It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:10 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 5 of 6 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Joseph Anderson
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:39 pm 
Audrey Horne

Have thanks: 492 time
Wow, that's a long rebuttal. I don't know the first thing about the game, so I can't say who's "right". Imo you're reaching a bit, too, though. You don't have to be in a "tiff" with anyone in order to foresee people on the internet telling you to "git gud". Furthermore, it seems like *you're* the one in a "tiff" with someone, judging by how many times you refer to other reviewers or "people" in general in your rebuttal. It sounds like you're frustrated with how other people play/see/judge the game.

Imo it's also sort of weird how you're criticizing him for not making *your* arguments. Maybe he didn't mind the camera when climbing. Maybe he didn't consider it being an important enough issue. Different people get annoyed by different things. Maybe he didn't feel like using worse gear because why the **** would he?!

Also, maybe he just didn't find the skills as useful as you did. Based on the footage in his Soulsborne videos, he seems to be the type of guy who tries to maximize the "dodge + light attack" thing (he also seems to be quite good at that), so maybe he *did* manage to beat most of the enemies without using skills, leading him to the conclusion that they're not that useful. He might be wrong, though, what do I know. I just noticed his love of RB in his Soulsborne videos, iirc.

Also, lolz at the "deliberately using worse gear to make the game more about skill" argument. Imo you can do whatever you want to make a game more enjoyable, knock yourself out (I for one played DX:HR without most of the stealth skills and enjoyed it a lot more because of that, so I get it, I do it myself), you can also choose to present that type of playstyle in a review and make a more positive review. BUT I don't get how you would seriously get angry/disgusted at someone who chooses to use the things the game deliberately gives to the player?! I mean, Jesus Christ! You might call it "tailoring your experience" if you're doing it and "cherry-picking" when other people do the same, but if he's a "cherry-picking retard", then you're a cherry-picking autist, imho. I have no idea who's closer to the truth, but you're not doing anything differently. Most of your points revolve around him not mentioning specific things you liked or didn't like about the game. Boohoo, he didn't pick your cherries. The word "grind" is also strongly associated with this game, from what I can tell. I'm sure you're the only one on the internet who really understood the game, though. Imo he [meaning: Joseph Anderson, haven't seen that other video] presented mostly good arguments, from what I can tell, it seems like he just didn't present *your* arguments.

I still want to play Dragon's Dogma based on his review. I actually consider it relatively positive. It intrigued me, that's for sure.

edit: Oh ****, I thought that those two comments of yours were actually one comment. I scrolled too aggressively. Well, ****. It's too late now, I don't care enough to change the comment. It's aimed at both comments, I guess, I don't mean to "defend" any of those reviewers specifically, anyway, I just wanted to point out that your arguments are far from perfect, too. The cherrypicking part in particular just bugged me, coming from a guy who deliberately uses worse gear, telling people it's the "real" way to play the game or something. You're literally making the argument that a game (that's allegedly) about grinding and gear is not about gear if you don't use it. Maybe I missed something, but wow.

Do I want a house, or do I want a boat?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:01 pm 
baron of hell

Have thanks: 266 time
I scrolled too aggressively rofl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:45 am 
jaghut tyrant

Have thanks: 14 time
Yes, I am an autistic hypocrite that forgot I wasn't on youtube or /v/, you are correct.
However after spending probably around 1000 hours with the game; planning how to play it, planning how to mod it, playing it, modding it; I'm pretty easily triggered upon seeing videos like those.
Firstly, and I say this in the critique I'm now writing so I can get on my little soap box and present my arguments, a massive exploit is not a sound basis for criticizing the intended balance of a game.
The Soulsborne games, among dozens of others if not most video games, could be absolutely obliterated if people thought that an exploitative strategy was a sound basis for criticizing those games, rather than discussing the balance that their respective developers intended. Now the efficacy of this balance, that is how successful a developer is in actually achieving it, is fair game. But I'll tell you now, the balance of Dragon's Dogma has far bigger issues to be discussed than exploiting the fast travel in Gransys. You can show bigger, more pertinent issues with the balance, which I do in my critique, which requires absolutely no exploitation with arguably more trivializing results for the game.

To go on discussing an entire game presupposing an exploitative strategy and a faulty equation of damage was extremely stupid to me.
Now don't get me wrong with this next example. It is very different from the strategy presented in the video I first replied to, and it actually shares more in common with my argument criticizing the balance of Dragon's Dogma ironically, however the point is to demonstrate that deliberately exploiting a game's mechanics doesn't meaningfully engage with the game's actual balance.

For instance, I could judge Demon's Souls based on a build that uses the Talisman of the Beast to utilize both Cursed Weapon and Second Chance (AKA Phoenix Down), with a meat cleaver with high STR, DEX, and FAI to take advantage of the two S and one A ratings respectively applied on that weapon, and use armor to maximize a balance between fast-rolling and defence, wearing magic and fire armors where appropriate. With enough proper planning you could easily make a devastating character with this build below level 100, and have some spell slots left over. This is effectively a jack of all trades build that takes the best of everything without straying too far to any one focus on stats. It could be argued From Software indirectly intended for such a build, however such a build would be exploiting the game's flexibility to completely trivialize its difficulty in such a manner that doesn't correspond with the balance and difficulty that most people know. If I were to base my criticism of the game on this build, claiming it was ridiculously easy because I would **** everything with my cursed, minmaxed cleaver, and just come back to life when I was actually killed, then I would probably be rightfully called out on that. Why would From Software orchestrate an intro cinematic that showed a knight painstakingly fighting for his life, if the gameplay wasn't intended to somehow correspond with that struggle. To me, basing one's criticisms of a whole game based on deliberate exploitation of a game's mechanics for the sake of trivializing it doesn't seem to correspond with the sentiments of the developers or other players that do conform to the intended balance. That's not to say it isn't worth pointing out such exploits, but that it's not discussing the actual balance of the game, so much as it is pointing out the developer's inability to totally enforce that balance.

Oh and I stand by that it's retarded to separate climbing from locational damage and that it's silly to say that you like one and not the other when they're intrinsically linked, and that the claim that enemies don't necessitate the use of skills is flat-out retarded and anyone that has actually played the game would know that's a pretty thoughtless assertion.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:33 am 
VIP Member

Have thanks: 169 time
You should probably do your own analysis videos. Regarding Joseph Anderson's "cherry picking", it could be that he just likes to focus on any flaw at all, that he finds. He has stated several times, that he doesn't mean for some of his videos to turn out as negative as they do. He could probably spend more time talking about the positive stuff at times, but I can only assume he's trying his best to improve at this. I really don't know what it's like to compose such long videos, amongst all the editing, so I don't like to judge him too harshly for that sort of thing. Although Matthewmatosis is certainly better in that regard, he takes much longer to make videos.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:33 am 
baron of hell

Germans gettin rekt up in this *****

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:57 am 
hell knight

Have thanks: 245 time

good video

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:22 am 
former human

Have thanks: 0 time
Quote:
Yes, I am an autistic hypocrite that forgot I wasn't on youtube or /v/, you are correct.
However after spending probably around 1000 hours with the game; planning how to play it, planning how to mod it, playing it, modding it; I'm pretty easily triggered upon seeing videos like those.
Firstly, and I say this in the critique I'm now writing so I can get on my little soap box and present my arguments, a massive exploit is not a sound basis for criticizing the intended balance of a game.
The Soulsborne games, among dozens of others if not most video games, could be absolutely obliterated if people thought that an exploitative strategy was a sound basis for criticizing those games, rather than discussing the balance that their respective developers intended. Now the efficacy of this balance, that is how successful a developer is in actually achieving it, is fair game. But I'll tell you now, the balance of Dragon's Dogma has far bigger issues to be discussed than exploiting the fast travel in Gransys. You can show bigger, more pertinent issues with the balance, which I do in my critique, which requires absolutely no exploitation with arguably more trivializing results for the game.

To go on discussing an entire game presupposing an exploitative strategy and a faulty equation of damage was extremely stupid to me.
Now don't get me wrong with this next example. It is very different from the strategy presented in the video I first replied to, and it actually shares more in common with my argument criticizing the balance of Dragon's Dogma ironically, however the point is to demonstrate that deliberately exploiting a game's mechanics doesn't meaningfully engage with the game's actual balance.

For instance, I could judge Demon's Souls based on a build that uses the Talisman of the Beast to utilize both Cursed Weapon and Second Chance (AKA Phoenix Down), with a meat cleaver with high STR, DEX, and FAI to take advantage of the two S and one A ratings respectively applied on that weapon, and use armor to maximize a balance between fast-rolling and defence, wearing magic and fire armors where appropriate. With enough proper planning you could easily make a devastating character with this build below level 100, and have some spell slots left over. This is effectively a jack of all trades build that takes the best of everything without straying too far to any one focus on stats. It could be argued From Software indirectly intended for such a build, however such a build would be exploiting the game's flexibility to completely trivialize its difficulty in such a manner that doesn't correspond with the balance and difficulty that most people know. If I were to base my criticism of the game on this build, claiming it was ridiculously easy because I would **** everything with my cursed, minmaxed cleaver, and just come back to life when I was actually killed, then I would probably be rightfully called out on that. Why would From Software orchestrate an intro cinematic that showed a knight painstakingly fighting for his life, if the gameplay wasn't intended to somehow correspond with that struggle. To me, basing one's criticisms of a whole game based on deliberate exploitation of a game's mechanics for the sake of trivializing it doesn't seem to correspond with the sentiments of the developers or other players that do conform to the intended balance. That's not to say it isn't worth pointing out such exploits, but that it's not discussing the actual balance of the game, so much as it is pointing out the developer's inability to totally enforce that balance.

Oh and I stand by that it's retarded to separate climbing from locational damage and that it's silly to say that you like one and not the other when they're intrinsically linked, and that the claim that enemies don't necessitate the use of skills is flat-out retarded and anyone that has actually played the game would know that's a pretty thoughtless assertion.

I literally created an account just to laugh at how fucking buttmad you are over a random youtube gaming review video. That is all, good luck with being an idiot.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:40 am 
supreme adder

Have thanks: 249 time
[quote="lyra"]Germans gettin rekt up in this *****

Are they all Germans now?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:55 am 
revenant

Have thanks: 81 time
CreatedanAcct4This wrote:
I literally created an account just to laugh at how fucking buttmad you are over a random youtube gaming review video. That is all, good luck with being an idiot.

Are you that Chris Wager guy?

There's some irony to someone lurking our unpopular forum and creating an account just to reply to a specific four month old post saying that someone else is angry.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:10 pm 
baron of hell

LOL!!!

Sorry but that was the best post in ages XDDD

Page 5 of 6 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next