It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:06 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Laptop for college
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:41 pm 
baron of hell

Have thanks: 266 time
I did all of college on an eeepc. It was p bad but workable and I excused many of its flaws due to the fact that it was really cheap.

Complaints about my year-old 600€ asus

The DVD tray opens up randomly, as if the laptop is excited to see me (rofl optical media in this day and age, I have used it exactly zero times, honorable mention goes to the VGA port!)

The keys have left a permanent mark on the screen due to the pressure it makes on them when the lid is closed. There is no solution to this, its just badly designed.

The touchpad multitouch gestures were terrible, and the feel of the touchpad itself is pretty bad, but also, the gestures stopped working 5 months in out of the blue and I have no idea how to fix it, since asus has a million models/drivers on their website and its impossible to find your laptop on there, in fact, mine is the A550L which ive googled exhaustively, and it doesnt seem to even exist XD

It has windows 8. I know this isnt asus' fault but god damn it its terrible.

Its heavy as hell but that might be my fault for picking it, it has a numpad and an ok graphics card, it just seemed like the best deal at the time. Im no longer in college so im glad I dont have to haul it around.

It has nice speakers, plays games and sort of does the job, thats about the only thing I can say about it thats positive.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:05 pm 
spectre

Have thanks: 34 time
Those are some serious issues, I have fortunately not experienced them on my model. I had the eee PC 1025C specifically, a 300$ model. So I don't know if they're consistent across all their models or if it's hit and miss, but the review that I linked to for the Zenbook is quite positive (and Anandtech is usually a very honest and professional website, I grew up to trust them a lot).

But holy crap I do agree that Asus website is one of the worst websites to browse...

Anyway not an issue for me, as I said I'm ordering the XPS 13 Developer Edition. :D I still would have been confident getting the Zenbook, if it wasn't so overpriced in Europe.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:21 pm 
baron of hell

Have thanks: 266 time
I had the eee1000HA. It mysteriously worked p well for like six years despite its technical limitations, so thats why I picked asus again. I think we had a similar (and v lucky apparently) experience with the eee brand and thats why I wrote all that about this new one I bought.

I like how every time I boot it it says ASUS: INSPIRING INNOVATION - PERSISTENT PERFECTION

Its like its mocking me :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:33 pm 
spectre

Just ordered the XPS 13. I'm so glad that Dell offers to have an international english keyboard instead of Italian, and it brings the price down by 8 euros for some reason...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:01 pm 
hell knight

Have thanks: 133 time
polomi wrote:
Just ordered the XPS 13. I'm so glad that Dell offers to have an international english keyboard instead of Italian, and it brings the price down by 8 euros for some reason...

You're a lunixer, so I have to warn you that unless you bought the developer edition, you're going to have to do some patching before the kernel version with Dell's patches is included in a linux distro by default. I think Ubuntu 15.04 and Fedora 22 have full functionality out of the box (?)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:53 pm 
spectre

laifuthegreat wrote:
polomi wrote:

You're a lunixer, so I have to warn you that unless you bought the developer edition, you're going to have to do some patching before the kernel version with Dell's patches is included in a linux distro by default. I think Ubuntu 15.04 and Fedora 22 have full functionality out of the box (?)

Yup, I indeed got the Developer Edition. There were issues with the non developer edition, but I think they already have been fixed? Also I'm not completely sure but I don't think that the issue was only the drivers included with the kernel (was it about the kernel at all?) but also/rather the bios firmware which now has (or will have) a new version that works with Linux. Well don't take my word, I didn't follow it very closely since I'm getting the developer edition anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:00 pm 
hell knight

The Broadcom wifi drivers didn't ship with it because theh're proprietary. Luckily for me, I don't give a **** about foss.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:17 pm 
spectre

[quote="laifuthegreat"]The Broadcom wifi drivers didn't ship with it because theh're proprietary. Luckily for me, I don't give a **** about foss.

I found this: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/2u0jjd/linux_support_is_terrible_on_the_new_dell_xps_13/cq5lyio

Well I won't need it, but I guess this is where I remember that some issues were caused by the BIOS from.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:10 pm 
spectre

Got my Dell XPS 13 today. Wiped it and installed Lubuntu 15.04.

Everything works great after installing and setting a few things up, except resuming from suspend (it worked on Ubuntu, but not on Lubuntu for some reason). I don't use suspend a lot so I probably won't spend a lot of time troubleshooting.

Pretty happy about it!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:34 pm 
hell knight

polomi wrote:
Got my Dell XPS 13 today. Wiped it and installed Lubuntu 15.04.

Everything works great after installing and setting a few things up, except resuming from suspend (it worked on Ubuntu, but not on Lubuntu for some reason). I don't use suspend a lot so I probably won't spend a lot of time troubleshooting.

Pretty happy about it!

Lubuntu! Why take a perfectly decent looking desktop operating systems and put LXDE over it? It has 8 gb of RAM and an 5000 series iGPU, you're not exactly at a want for resources. LXDE was designed to run on devices with less than 256 mb of RAM.

The suspend thing was probably fixed with a kernel patch in the original developer edition.

Page 2 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next