It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 6:52 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 47 of 48 [ 472 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next
 Post subject: Re: Good Purchases: Caveat Emptor
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:20 am 
Audrey Horne

Have thanks: 498 time
Yeah I hear you. Time is hard to come by, especially for RPGs. I played a ton of RPGs this year, which killed some of my other hobbies like reading, given the fact that there is a lot of reading involved in a RPG. I want to change that, though, because reading a book is more rewarding than reading in a videogame, imho. I'm not leaving RPGs, I'll just be more selective and spread them out over longer periods of time. But who knows, maybe I'll never touch a reading-heavy RPG ever again. I'll be pretty busy the next couple of months and after that, I'm pretty much done with my studies.

Yeah, same here. I often don't bother downloading the trial. I'm usually not interested in neither the free stuff Gog or Origin offers nor the free trials Steam offers.

I'm pretty sure the keys are region locked. They changed that pretty recently in order to prevent people from buying Russian keys. If you want to go for a Steam key, get a "global" one, imho. And yes, you get to choose English in the options of the game in the Steam library.

Do I want a house, or do I want a boat?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:35 pm 
revenant

Have thanks: 36 time
Thanks for the the reply.

I like reading-based RPGs. I don't compare the time invested with reading a book, simply because reading books and playing games are two distinct things I do. Playing an RPG will take my "gaming" time, not my "reading" one, if you know what I mean.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:09 pm 
Audrey Horne

Yeah I don't enjoy playing an RPG for just an hour at a time, so RPGs tend to absorb almost all of my free time while I'm playing. But I get that some people can do that. I need longer gaming sessions with RPGs in order to immerse myself into the world and actually feel like I'm roleplaying. And I do think that if the majority of the narrative experience is being shown via text, the game is comparable to a book (in a narrative way, not conceptually). So if I want to read a good narrative, I'm better off reading a book rather than reading in a RPG. If I want to roleplay, I'm better off playing a roleplaying game, naturally. Usually, there's far more reading involved in RPGs rather than actually roleplaying, though. Planescape: Torment feels more like a novel with bad combat mechanics rather than a RPG. I recently talked to others on the forum about this, but since you've missed it: I do think that text is a very clumsy way of telling a story in an interactive visual medium like games. Just like music emancipated itself from lyrics in the early 19th century (it's been a long process, but I consider the 19th century to be the most significant century in that respect) and started to be more confident when it comes to its own potential, gaming must embrace its own unique capabilities at some point, which is a compelling and immersive audio/visual interactive experience, not a digital novel with mediocre combat mechanics you don't really need (e.g. Planescape Torment has terrible combat with god mode enabled by default), choices every 30 minutes and character stats you get to modify every couple of hours. And I don't consider reading a gameplay mechanic. Choices are the core mechanic, they don't need to be based on walls of texts. Vampire: TMB is a good example for that. I played a ton of text-based RPGs this year (all of which I loved playing, btw), so I'm irl a bit allergic to them at the moment, so take all of this with a grain of salt. I ate too much of my favourite meal and now I can't stand it. I do think that, based on the 5-10 hours I've played, something like Planescape Torment is worse as a game than some people make it out to be, but I'll make that judgement once I actually complete it some time this or next year when I'm in the right mood to play a RPG again.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:21 am 
Audrey Horne

ahah, speaking of the devil, alerommel: Steam offers some Sega classics for free on Steam:
Golden Axe
Jet Set Radio
Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit
Hell Yeah! Pimp my Rabbit Pack
Hell Yeah! Virtual Rabbit Missions
Sega Classics

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:28 am 
Audrey Horne

Condemned: Criminal Origins, Binary Domain und Streets of Rage II Steam versions for free

http://www.makewarnotlove.com

soon:

Gunstar Heroes, Renegade Ops, Viking: Battle for Asgard

the SEGA madness continues

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:50 pm 
Audrey Horne

Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault for free on Origin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:36 pm 
VIP Member

Have thanks: 170 time
Binary Domain is a very underappreciated game. While a cover shooter, it has probably the most complex sequence of hit zones on an enemy, of any shooter I've played. It's several notches above Dead Space in that regard. The story is also quite good.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:28 pm 
Audrey Horne

I think I'm going for the whole SEGA package imo

https://www.humblebundle.com/sega-strategy-bundle

Dragon Age DLCs for free, they're pretty good imo

http://www.epicbundle.com/article/dlc-f ... -awakening

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:55 am 
Audrey Horne

Tomb Raider remake for a dolla

http://gamechangercharity.donordrive.co ... ventID=520

Begogian has been thanked by:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:36 pm 
revenant

Have thanks: 82 time
When you said "Tomb Raider remake" I thanks'd immediately.

Page 47 of 48 [ 472 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next