It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:14 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 4 of 5 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Favorite books/authors?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:09 pm 
The Department of Penis Thread Corrections

Have thanks: 207 time
weldon29 wrote:
Harry Potter
*hides*

Your comment fills me with RAAAGE!
(and by that I mean that I think it's massively overrated)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:18 pm 
demon

Have thanks: 0 time
A revised list:
Snowcrash (the only CyberPunk novel that betters Blade Runner or Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep).
Batman: The Long Halloween (the best batman story ever written imo).
Skulduggery Pleasant (one of only two 'children, teens or young adult' book collections to ever have a real effect on me).
Huck Finn (trying to even understand it at the age of seven and revisiting it nine years later can dramatically change your experience).
The Amazing Spiderman by J.M.Straczynski book 1 (The most interesting, funny and gorgeous looking Spiderman tale put to print)
Watchmen (What is there to say?)

In terms of favorite WRITERS, Alan Moore, Frank Miller, JMS, Derek Landy, Stephen Bray and Anthony Horowitz are easily among the top of the literary crop in my book, both in contemporary work and going back a while.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:53 am 
cacodemon

Have thanks: 13 time
Anything dark.
So basically, King, Barker, Poe and Lovecraft.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:33 am 
VIP Member

Have thanks: 2 time
laifuthegreat wrote:
I absolutely love The Hobbit by Tolkein, but I can't get into the Lord of the Rings. They just don't pull me in, and I'm not sure why. Perhaps it's the loss of an upbeat tone, or the fact that its plot moves at a slower pace, but I haven't ever tried so hard and failed to get through a book.

Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game series is very good. The series gets worse as it progresses though. The first 2 were very good, the second being a bit ponderous and slow. The following was equally slow, with an ending that was a bit of a stretch (with that whole teleportation thing). I haven't read Children of the Mind, and though Ender's Shadow is great, the books that follow are little more than thrillers.

Scott Card has really milked that series down to the bone. The original Enders Game is one of my favorite books of all time, Speaker was still good but like you said was jarringly slow, especially against its predecessor. Out of the two, which is Enders Shadow closest to in terms of plot and pacing?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:22 pm 
hell knight

Have thanks: 133 time
genericforumguy wrote:
laifuthegreat wrote:
I absolutely love The Hobbit by Tolkein, but I can't get into the Lord of the Rings. They just don't pull me in, and I'm not sure why. Perhaps it's the loss of an upbeat tone, or the fact that its plot moves at a slower pace, but I haven't ever tried so hard and failed to get through a book.

Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game series is very good. The series gets worse as it progresses though. The first 2 were very good, the second being a bit ponderous and slow. The following was equally slow, with an ending that was a bit of a stretch (with that whole teleportation thing). I haven't read Children of the Mind, and though Ender's Shadow is great, the books that follow are little more than thrillers.

Scott Card has really milked that series down to the bone. The original Enders Game is one of my favorite books of all time, Speaker was still good but like you said was jarringly slow, especially against its predecessor. Out of the two, which is Enders Shadow closest to in terms of plot and pacing?

Ender's Shadow was deliberately written to capture that fast, action-packed pace of the first one. It has an interesting take on the original story and is certainly worth your time.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:15 pm 
spectre

Have thanks: 2 time
Don't really read many novels, I'm more into comic books and that kind of thing. But I do really like A Song of Fire and Ice. I also enjoy reading auto-biographies, provided that they are a person who interests me. Anyway onto the comics:
Watchmen by Alan Moore
The Killing Joke by Alan Moore (In my opinion the best Batman story)
The Long Halloween by Jeph Loeb
The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller
Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis (Probably my favourite comic book)
Preacher by Garth Ennis
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by Alan Moore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:30 pm 
cacodemon

Have thanks: 11 time
Brent Weeks's Lightbringer series is definitely a must read for any fantasy aficionado. ( first time I've ever used that in a sentence). Anything by Brandon Sanderson is great and totally worth it as well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:00 am 

Worm finished today. I'll post it here, as I can safely say that this is one of the best superhero stories I have ever seen, and Worm's current state is basically that of a spit-shined first draft. Go and read it; you won't regret it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:37 am 
VIP Member

Have thanks: 169 time
overpoweredginger wrote:
this is one of the best superhero stories I have ever seen

I don't think that's really saying much. Most super hero stories are very basic. Unbreakable is probably the best I've seen, if it counts.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:21 pm 

I take it you don't may much attention to superhero shit? Two specific stories I had in my head while writing that post were Watchmen and The Dark Knight, neither of which were shabby at all, and besides your average superhero tale is a military operation or two away from being Hideo Kojima levels of ridiculousness. Also Unbreakable was a very good superhero film.

Page 4 of 5 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next