It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:32 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 4 of 6 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Joseph Anderson
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:34 pm 
The Department of Penis Thread Corrections

Have thanks: 207 time
I feel sorry for his wife.

"Hey Joseph, want to try **** tonight?"
"Sorry dear, I'm busy writing up my analysis of Naughty Dog's game design trends over the course of their career."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:45 pm 
Audrey Horne

Have thanks: 492 time
lol yeah that's what women are like

Do I want a house, or do I want a boat?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:47 pm 
VIP Member

Have thanks: 169 time
I just finished watching the video. I enjoyed it, and he gave a lot of interesting insight, especially regarding the stories in each. Overall I felt he was too positive about some of the games, and the fact that he loved Uncharted 3 was at odds with most of what he said about it. He overpraised the writing in TLoU too. It has good writing, but not *that* good. I enjoyed Matthew's more cynical and brief synopsis of that game more.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:27 pm 
hell knight

Have thanks: 245 time
[quote="Begogian"]lol yeah that's what women are like

Hey Bego, want to try **** tonight?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:08 pm 
The Department of Penis Thread Corrections

Have thanks: 207 time
Begogian wrote:
lol yeah that's what women are like

You don't say

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:57 pm 
revenant

Have thanks: 81 time

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:15 am 
jaghut tyrant

Have thanks: 14 time
[quote="Begogian"]This poor guy really works for his reviews. 100+ hours, jesus christ

excellent review

I wonder if fatman would've switched to these longer, super-detailed reviews eventually and how he would've reacted to the trend of (overly) long reviews overall. The only guy worthwhile these days (ianal imho iirc) who tends to focus on the 10-20 minute format is SuperBunnyHop, the rest does 30+

Wow. That video was disgustingly bad. I don't ever think I've seen such a pathetically cherry-picked review in my life.
Firstly, his entire argument about damage is awful. There is some merit to the observation that a clean-cut damage threshold is not good, but that it was as bad as he very selectively claimed is ridiculous.
He completely ignored damage boosters such as periapts and elemental damage. Elemental damage is an enormous factor in Bitterblack Isle. Also his argument about Bitterblack Isle's pacing wasn't even logical.
Like, it's literally an argument with invalid form.
-come into the expansion dungeon with equipment from vanilla and doing little damage to the hardest enemies in the game
-it's taking too long even though the game literally recommends you flee/refrain from fighting them for now
-beating the final boss gives you the best equipment in the game to go back and fight them more easily
-this is somehow broken

I have no idea how he concluded that such a metagame is broken. The condemned gorecyclops, elder ogres, and Death are the hardest enemy encounters in the game. The first form of the final BBI boss gives you weapons that makes fighting them more tolerable than fighting them with the weapons you come to Bitterblack Isle with. That such a process is 'broken' isn't a valid argument, because the logical form of Capcom's metagame is valid.

Also it's pretty obvious that he has either gotten into a tiff with the game's fans, or observed other people doing so. Or else he wouldn't have brought up people saying 'git gud'.
But it's pretty obvious that applies to him, since he literally presupposes grinding throughout the entire video, which is insane. Because his entire argument is based singularly on the calculation of a damage threshold without taking elemental damage into account, his argument is fucked. For instance, with relatively low tier melee equipment and attack stats, I could attack a dragon early game and be repelled by the fact that I do little damage. However if my pawn/s have good ice magic, I could play bait for the dragon while they tear it to shreds because dragons are weak to ice. Almost EVERY MAJOR ENEMY in the game has a significant elemental deficiency to take advantage of, and it's important to have a party with varied elemental skills to work this out.

His entire damage threshold argument falls into a measly, cherry-picked crock of **** when you bring pawns and elemental damage into the equation. Pawns are devastating. Again, 'git gud' is apparently applicable if this idiot thinks you need to grind throughout the entire game. His approach to playing it is completely flawed. You never need to grind. You can move on, change strategy, or work out what you're doing wrong. But you never have to grind in Dragon's Dogma.

This leads directly into his criticism of the healing system too. It's such a disingenuous load of ********. Firstly, if you want to be able to move at average speed, go adventuring for at least a day or two to important locations, and also have room for loot, you cannot go balls-deep with healing items. It won't work. The way pawns and equipment relate to healing is even more important though. Again, this cherry-picking retard avoids to mention the fact that pawns and healing equipment are the two most efficient ways to heal. Healing items are made for last-ditch desperation when you have nothing left or you're about to die, and they're also in such a configuration that you can manage them for pawns to (hence the 'clunky', god what a lazy pathetic word, inventory). Healing items that are half-decent when you actually have a lot of health are expensive, heavy, and finite when you're actually in combat.

His point about hard-mode is garbage too. Hard mode was implemented in an update for experienced players. It was to give them extra challenge and take end-game vanilla content into account, and in that context it succeeded.

The thing is, his points still have merit to them. But god it just disgusts me to see the game so blatantly misrepresented just for the sake of conforming to a single bias. Like he even pretends to take criticisms of his arguments into account halfway through, but it falls through by making the same presuppositions about the game and grinding. The 'skill' in Dragon's Dogma isn't moving from one encounter to the next. It is seamlessly killing monsters with minimal skill spam, minimal repetition, maximal fluency, not getting knocked down, not dying and having to use wakestones, not having to spam healing items (and waste them). All of the dirty practices he went over, while available to the player and while that isn't good, are not the practices of a skilled player, simply put. When he says the game is not about skill but about grinding and gear, he's half true. You should aim to have the best gear. However you can also tailor the difficulty of encounters to become a lot harder and funner by using equipment that isn't the best, or by fighting enemies that are the hardest under all of the conditions I just listed. It's like, you COULD play Capcom/Platinum Games's games on automatic difficulty. It's there. But you get an awful-looking experience that requires no skill. The exact same applies to Dragon's Dogma.

There objectively is skill involved in many skills as well. Some skills are the opposite, in that they're so overpowered they're trivializing. But others require serious timing or some experience to use them correctly, and do so stylishly.

Oh his criticism about the story was half nitpicks of cutscenes, and another half ignoring the lore of the game (the dragon's bargain is a normative moral choice between giving away your loved one or fighting the dragon, what more do you need? it's established and explored 2-3 other times in the game world, it's just a fact of the matter and the consequence of refusing the bargain all together is the entire premise of Dark Arisen). It's really not trying hard to be profound. There are more monsters once the dragon dies because the everfall just opened up and released them. He doesn't even talk about the everfall or the ur dragon, just dismisses it as a 'dungeon' when it's a proto Bitterblack Isle.

Awful video. Guy had his blinders on while making it.

MrBlista-SistaFista has been thanked by:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:49 am 
VIP Member

What do you think of this guy's considerably shorter video on the game

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:50 am 
jaghut tyrant

Have thanks: 14 time
[quote="Gilgamesh"]What do you think of this guy's considerably shorter video on the game

Terrible.
He spoke so much about the vanilla game, I assumed this video was pre Dark-Arisen.

There actually is one almost-Colossi-sized enemy in the game, and there's a quest to kill two in the main world once you trigger it in the expansion. This enemy has spiked armor that hurts the player while climbing up, and you have to cut the harness on its helmet for the helmet to fall off and reveal its weak point. His omission of this fact, among others, screams laziness/attempting to create a negative story about the game, rather than a tenable argument.

The video is idiotic. Like the sequencing is terrible. He tries to destroy the climbing system as effectively pointless, only to immediately bring up the main reason why you climb enemies: locational damage.
Yet he tries to pretend these are just two separate things, and one is bad, but the other is good. That's ridiculous, you climb enemies for the purpose of taking advantage of the locational damage.
You can't consistently activate a cyclops arm with a melee weapon without climbing on it. You can't goad it into taking its helmet off to reveal its eye without climbing on it.

Furthermore he leaves out a lot of the nuance of the system. You essentially have types of large enemies you can climb on. Enemies on all-four, flying enemies on all-four, and giant humanoids of varying stature. The experience of climbing each type is very different. Enemies on all-four will run around the most and are able to shake the player off most easily, while flying enemies use their flight to keep distance from the player which can either make them very risky to climb onto or force you to climb onto them to bring them down, and giant humanoids are the most vulnerable to climbing and have different defense mechanisms like using their hands to grab the player off or balling up to protect their head.

Yellow classes climb faster and have dagger-specific climbing skills, the Assassin vocation gets a very potent stabbing attack while climbing with swords, there's a pair of gloves to speed climbing up and an augment to make the player harder to shake off. So ideally you're going to be climbing as a Strider or an Assassin, getting to the weak points of the enemy without being shaken or dropped off, and going wild with your skills until your stamina/replenishments wear out. This is especially pertinent to enemies like the Ur-Dragon or the top-tier lesser dragons that have a lot of health.

I really think so many of these critics that claim Dragon's Dogma only has 'potential' only see what they want to see.

Ironically, the biggest issue with climbing wasn't even brought up, and that's the camera. Climbing through or around limbs of smaller enemies and up the chests of dragons fucks with the camera. You can get used to it, but every single time it inverts the movement of the character, and it's a frustrating, genuine issue. Yet I don't see that brought up.

In the same way I don't see the biggest issue with the skills brought up: balance. Bow and dagger skills are insane. They are blatantly overpowered. If you want to make the most of the Fighter vocation, you actually need the skill to time perfect blocks, and manage your stamina without being able to roll to safety. Oh, another actual issue people don't bring up: rolling doesn't effect stamina. You can just roll infinitely, get to a safe spot, and let your stamina regenerate. Rolling is exclusive to yellow vocations using daggers and bows, which already have overpowered skills (like brain splitter and fivefold flurry with explosive arrows).

Instead, he says some ******** like "Combat shouldn't just be judged on the player's moveset. It's all well and good having loads of cool skills, but if the enemy designs don't necessitate or at least accommodate this for a large part, then it's not much use." Like what the **** does that even mean? I'd like to see someone play through the game without actually using their skills on any enemies. It would be the most tedious playthrough on the planet. He didn't even think about this one, because if he actually considered what he was implying when he said 'the enemy designs don't necessitate or at least accommodate this [the skills] for a large part', he would have actually had to consider fighting all the enemies without using skills. Which for anyone that has actually played Dragon's Dogma, is possibly one of the most demented, thoughtless things you could say about the game. Almost every single skill corresponds with the enemies in some meaningful way. The climbing attacks are a perfect example of this, as are all charged attacks, all of the enormous attacks that draw in heaps of mobs, etc.

I have no idea why he ended the video on such a meaningless, thoughtless statement, when I could literally go through every single enemy and what skills from each vocation would either be necessitated by it or be ineffective against it. It's honestly one of the strangest things I've ever heard said about the game. This kind of arbitrary failure of criticism usually happens when someone forgets to properly prune their script, or doesn't know how to critically analyze an argument. So, it happens a lot in video game reviews.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:28 am 
VIP Member

Such a thorough rebuttal, for such a short video. I suppose I should have known to expect nothing less from you. I can't say how much I'd agree with you on all this, as I haven't played the game, but I do find Turbo Button's scripts, to be very concise. I should probably give that game a go, out of sheer curiosity.

Page 4 of 6 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next