It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:27 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 22 [ 213 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Doom
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:18 pm 
Audrey Horne

Have thanks: 499 time
the internet doesn't like the yellow colour palette

https://twitter.com/RatCasket/status/61 ... 73/photo/1

http://kotaku.com/players-are-fixing-th ... 1712397056

Do I want a house, or do I want a boat?

Post subject: Re: Doom
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:37 pm 
spectre

Have thanks: 34 time
Not only is the gameplay slow, but why does the player or the script that makes this demo look around so infuriatingly slowly??? I NEED TO BREATHE HEEELP

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:54 pm 
hell knight

Have thanks: 133 time
It looks like it's not quite the projectile dodging ballet that classic Doom was, with much faster imp fireballs and slower running speeds, but it does have health packs, a health bar, and no shitty cover shooting. It looks more like crowd control and health management than dodging. Not necessarily a bad thing. I would have liked an older style of game though since I never got to experience it in its heyday and most of my peers have never fired up GZDoom or dealt with wads, and likely never will.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:53 pm 
revenant

Have thanks: 36 time
Complaining about the color is silly. With the same logic, people should have complained about Human Revolution's yellow filter as well, because the original Deus Ex didn't have any.

Now, I do agree about the speed, though. The gameplay seemed pretty slow-paced, and it doesn't feel like an old-school shooter. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, though.

I mean, if we wanted a game totally loyal to the original, then it shouldn't use the mouse either. Playing Doom 1 and 2 with mouse is blasphemy. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:50 pm 
The Department of Penis Thread Corrections

Have thanks: 207 time
DOOM holds up incredibly well imo, considering it's older than me. The movement and gun handling just feels so good. My only issue is that inadvertently moving the mouse forwards/backwards moves DOOMguy in the same direction, but there's probably a mod for that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:06 am 
foreskin enthusiast

Have thanks: 75 time
[quote="alerommel"]I mean, if we wanted a game totally loyal to the original, then it shouldn't use the mouse either. Playing Doom 1 and 2 with mouse is blasphemy. :)

The manuals for the original Doom recommend using the mouse once you're comfortable with keyboard-only controls.

This looked pretty mediocre, but better than expected. Definitely console **** though. Hueg UI, likely segmented levels, limited enemies on screen (so far), and all those stupid health drops instead of items that you actually have to expend a bit of effort to find... I will be able to participate in the beta included with NeueWolf, but I likely won't buy the whole game unless SnapMap is highly customizable.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:12 am 
Audrey Horne

Have thanks: 499 time
People did complain about DX being too yellow iirc. they also complained about f3 being too green

Do I want a house, or do I want a boat?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:11 am 
revenant

Have thanks: 36 time
Sexbad wrote:
alerommel wrote:
I mean, if we wanted a game totally loyal to the original, then it shouldn't use the mouse either. Playing Doom 1 and 2 with mouse is blasphemy. :)

The manuals for the original Doom recommend using the mouse once you're comfortable with keyboard-only controls.

I wasn't familiar with that at all. But you really don't need the mouse. It also makes the game a little easier.
I think old-school first person shooters (up to Quake), should only be played with keyboard controls, because they were once programmed with that layout in mind.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:33 am 
VIP Member

Have thanks: 171 time
Then mouse is of no real benefit when playing an FPS with only two axes to aim on. I'm pretty sure aiming with a pad is actually better than using a mouse and keyboard in those cases.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:43 am 
hell knight

Have thanks: 133 time
The frequent health drops are there to prevent it from.becoming a cover shooter. The enemies have fasterz though not quite hitscan, attacks that you can't dodge as effectively. The health drops reward killing to keep the momentum going; you have to play aggressicely to survive. It does also potentially mean somewhat more boring linearity though.

Page 1 of 22 [ 213 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next