It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 6:10 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 4 of 5 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Graphic Novel recommendations.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:03 am 
VIP Member

Have thanks: 170 time
laifuthegreat wrote:
I often find myself just reading the text of a graphic novel, when that really isn't how it should be read. The fact is that they're graphic novels, a visual as well as text based medium. It's just hard to accustom myself to looking as well as reading something that comes in the format of a book; it's not something I'm used to, but something of value is definitely lost when you ignore the imagery.

I thought the stretch of an ending of Watchmen was probably the weakest part.

I haven't read Watchmen but I've noticed from reading several manga that the visuals do indeed tell a lot of story in a number of cases, especially with Vagabond. It has almost poetic imagery at times. I don't know if manga does classify as a graphic novel but I'm sure the same logic applies.

Can Watchmen be read online anywhere? I might read it sometime. I heard the film is almost identical. If that is the case I might not bother though. I will almost always choose a motion medium over a literary one if it happens to be very faithful.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:56 am 
cacodemon

Have thanks: 18 time
The comic enthusiasts hated the movie because they changed the ending somewhat.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:33 pm 
hell knight

Have thanks: 133 time
The ending of the movie relied on the exact same principles but was much better. The movie had many problems, but the ending wasn't one of them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:58 am 
VIP Member

I've noticed that manga definitely rely more on visuals than comics. You will rarely find a single panel in a comic without some speech bubble in it. With manga there can be several pages without any text. The story would be mostly told through its visuals. It's a bit ironic considering the Japanese love exposition so much.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:06 pm 
The Department of Penis Thread Corrections

Have thanks: 207 time
Everyone loves exposition so much. Have you even played a Bioware game?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:20 pm 
VIP Member

overpoweredginger wrote:
Everyone loves exposition so much. Have you even played a Bioware game?

Yes. I've played Dragon Age 2 so I definitely see what you mean there but it is more common in Japanese stuff. No Bioware game compares to Metal Gear Solid 4 in that regard for instance. Have you you ever read a visual novel? They have bucket loads of exposition. There's nothing inherently wrong with it though. It all depends on how it's handled.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:04 pm 

Two things: One, I'm not sure you know what exposition is, and Two, you seem to be cherry-picking examples. Sure, MGS4 has a large amount of exposition, but in my experience, it doesn't seem to be "bucket loads" more. Sure, it thickens whenever training or special moves happen in your average shounen, but the average FF game isn't much more or less weighted with it than Western games, ignoring in medias res plot structures.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:30 pm 
VIP Member

overpoweredginger wrote:
Two things: One, I'm not sure you know what exposition is, and Two, you seem to be cherry-picking examples. Sure, MGS4 has a large amount of exposition, but in my experience, it doesn't seem to be "bucket loads" more. Sure, it thickens whenever training or special moves happen in your average shounen, but the average FF game isn't much more or less weighted with it than Western games, ignoring in medias res plot structures.

I'm pretty sure I do. I'm not saying it's apparent in all Japanese products. That would be xenophobic, just that in general it seems to be more apparent.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:30 pm 

gilgamesh wrote:
That would be xenophobic

Yer dumb. That isn't xenophobia, that's stereotyping. Stereotyping is also a product of ignorance, rather than intolerance. Xenophobia is saying "Everyone who is not where I'm from is inferior, I hate them, etc."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:52 pm 
VIP Member

overpoweredginger wrote:
Yer dumb. That isn't xenophobia, that's stereotyping. Stereotyping is also a product of ignorance, rather than intolerance. Xenophobia is saying "Everyone who is not where I'm from is inferior, I hate them, etc."

I was only trying to poke fun at people. I know it isn't really xenephobic. I do think there's more to being xenophobic than what you described though. It's not just about thinking you're better than a race, it's to do with their products as well.

Page 4 of 5 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next