It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 9:34 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 16 [ 153 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Errant Signal
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:15 pm 
foreskin enthusiast

Have thanks: 75 time
So there's a fellow I've noticed posting his videos around Reddit's gamereviews board like I do, and I quite like what I've seen of his so far. Nothing I've watched yet really constitutes a game review, but then again, I haven't watched most of his stuff yet! He has some very smart things to say about vido gams.

Post subject: Re: Errant Signal
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:37 pm 
simplest of beards

Have thanks: 7 time
"yes, there are turret sections, but even call of duty has plenty of those!" that made me burst a bit.

anyway, i appreciate the fact he tries so hard. it's just that he's wrong on everything he says.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:11 pm 
foreskin enthusiast

Have thanks: 75 time
simplebluebeard wrote:
"yes, there are turret sections, but even call of duty has plenty of those!" that made me burst a bit.

anyway, i appreciate the fact he tries so hard. it's just that he's wrong on everything he says.

I thought that he got everything about DNF right.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:00 am 
hell knight

Have thanks: 133 time
He puts a big emphasis on narrative and very little on gameplay. His tastes don't match my own or that of many other gamers, but he definitely makes valid points about games as a storytelling device.

Then again, that may be because most criticisms lie there. It's where games are most immature as a medium. After all, he doesn't do reviews, he does commentary, and it's more interesting to emphasize improvements rather than things a game does right.

I don't agree with everything he says, particulrly in the Half-life video, but he definitely makes some good points.

Last edited by laifuthegreat on Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:35 pm 
The Department of Penis Thread Corrections

Have thanks: 207 time
laifuthegreat wrote:
He puts a big emphasis on narrative and very little on gameplay. His tastes don't match my own or that of many other gamers, but he definitely makes valid points about games as a storytelling device.

Then again, that may be because most criticisms lie there. It's where games are most immature as a medium. After all, he doesn't do reviews, he does commentary, and it's more interesting to emphasize improvements rather than things a game does right.

actually, his gta4 and to a lesser extent his dead island analysises goes into a fair amount of detail as to how to the gameplay and story intersect, but he is mostly focused on aesthetic focus, story, and themes
by the way, i love the guy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:05 pm 
VIP Member

Have thanks: 2 time
For the most part, I completely agreed on him about DNF, especially the lack of morals. However, if we aren't to judge a video game by how much fun we're having and its visuals, then what do we base it on? Yes, video games can and should be a compelling storytelling device, but this is a medium centered around interactivity. If we aren't enjoying ourselves interacting with the game whilst looking at something that makes our eyes hurt and takes us out the experience, surely this game is a failure. Right? It's the type of thing that makes heavy rain such a bore to play.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:37 pm 
The Department of Penis Thread Corrections

Have thanks: 207 time
genericforumguy wrote:
For the most part, I completely agreed on him about DNF, especially the lack of morals. However, if we aren't to judge a video game by how much fun we're having and its visuals, then what do we base it on? Yes, video games can and should be a compelling storytelling device, but this is a medium centered around interactivity. If we aren't enjoying ourselves interacting with the game whilst looking at something that makes our eyes hurt and takes us out the experience, surely this game is a failure. Right? It's the type of thing that makes heavy rain such a bore to play.

sure, but it can still fail in other ways (the aforementioned dnf "rape" scene). If a game is in any way not enjoyable, then one can assume the developer has failed. sometimes this is not enough to write it off as a '"bad game" (DA:O crashes like a bitch on my machine, but I still love it anyways), but it can certainly damage the experience.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:13 am 
revenant

Have thanks: 82 time
I found his deus ex videos to be completely missing the point at some places. He thought DX3 was trying to give a singular message in a muddled delivery, when it was completely subjective. He called the JC/Helios merger in DX2 a cartoon villain when it was totally obvious that he didn't actually listen to their plan. He didn't understand any of the dialogue after the last boss battle in DX3.

His criticisms over half life were nothing short of baffling, as he had criticized the very nature that made them brilliant to to begin with (Varied gameplay and puzzle solving) and referenced it to being a very controlled experience.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:08 pm 
cacodemon

Have thanks: 0 time
Campion wrote:
I found his deus ex videos to be completely missing the point at some places. He thought DX3 was trying to give a singular message in a muddled delivery, when it was completely subjective. He called the JC/Helios merger in DX2 a cartoon villain when it was totally obvious that he didn't actually listen to their plan. He didn't understand any of the dialogue after the last boss battle in DX3.

His criticisms over half life were nothing short of baffling, as he had criticized the very nature that made them brilliant to to begin with (Varied gameplay and puzzle solving) and referenced it to being a very controlled experience.

Yeah, it's quite strange. The guy seems to be very observant, but the conclusions he forms about many games are completely fucking idiotic.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:21 am 
VIP Member

Have thanks: 170 time
I haven't played Duke Nukem Forever, but Im starting to think I should. Most of his critisisms didn't pertain to the gameplay at all. I have a feeling the game is a bit overhated. I played the demo and didn't like it much, but some of the footage of other sections of the game seems fairly good. Razorfists review kind of opened my eyes a bit to the ways in which a lot of flack towards may be misdirected. It's a first person game where the main character has a body for a start, and if it can get that right, I don't see how so many other games can't. Skyrim, with all it's vast open world and detail still couldn't manage to give the character a fucking body. The point Errant Signal made about the references or lack there of in DNF was a very valid point though.

I agree about the kinasesthetic to an extent. The way he described the stimuli in shooters being important was something I was glad to hear. I think it's very important, it's one of the main reasons why I didn't like l4D. Shooting the zombies just felt like shooting cardboard with a bb gun. Mouse lag is also a very big issue. The Witcher 2 featured serious mouse lag for me, to the point where I outright refused to play it because of it at first. I managed to kind of sort it out and reduce it at least partially since though, to the point where I am willing to play it.

I haven't see any of his other reviews. Im going to watch some now.

Page 1 of 16 [ 153 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next