It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:25 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 17 of 19 [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fallout New Vegas
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:06 pm 
hell knight

Have thanks: 245 time
I think the reason you find the main plot thin is because there's so many different ways of going about it. The development time was really short so it probably meant that all paths could use a bit more content.

I think the Legion and NCR quest lines by the end of the game are definitely the most interesting ones though. My favorite endings are House and Yes Man, but I like the quests leading up to the others much better.

Also you're gonna love the DLCs imo.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:34 pm 
baron of hell

Have thanks: 266 time
Begogian wrote:

More over, i don't like how the game sort of pushes you to choose between NCR and The Legion by making the other factions comparetively underdeveloped. I expect to miss a whole lot of quests and story details due to me not joining any of those two factions. I'll do the Yes Man thing.

Also, I decided to do the DLCs after the main game. My time is limited, so I'd like to do the DLCs in small portions with the main game already finished imho.

This is definitely related to the short development time imo, and another reason to rag about bethesda XD
I do lie the way the game is set up because it encourages multiple playthroughs. I did yes man first, then legion (with a female melee character, it was very interesting), then ncr. House can eat a bag of dicks though, never did his storyline.

The dlcs are like standalone little stories, so what youre planning is perfect, an p much the natural way to do it, since they didnt come out untill later on.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:03 pm 
Audrey Horne

Have thanks: 492 time
Yeah I realize I'm late to the party. There's a high chance of me not ever replaying because life has caught up with me quite significantly. I can see it being designed for multiple playthrough (female, pro-legion melee character sounds exciting), but as it is, it allows for some pretty unsatisfying results if you do only one playthrough. So far, the characters revolving the main quest are non-characters. There is barely anything to them at all at 90 (!) hours in. House is nothing but a face and an army, the NCR doesn't really have someone I would call a representative leader with a unique character (except for the old guy who is forging those radio messages), it's hard to learn anything about the Legion without joining them, BoS is lame, Followers unfinished, Marcus just stands around in Jacobstown, etc. So in that respect, the writers definitely failed. The characters in the main storyline are incredibly underdeveloped. Except for Caesar, maaaaybe. I got to learn a little bit about him recently.
I suppose you get to know more about House if you do his storyline or whatever, but it seems like the conclusion I'm aiming at (Yes Man) will leave a lot of questions unanswered. I feel like I'm missing out on the most revealing quests by not allying with the NCR or the Legion. I can't make an informed decision because in order to have an informed opinion, I'd have to join all of them at some point. In multiple playthroughs. That's quite disappointing. So **** it: I'll join the Kings because the Kings are the best and I will be the dictator of it all without really knowing anyone or anything. I guess.

I know I'm mostly criticizing here, I actually really like the game. It's my favourite Fallout game and I haven't even played the DLCs. It just hurts to see so many things that they didn't fully explore and finish. It also hurts to see that it's yet another "true" RPG that is terribly balanced.

Do I want a house, or do I want a boat?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:01 pm 
baron of hell

Thats kind of the point of fallout though, to replay it in different ways, it just enhances the roleplaying aspect. Id say I prefer 1 and 2 (esp 1), but new vegas is a solid game all things considered and I really enjoyed my time with it. Especially the replays, because you know it better and you know some characters and its just fun to explore the alternate way, betray old allies etc.

Having this conversation makes me want to do a run XDDD I also dont have much time anymore (or interest) but it helps that I hardly ever play any new games.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:40 pm 
Audrey Horne

Yeah I know, but I also feel like a 90 hour experience should deliver some more answers, conclusions and payoffs. I just killed Mr. House, a character I've basically never known. That's not good. The Yes Man ending seems to be the worst for a first playthrough imho. I know jack ****.

Anyway, I could really use some help!! I killed House, installed Yes Man into the mainframe and now I don't have anything to do! It feels like some script hasn't been triggered. I can talk to Yes Man but the only option the game gives me is to tell him to spare the Omertas (which I DON'T want him to do and which is marked as "optional" in the quest thingy). I already tried leaving the Lucky 38 in the hopes of some scripted event, but nothing happened. What am I supposed to do?!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:44 pm 
Audrey Horne

Ok so this part of the game is annoyingly broken. Not only does the game not clearly communicate what "ignoring" certain factions actually means, it also doesn't seem to know what "optional" means. So I went ahead and "ignored" the Omertas (whatever that means) in order to be able to continue the game. I started the quest with the president, which is clearly broken. I needed to kill and revive the quest initiator in order to be able to start the quest and I stumbled upon a bug that kills the president anyway, even if you do all the right things. I really liked the quest once it started because it felt really exciting, but I did have to google myself through most of the quest, which is rly rly bad. Worst quest of the game so far. I don't care whose fault it is. Obsidian should've removed an (optional!) quest like that if it's *that* broken.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:51 pm 
baron of hell

yep, I also found it to be a ******** quest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:15 pm 
Audrey Horne

Finished the game. I've got to say: The end is clearly the game's weakest part. It doesn't hurt the game much, given how bad the overall main storyline is, but this game deserved better. I will continue with the DLCs around Christmas imho. Anyway, I basically already shared all my thoughts on it, so I'll make it short: Good game with the best open world narrative design I've seen so far. Sadly, it's tragically unfinished and unbalanced. That's sort of my takeaway. I'm glad I played it, that's for sure. I'm really sad I didn't play it much sooner, given how replay-friendly it probably is.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:56 pm 
hell knight

Have thanks: 245 time
You said yourself but you'd like the main quest more if you played all the faction endings. The power struggle is what's interesting. Like MrBTongue says the setting becomes the story. Anyway yes the quest you mentioned seems buggy. Maybe they wanted you to go kill them yourself but that's weird too.

Anyway do the DLCs now!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:44 pm 
Audrey Horne

Well, I can't say if I'd like it more, because I *haven't* played all the faction endings. Imo 100h of game should be enough to tell a satisfying version of a story. So in that respect, the game does fail. Pointing at multiple playthroughs is lazy design, imo. Each playthrough needs to be satisfying in its own right. If the Yes Man ending is only satisfying on the 2nd/3rd run, it shouldn't be an option on a first run. It literally had 100 hours to explain some things (I was very, very thorough).

Anyway, I really really liked the open world narrative design. I definitely agree that the world tells a story. Not really sure if the actual story itself is that "great", but the storytelling definitely is. I can't, however, ignore that the main storyline does introduce characters that basically go nowhere. You're even forced to kill some of them off soon after you've found them (Benny). Btw, the Benny decision was bs, too. I happened to have all the necessary items to rescue him by accident, so I tried to do that and both of us got attacked and killed immediately. I wasn't even motivated to save him from a roleplaying perspective, but I desperately tried to keep him alive in order to have an actual character who's directly involved with my character's basic premise (Courier being shot in the head by guy in a chequered suit). Being forced to kill him not only ruined his story arc, but also spoiled my character's story arc. The game continuously does that. That's quite a big narrative shortcoming for a game that renowned for its story.

Begogian has been thanked by:

Page 17 of 19 [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next