It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:01 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Best hiphop albums
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:23 am 
Audrey Horne

Have thanks: 492 time
let's get this party started, post your favourite hiphop/rap albums ever. if needed, we can also create a best hiphop songs thread.

here are some of mine in no particular order (the first is the best though imo). i will create a special list for albums produced by Kanye West because there are simply too many great albums he produced. imo, he will be most remembered for his producing than anything else. and rightly so

this is not really a list of the best ever because that's impossible given the immense amount of great rap records, I mainly try to share a nice selection of varying albums to show how great hiphop records can manifest themselves. i will also not go into some amazing german rap records, for obvious reasons.

Black on both sides - Mos Def
Great sampling, great beats, great featuring artists like Busta Rhymes in his prime, very complex lyrics and the rhythmically and poetically best rapper ever. An absolute must!!

Illmatic - Nas
It's really amazing that he was 19 when he recorded this album. A true urban masterpiece. I feel really gangster when I listen to it during busrides 8-)

The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill - Lauryn Hill
She's basically the only rapping woman I actually enjoy listening to. It's an amazing debut album and really benefits from her being able to rap as well as sing like the best of them.

Enter the Wu-Tang Clan - Wu-Tang Clan
I have to include a Wu record here. Probably the most amazing collection of talent hiphop has ever seen.

The Low End Theory - A tribe called quest
ATCQ is the most underrated great rap group, to me. Their beats and samples are stylistically truer to the Jazz originals, which perfectly suits the smooth rapping style of the group. They also wrote some of the best lyrics in hiphop history

Every Eminem album up until Encore - Eminem
The albums are not very album-ey, but dear god, every album is like an Eminem best of in its own right. There's a great variety of quiet, incredibly angry and hateful (SCREAM ***** SCREAM!!) and comedic songs.

Power in numbers - Jurassic 5
It's really hard to find the obvious best Jurassic 5 record, this just serves as one example of a great hiphop album by the second most underrated rap group after ATCQ.

New Danger - Mos Def
This is hardly a pure hiphop record. It includes Mos Def's rockband, him singing, etc. I'm pretty sure Ghetto Rock was nominated for best "alternative song" during the Grammies, iirc. It sort of feels like a great Prince album in that it just plows through genres seemlessly. It's a difficult record to get into, I suppose, but I really wanted to mention it.

Now, there's still EPMD, Public Enemy, MF Doom, Danger Doom, Mobb Deep, Madvillain, NWDA, Dre, Run DMC, Biggie, Tupac, Black Star, Common, The Fugees (The Score!!), OutKast, Slum Village, J Dilla, The Roots and more modern artists like Kendrick Lamar, etc. but I trust in you filling the gaps

Like I said, a Kanye specific list including Jay Z, some of his own albums, Common, etc. is coming soon.

MOMMA SAID KNOCK YOU OUT

Do I want a house, or do I want a boat?
Begogian has been thanked by:

Post subject: Re: Best hiphop albums
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:54 pm 
hell knight

Have thanks: 243 time
ahah nice you made the thread.

There's a lot of **** hip hop out there imho and a lot of the best albums are sometimes not even that widely known.

My #1 Hip Hop album is Liquid Swords by GZA. Timeless classic. It's easily better than the Wu Tang stuff imo, which is incredible given how good Wu Tang already is.

Some of my other favorites include:

Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030

Collab with Del Tha Funky Homosapien and some others. Easily the best album from Del imho. It's futuristic themed and it tells the story of the world in the year 3030, really really cool. Amazing writing and flow.

Danger Doom - The Mouse and the Mask

Collab between MF Doom and Danger Mouse. Both are obviously amazing musicians and this album just screams excellence.

NWA - Straight Outta Compton

Timeless classic. Some of the best West Coast gangsta rap. Most people know this album.

I really like Nujabes too, but I need some time to pick fav albums and stuff since I just started listening.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:39 pm 
baron of hell

Have thanks: 266 time
I'll post more when I get some time but for now let me drop

Roc Marciano- Marcberg

Currensy- pilot talk

Action Bronson - Blue chips one and two (especially two IMO!!!)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:43 am 
bran the barn owl

Have thanks: 235 time
Begogian wrote:

The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill - Lauryn Hill

listening to this now, thx for the reminder.
mildly triggering (lol) since it was the soundtrack for my 1st linear algebra class.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:44 am 
bran the barn owl

I mean I sat and listened to it while I did hours and hours of homework. Not during the actual class.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:59 am 
Audrey Horne

everything = everything

Begogian has been thanked by:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:06 pm 
bran the barn owl

my contribution, besides agreeing w/ a lot of what's already been said is Atmosphere: The Family Sign. Listen to it asap imho.
Honorable mention to God Loves Ugly (also Atmosphere.)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:32 am 
hell knight

Have thanks: 133 time
Hear me out:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:50 pm 
Audrey Horne

clllllassic