked: 29 time
Have thanks: 249 time
Is this some sort of particularly vigorous manga?


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 8 of 9 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


suspicion-preferred