It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:24 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 46 of 48 [ 472 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next
 Post subject: Re: Good Purchases: Caveat Emptor
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:07 pm 
Audrey Horne

Have thanks: 492 time
yeah =/

Do I want a house, or do I want a boat?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:55 am 
revenant

Have thanks: 36 time
Need for Speed Most Wanted is free on Origin, and, apparently you are going to keep the game even after the offer expires.
(That surprised me, because in Steam, after the free period ends, you can't play the game anymore).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:29 am 
Audrey Horne

Oh, that's a thing EA does regularly. I got Nfs: Most Wanted, Bejeweled 3, Jade Empire Special Edition, Peggle, Populous, Sim City 2000 and Theme Hospital for free that way. Steam's trial thing is supposed to make you buy the game after the trial weekend, whereas EA's thing is supposed to make you open up Origin on a regular basis.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:13 pm 
VIP Member

Have thanks: 169 time
I think I'll purchase Rise of the Tomb Raider. I've heard a huge amount of mixed things about it at this point, ranging from those describing it as having great level design and accomplished Metroidvania, with few cutscenes, to those who said it's scripted ****, with cutscenes out the *** and a dreadful story. Only one way to be certain.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:02 pm 
Audrey Horne

I could see me buying RotTR down the road. I like the fact that there are more tombs with puzzles this time around.

oh and btw, I bought The Saboteur on Origin for 1,24 Merkels. Not sure if it's worth the time, but I like the aesthetic.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:03 pm 
revenant

What a shame, I have missed so many interesting games (although I already have a retail version of Jade Empire, but never played it, how is it?)

I definitely preffer what Origin does. Perhaps Steam makes free trials more often than free gifts of Origin, but the fact that you lose the game on Steam afterwards is putting me off to even try to download a trial game. I don't think it's even worth going through entire GBs of downloads just to play a game for a couple of days.

GOG does the same thing as Origin (I have bought for free Alien vs Predator, Akalabeth World of Doom, the original Fallout games etc.), but that's more expected since it's not client based and doesn't have a DRM.

I am very interested into playing Saboteur. I remember the game from years ago but never had the chance to play it. I remember it being hard to find a copy of the game.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:18 pm 
Audrey Horne

I've played Jade Empire retail on my Xbox when it came out and I enjoyed it very much. It's pretty much Knights of The Old Republic lite in a very, very unique and interesting setting. It's no masterpiece, primarily because it's sort of trimmed down and doesn't offer as much choice as really any of the other Bioware RPGs, but it has a nice freeflowing combat system, a well written story and a truly unique setting to offer.

Well, obviously, getting something for free forever is better than getting a free trial, but Steam doesn't need to get its customers into opening up Steam on a regular basis (which is Origin's and Gog's goal with these free games). I think they're covered on that end, since most Steam users have Steam set to launch at startup. They need/want people to buy more stuff on Steam, though. Hence the weekend trials. Origin is in a completely different situation in that it struggles with getting people to even log into Origin when they're not about to play an Origin game, which is why they're offering free games that regularly. People start up Origin more often to check, they stumble upon some sale on the front page and end up potentially buying something completely unrelated. It works. I log in more often and I actually bought Saboteur when I heard the news about Nfs Most Wanted and logged in to get the game. It's a shame it's not the 2005 Nfs Most Wanted, though =/ Also, they tend to give away stuff when they're about to launch some sort of sequel. I got Sim City 2000 around the time they released the most recent Sim City game. I guess they were hoping I would buy the new Sim City or something. I didn't, though, ahah. So yeah, all of them are doing it for strategic reasons, hoping to have more visitors/sales per day or whatever, none of them do it out of the goodness of their hearts. Gog for example usually ties its free products with some sort of The Witcher franchise sale on the front page. It's all a marketing strategy and the way to do it is to give away a really old game that doesn't sell anymore for free in order to make the site/platform more attractive and visible or offer a trial of something that could still potentially sell. For example, I got Portal for free on Steam when they started promoting Portal 2 just like I got Sim City 2000 on Origin when they started promoting the Sim City reboot. Alternatively, I was also able to play Evolve for free on Steam for a weekend (if my PC could've run it) fairly early after its release.

So yeah, I'm with you, I like free things, but at the same time, Steam and Origin are in completely different stages of their life cycle. And yeah, I do enjoy some of these weekend trials on Steam, I can't seriously blame them for not giving me CoD Black Ops 3 for free, but I do enjoy playing 5-10 hours of it on a weekend to never touch it again. It's the sort of thing that lets me play games I'd never actually spend money on, but I can still enjoy for a weekend. It's p nice, imo. It's a free sneak peak and if the game is short enough, you can actually complete it. A couple of months ago, I had an awesome weekend playing a Formula 1 game with my flatmate. Good times. You tend to get pretty recent games for a weekend, whereas the other platforms tend to dump their remains into your game library for free. Honestly, I haven't touched *any* of the free games I got so far from Origin or Gog except for Fallout (iirc). And Peggle. I did buy other games when I visited their respective platforms in order to get the free game, though.

Regarding Saboteur: Yeah, it seems like it's hard to get by, which is why I was happy about that Origin sale. Sadly, it's the game that ultimately killed Pandemic. I loved Mercenaries back in the day. And Battlefront.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:47 pm 
VIP Member

Have thanks: 169 time
I played Jade Empire, on my Xbox years ago. I thought it was a decent game. A bit in the easy side. I remember a number of abilities going redundant. I don't remember much great about the story, but it was probably better than Mass Effect's.

I hope my computer can run RotT. I heard it's one of the best looking games ever made.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:52 pm 
Audrey Horne

Gilgamesh wrote:
I played Jade Empire, on my Xbox years ago. I thought it was a decent game. A bit in the easy side. I remember a number of abilities going redundant. I don't remember much great about the story, but it was probably better than Mass Effect's.

I hope my computer can run RotT. I heard it's one of the best looking games ever made.

Yeah, it's far too easy on normal. It is more enjoyable once you change the difficulty imo.

And yeah, I saw RoT live on a huge TV. It looks pretty amazing at times.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:14 pm 
revenant

@Bego,

The only Bioware game I have played is the original Baldurs Gate, even though I own most of their games (with the exception of Dragon Age and Neverwinter Nights series). LOL. There is barely any free time any more to play more games, and especially RPGs.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. Of course, since I am more into retro gaming, I much rather have older games than newer ones. So I am not that much curious to try a new game, especially if I am going to lose it after the weekend. Chances are even if I download it, it will just stay there unplayed, or even if I play it once, I won't bother with it again before the free trial expires.

By the way, speaking of Steam I have a question:
I think you are German, is that correct? So, if I buy a retail version of a German game (through Ebay for example), that activates on Steam, will I be able to play it on my Steam account, or are there region locking problems? Also, more importantly, do I get the choice to play the game on the original English language, or will I be stuck with the German one (and I barely remember anything from the german language)?

Page 46 of 48 [ 472 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next