It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 4:11 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 8 of 10 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Europe
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:05 pm 
hell knight

Have thanks: 133 time
overpoweredginger wrote:
Gilgamesh wrote:
I have to admit, people did get overly emotional about the use of the word vermin.
Plus, you know, it is babitz here, so chances are it's obnoxious hyperbole rather than malicious verbiage.

I know it's obnoxious hyperbole. I know Babitz. Hell, I like Babitz. But it's obnoxious.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:15 pm 
Audrey Horne

Have thanks: 498 time
a thousand times yes

Do I want a house, or do I want a boat?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:59 pm 
foreskin enthusiast

Have thanks: 75 time

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:05 pm 
foreskin enthusiast

Have thanks: 75 time
Some good points, but riddled with emotional appeals.

HOW COULD YOU NOT WANT THIS GIRL IN YOUR COUNTRY? ALL REFUGEES AND EVEN ECONOMIC MIGRANTS ARE JUST LIKE A GIRL IN A WHEELCHAIR WHO WATCHES DAYS OF OUR LIVES.

It's also really weird how he called out Denmark for publishing things in Arabic saying that you might want to choose a place other than Denmark if you can because it sucks. The Hungarian mayor with the one van was top kurwa though.

Sexbad has been thanked by:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:15 am 
hell knight

Sexbad wrote:

Describes reddit well

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:04 am 
Audrey Horne

[quote="Sexbad"]Some good points, but riddled with emotional appeals.

100% agree. One thing that really annoys me about this (and Babitz has tried to make my Humans of New York posts about this, too) is that many people try the sentimental route when trying to convince people. The reason why I posted these tragic stories is to "debunk" the "there are no real refugees" theory of Babitz, not to make anyone cry or emotionally blackmail someone. Imo, someone whose sister received the decapitated head of their brother who was killed by a terrorist group is more than just an "economic refugee". This segment was at its lowest when he said things like WHO WOULDN'T WANT THIS GURL TO BE AN ASTRONAUT. It spoils the solid rest, which is a shame.
*However*, it's a bit alarming that pointing out emotional blackmail and consequently acting undazzedly because something has been presented rather crudely (although the subject matter is actually true and relevant), is being regarded as such a high virtue in these types of discussions. I'm not a fan of neither emotional blackmail nor the condescending I have no feels you ****** attitude. Both are quite plump and easy.

I don't understand your problems with the Denmark bit. There was a similar video from the German ministry of defense or something months and months ago where they portrayed a rainy, uncomfortable Germany. There was a huge shitstorm and they apologized. How things have changed, eh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:39 pm 
hell knight

I think empathy is a core part of discussions like these. Before anyone will be convinced that refugees need housing, even given that they believe that there are genuine refugees and they are no economic threat and all that factual nuance, they need to empathize with these people. I don't understand the disdain with which emotional appeals are regarded, as if reason and reason alone can get us anywhere.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:23 pm 
Audrey Horne

The problem is that it can be easily used to manipulate. You just need to find one disabled child whose experience helps your argument to make everyone who disagrees look like an *******. It's often used in a cheap way, imo, and John Oliver has certainly used this trick in the segment. If you remember, I posted some commentary on Merkel and the Palestinian girl some time ago (context: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/j ... er-germany this is not the commentary, but an article about what happened). This incidence could've been easily used by her (or the opposition) with statements like "Who wouldn't want this lovely Palestinian girl as part of their community", but Merkel chose to be calm and rational about it, because blind optimism won't solve that problem. And, to my surprise (she's German after all), (mostly) everyone else chose to remain calm as well. She was mostly praised for her honesty, even by the girl herself. (fyi: I believe that in the end, weeks later, they let her stay in Germany, actually; it worked out)

I think there is always a place for empathy, always. But it can't be the sole reason for political actions as enormous as the ones we're talking about in this thread. There's just too much at stake. The European Union is everything but stable atm and has suffered from making emotional choices already time and again. Like I said: I'm not a fan of neither emotional blackmail nor the condescending I have no feels you ****** attitude. Both are quite plump and easy.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:08 pm 
The Department of Penis Thread Corrections

Have thanks: 207 time
Quote:
For the first time since the creation of Europe’s monetary union, a member state has taken the explicit step of forbidding eurosceptic parties from taking office on the grounds of national interest.Anibal Cavaco Silva, Portugal’s constitutional president, has refused to appoint a Left-wing coalition government even though it secured an absolute majority in the Portuguese parliament and won a mandate to smash the austerity regime bequeathed by the EU-IMF Troika.

Well, this is going to be interesting.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/econ ... power.html

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:57 pm 
baron of hell

Have thanks: 266 time
lol!!!

Page 8 of 10 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next