It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:45 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 4 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jimquisition
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:34 pm 
hell knight

Have thanks: 133 time
gilgamesh wrote:
Has anyone seen this video http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... lure-State . What are your thoughts on cutscenes being used in games in general? There is a lengthy thread on the escapist forum about them.

In my opinion, interactivity offers a stronger emotional connection to the game. You can't squeeze out a cut scene and shove in an interactive scene its place however; you have to do it in such a way that the player isn't likely to miss things that are important and so that they are compelled to keep moving at a reasonable pace. I would prefer a good, well done cut scene to a badly done interactive sequence, and the former is probably easier to do well.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:03 pm 
VIP Member

Have thanks: 169 time
laifuthegreat wrote:
gilgamesh wrote:
Has anyone seen this video http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... lure-State . What are your thoughts on cutscenes being used in games in general? There is a lengthy thread on the escapist forum about them.

In my opinion, interactivity offers a stronger emotional connection to the game. You can't squeeze out a cut scene and shove in an interactive scene its place however; you have to do it in such a way that the player isn't likely to miss things that are important and so that they are compelled to keep moving at a reasonable pace. I would prefer a good, well done cut scene to a badly done interactive sequence, and the former is probably easier to do well.

I think that cutscenes definitely have their place, but I do think that more developers should try harder to tell their stories differently. Cutscenes act as a nice reward in many games. In Devil May Cry 3 and Ninja Gaiden they are lovely to watch after you've just beaten a boss after dying about 15 times beforehand. However, if a game is serious about telling a great story, they should look for other ways to do it besides using cutscenes. The point and click genre may have some of the best stories in gaming but they are stories that could just as easily be told in a film or book. I have far greater appreciation for a game that tells its story in a way unique to the medium. Most devs choose cutscenes because it is the easy way, but that's just laziness. It's also the reason why a lot of games are in third person when they should be in first person. Silent Hill 2 has one of the finest stories in the medium, and it tells most of it through the games visuals. Not enough games do stuff like that.

I also hate how what happens in a cutscene usually contradicts what you do in game. You could wipe out a huge platoon of bad guys, but then a cutscene plays and some hey bad guy magically sneaks up behind you and knocks you out or something. Granted this also happened in Half Life, which didn't have any cutscenes, so it's not entirely cutscenes that are to blame for that, but all too often what the characters are pictured doing in a cutscene is at odds with the gameplay. Solid Snake may be an incredible agent in the cutscenes, but the exact opposite can be often true for the what happens ingame.
We get divroced from the narrative all too often in games, and cutscenes are usually to blame for this.

What the Half Life games do isn't exactly ideal either though. Having you stand around while characters dump exposition upon you isn't really much better. They may not be cutscenes but you are still lovked in a room and forced to listen to them. And these moments can't be skipped like cutscenes can. LND was probably right about Dark Souls having some of the best storytelling in the medium. It's built into the fabric of gameplay extremely well. It's too bad Im too shit at the game to experience it properly.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:32 pm 
Hitler Shitlord Babitz

Have thanks: 124 time
The biggest cardinal sin a game cutscene can make is including "cutscene stupidity", i.e. when my character does something completely retarded so the plot may advance in a specific manner. That's especially rage inducing in games where I'm supposed to be in control. Like the encounter with the Tai-Young Medical CEO in Hengsha in DX: HR. Or a certain kidnapping scene in Planescape: Torment. The original Deus Ex did cutscenes perfect: two cutscenes overall and both rendered by the game's engine. One at the beginning and one at the end of the game. In between - full character control.
I'd also mention Anachronox as a game which did cutscenes really well. No CGI bullshit. They were rendered by the game's engine which is why they weren't jarring. Also, they were funny and very, very well written.

Ceterum censeo Kotaku delendam esse.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:42 pm 
VIP Member

Babitz wrote:
The biggest cardinal sin a game cutscene can make is including "cutscene stupidity", i.e. when my character does something completely retarded so the plot may advance in a specific manner. That's especially rage inducing in games where I'm supposed to be in control. Like the encounter with the Tai-Young Medical CEO in Hengsha in DX: HR. Or a certain kidnapping scene in Planescape: Torment. The original Deus Ex did cutscenes perfect: two cutscenes overall and both rendered by the game's engine. One at the beginning and one at the end of the game. In between - full character control.
I'd also mention Anachronox as a game which did cutscenes really well. No CGI bullshit. They were rendered by the game's engine which is why they weren't jarring. Also, they were funny and very, very well written.

Yeah, I also hate how the character in some games will always only equip the same gun in a cutscene, regardless of whatever I may have equipped during the game. MGS Peacewalker really pissed me off with this. I remember playing Anachronox a long time ago. It was a very good game with some great characters. It suffered a bug at one point which prevented me from continuing on with the game, so I never finished it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:13 pm 
Hitler Shitlord Babitz

Have thanks: 124 time
Was it maybe the Lucko Coldwold bug?

Ceterum censeo Kotaku delendam esse.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:20 pm 
VIP Member

Babitz wrote:
Was it maybe the Lucko Coldwold bug?

I have no idea. It happened to me sometime during the Haephestus level.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:51 pm 
The Department of Penis Thread Corrections

Have thanks: 207 time
Huh. Jim Sterling released a video today that didn't fall into the categories of "No Shit Sherlock" or "Missing the Point". I believe the fact that it is anomaly is in and of itself worth a look.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:05 am 
revenant

Have thanks: 81 time
That and the cutscene videos were pretty damn good, although the smug shtick got old after 10 seconds and was a bit pointless

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:33 am 
VIP Member

Campion wrote:
That and the cutscene videos were pretty damn good, although the smug shtick got old after 10 seconds and was a bit pointless

I don't think the cutscenes video is good at all. He doesn't put up any valid argument in it. Being able to see a boss enemy before you fight them in a cutscene is hardly much justification for it. He was right when he said they offer a nice reward but otherwise I felt that he didn't say enough to justify them. I think his best video has to be the one about linearity.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:29 pm 
VIP Member

One of his more entertaining videos

Page 2 of 4 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next