It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:22 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 5 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Favorite books/authors?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:33 pm 
demon

Have thanks: 0 time
shockingly, one of my fave books is a young adult's book *gasp! he must be dumb*! No not J.K Rowling, Derek Landy! His skulduggery pleasant book won Irish book of the decade.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:51 pm 
hell knight

Have thanks: 133 time
I absolutely love The Hobbit by Tolkein, but I can't get into the Lord of the Rings. They just don't pull me in, and I'm not sure why. Perhaps it's the loss of an upbeat tone, or the fact that its plot moves at a slower pace, but I haven't ever tried so hard and failed to get through a book.

One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest (thank you for spelling suggestions) is another favorite.

Nineteen Eighty-Four is one of my favorites, and it made me want to freaking kill myself when it ended.

2001: A Space Odyssey is a fantastic sci-fi novel, and, in my opinion, it beats out the movie in several aspects.

I like Brave New World, but it's not as striking, nor as realistic as Nineteen Eighty-Four.

Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game series is very good. The series gets worse as it progresses though. The first 2 were very good, the second being a bit ponderous and slow. The following was equally slow, with an ending that was a bit of a stretch (with that whole teleportation thing). I haven't read Children of the Mind, and though Ender's Shadow is great, the books that follow are little more than thrillers.

Eoin Colfer is pretty good. His Artemis Fowl series are great young adult novels, and "And Another Thing..." is a fantastic post-mortem impersonation of Douglas Adams.

Harry Potter is an obvious choice for young adults. It's really great, but the epilogue (19 years later) is a cheap way of bringing closure that just makes me feel less satisfied than if it hadn't been there.

The Godfather is a great novel. I liked it a lot better than the film, probably because I read it first, reducing the impact of the adaptation.

@MurphyPendleton Isn't L. Ron Hubbard the guy that started Scientology? The church that invaded the FBI to get rid of all incriminating records of itself? He's a novelist as well?

Did someone just post the Halo novels? Not to criticize, but I really don't think that the Halo's mythos even makes sense.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:11 pm 
demon

Oh speaking of books that were better than the movie. The Bourne Identity. I really like the movies but that book is so good. Most of Ludlum´s other books that I´ve read are kinda cheesy but here the mystery of who is this guy, is he an assassin or what and whats up with Carlos all the cool stuff that happens.. it´s just a great read.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:12 pm 
foreskin enthusiast

Have thanks: 75 time
Scientology stems from one of Hubbard's novels. I don't actually know which, though.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:49 pm 
big fat controller

Have thanks: 1 time
laifuthegreat wrote:
@MurphyPendleton Isn't L. Ron Hubbard the guy that started Scientology? The church that invaded the FBI to get rid of all incriminating records of itself? He's a novelist as well?

Hubbard believed that all science fiction literature were actually visions of the future, or lost memories from the past, or something. Whatever he thought, the idea was that he wasn't writing science fiction, he was writing science fact.

I love Scientology, though. Every time I look at the old religions and think, man, that would never happen today, I just remember Scientology and think yes it would!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:50 pm 
spectre

laifuthegreat
Yes, L Ron Hubbard was a science fiction author, as well as a con artist before becoming the father of Scientology, that's why I find him and his followers so fascinating.
I'm pretty sure it came from one of his self-help books, either Scientology: A New Slant On Life, or Dianetics.

It's all about Battlefield Earth though. If you're in the mood for a "So Bad, It's Good" read, pick it up. Put the movie in your cart as well. It's hilarious.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:49 pm 
bran the barn owl

Have thanks: 236 time
laifuthegreat wrote:
I like Brave New World, but it's not as striking, nor as realistic as Nineteen Eighty-Four.

Have you read We by Yevgeny Zamyatin? If not, you should check it out. Apparently Huxley and Orwell were both "influenced" by it. (read: ripped off?)

For the record, I have read and enjoyed all three.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:56 pm 
bran the barn owl

Have thanks: 236 time
Oh, someone else mentioned Fahrenheit 451. If you're into the dystopian thing, Bradbury does some great short stories, too. I remember scaring the shit out of myself with them when I was about 9-10 years old. This one in particular:

http://www.jerrywbrown.com/datafile/dat ... adbury.pdf

The description of the silhouettes of the family members is what got (gets) me!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:47 am 
cacodemon

Have thanks: 7 time
My all time favourite author is probably Terry Pratchett. Brilliant mind trapped in the body of someone who writes books.. Also, Orson Scott Card and Frank Herbert's books always had me coming back for more, so I guess they count as well.

As for favourite books it's probably a tie between 1984 and Ender's Game, because both of those books had such an strong impact on me when I was young, and I never tire of rereading them.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:34 am 
hell knight

Have thanks: 133 time
asfm wrote:
Hubbard believed that all science fiction literature were actually visions of the future, or lost memories from the past, or something. Whatever he thought, the idea was that he wasn't writing science fiction, he was writing science fact.

I love Scientology, though. Every time I look at the old religions and think, man, that would never happen today, I just remember Scientology and think yes it would!

According to wikipedia, scientology raided the FBI and interpol for "erronous records", and attempted to systematically get a woman commited. How does it still exist?

Page 2 of 5 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next