It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 3:46 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 5 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Ideas
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:01 am 
jaghut tyrant

Have thanks: 14 time
So what exactly does everyone want to write? If anything.

For me, I want to write some high fantasy with structure like that of A Song of Fire and Ice.
The styles and themes would be very similar to those of 13th century Catholic Europe, with perspectives within witch hunts and the inquisition, crusades and those whom the crusades effect. Specifically, perspectives such as a member of a witch hunter's retinue, the victim or victims of a witch hunt, several crusaders; a chaplain and knights, encountered peoples; enemy soldiers and towns people and enemy spies and assassins. I would like most discussion and soliloquies to entail morality, life and purpose, along with what I perceive to be the mindsets of the pious. The main plot would essentially be the movement from an extreme religious presence into a more extreme version protestant reformation.

Post subject: Re: Ideas
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:48 pm 
demon

Have thanks: 0 time
Personally, my biggest problem with writing is not the actual writing part. I have so many ideas in my head, I'll as quickly get bored with one as I want to move on to the next. As dumb as it sounds, I've always been more a fan of high idea sci fi than anything else and would like to write something along the lines of that. Unfortunatly, science fiction has such a plethora of sub genres, my ideas problem only worsens when I brainstorm. Cyberpunk, steampunk, space westerns... Man, that's a whole lot of awesome! :ugeek:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:14 pm 
big fat controller

Have thanks: 1 time
The big thing that I really want to write (and presently am writing) is a three part fantasy series (three part, but not a trilogy) where each book is set on the same landmass, about the same people, but is separated by thousands of years.

Thinking about the way the world has changed technologically, politically and especially geologically is the motivation to write the series. I can't go into even the basic premise of books 2 and 3 without spoiling book 1, but the basic premise of book 1 is an assassination attempt on a religious leader set against a backdrop of a holy civil war tearing an empire apart. It is essentially one third political wrangling, one third adventure and one third warfare. Although it's a very traditional fantasy world, at least for book 1, I think I've created a very unique world.

I actually started on this story in something like 2004. My original story, as it turns out, is extremely similar to American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I didn't know that until around 2007 when I read that book, and pretty much had to scrap mine and start over with a totally new story. I'm really glad that happened, though, because it's grown into something much grander than what it would have been five years ago.

I'm also really interested in writing a psychological thriller. At first it was going to be a game I made with HLA, but after a lot of hours trying to figure out how to make it work, I just realised that it can't work as a point and click adventure game and that's all we can really make. So then I decided it would be best to make it a graphic novel. Whether or not that will happen I don't know, but if it doesn't, it'll definitely get written as a straight novel.

The story concerns the psychological toll taken on both a serial killer and the man hunting him. The story is inspired by Silent Hill games, but the main motivation to write it was a conversation with theadder about Solaris a few years ago. I told him my interpretation of the story and he told me I was wrong and that the author has explained what it actually means. I started thinking about the concept of the author's intention vs the reader's interpretation, and exactly who is right. I don't think there is an answer to that question, but the question still exists and I want to expose it.

Using one set of symbolic and allusory imagery, I intend to tell two directly contradictory stories simultaneously. One about the killer, one about the police detective. They can't both be true at the same time, and that really screws up the idea of author's intentions.

I have a couple of other ideas, but I've typed enough for now.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:35 am 
supreme adder

Have thanks: 249 time
asfm wrote:
The big thing that I really want to write (and presently am writing) is a three part fantasy series (three part, but not a trilogy) where each book is set on the same landmass, about the same people, but is separated by thousands of years.

Thinking about the way the world has changed technologically, politically and especially geologically is the motivation to write the series. I can't go into even the basic premise of books 2 and 3 without spoiling book 1, but the basic premise of book 1 is an assassination attempt on a religious leader set against a backdrop of a holy civil war tearing an empire apart. It is essentially one third political wrangling, one third adventure and one third warfare. Although it's a very traditional fantasy world, at least for book 1, I think I've created a very unique world.

I actually started on this story in something like 2004. My original story, as it turns out, is extremely similar to American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I didn't know that until around 2007 when I read that book, and pretty much had to scrap mine and start over with a totally new story. I'm really glad that happened, though, because it's grown into something much grander than what it would have been five years ago.

I'm also really interested in writing a psychological thriller. At first it was going to be a game I made with HLA, but after a lot of hours trying to figure out how to make it work, I just realised that it can't work as a point and click adventure game and that's all we can really make. So then I decided it would be best to make it a graphic novel. Whether or not that will happen I don't know, but if it doesn't, it'll definitely get written as a straight novel.

The story concerns the psychological toll taken on both a serial killer and the man hunting him. The story is inspired by Silent Hill games, but the main motivation to write it was a conversation with theadder about Solaris a few years ago. I told him my interpretation of the story and he told me I was wrong and that the author has explained what it actually means. I started thinking about the concept of the author's intention vs the reader's interpretation, and exactly who is right. I don't think there is an answer to that question, but the question still exists and I want to expose it.

Using one set of symbolic and allusory imagery, I intend to tell two directly contradictory stories simultaneously. One about the killer, one about the police detective. They can't both be true at the same time, and that really screws up the idea of author's intentions.

The person with the longest tail is correct.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:07 am 
big fat controller

Have thanks: 1 time
theadder wrote:
asfm wrote:

THIS QUOTE IS A LONG QUOTE

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:05 am 
supreme adder

Have thanks: 249 time
asfm wrote:
theadder wrote:
asfm wrote:

THIS QUOTE IS A LONG QUOTE

I accept your apology.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:19 am 
jaghut tyrant

Have thanks: 14 time
I don't even know what's going on anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:13 am 
simplest of beards

Have thanks: 7 time
I want to write a story about futuristic robotic horse racing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:15 am 
hell knight

Have thanks: 133 time
I want to write a satire of the problems with the American educational system in the style of Animal Farm. It would be set in the Middle Ages, centered around the children of a village being urged by their parents to pursue an education at the prestigious Knight Academy. A child would fight tooth and nail to get there, alienating friends, sacrificing a social life, working himself to exhaustion, only to find that violence makes him sick when he gets there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:05 pm 
The Department of Penis Thread Corrections

Have thanks: 207 time
asfm's idea reminds me of the anime RIN: Daughters of Mnemosyne (good show, by the way), but on a larger scale.

I've never really wanted to write a book, just mainly games, a movie, and a tv show. I've had three ideas for a game in my head that can be converted to films/books pretty easily.

Page 1 of 5 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next