It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:15 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Laptop for college
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:41 am 
spectre

Have thanks: 32 time
laifuthegreat wrote:
polomi wrote:
Got my Dell XPS 13 today. Wiped it and installed Lubuntu 15.04.

Everything works great after installing and setting a few things up, except resuming from suspend (it worked on Ubuntu, but not on Lubuntu for some reason). I don't use suspend a lot so I probably won't spend a lot of time troubleshooting.

Pretty happy about it!

Lubuntu! Why take a perfectly decent looking desktop operating systems and put LXDE over it? It has 8 gb of RAM and an 5000 series iGPU, you're not exactly at a want for resources. LXDE was designed to run on devices with less than 256 mb of RAM.

The suspend thing was probably fixed with a kernel patch in the original developer edition.

I use Lubuntu on my gaming PC as well, GTX 770, 8GB or RAM. The reasons for which I like Lubuntu are not related to what hardware it is designed to run on.

A few years ago I used to not use a desktop environment at all, only a window manager (Fluxbox back then, Openbox later). Nowadays I like LXDE (which comes with Openbox by default on Lubuntu! home sweet home) so I use it as a full desktop environment. I'm OK with Plasma (since v5), Mate and XFCE (my wife's favorite DE, looks pretty good), but not as much as LXDE. On the other hand, I do not like Unity, Gnome, Cinnamon, ...

The main reasons for which I like LXDE/LXQt are how it looks and feels. I don't really care that it has been designed for low end PCs, but since it's the case I do get the benefit of it being very snappy. I don't even have an SSD on my gaming PC but it almost feels like I do (unless the programs that I run are very heavy, then obviously I feel the difference).

I'm not exactly sure what your point is. LXDE is designed to run on low end hardware, but it doesn't lack any important functionality of other heavier desktop environments, so it's not like there are any drawbacks to also run it on higher end hardware.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:13 pm 
bran the barn owl

Have thanks: 235 time
lyra wrote:
I have an asus and I dont recommend it.

I had one once and same.

laifuthegreat wrote:
You don't know which of the 3 broke it. You all stepped on it.

Jesus, you guys.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:14 pm 
bran the barn owl

Have thanks: 235 time
also on subject of laptops I got the new macbook and 2 months in I'm very happy with it, with the slight exception of the battery life, which could be better imho.

Page 3 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3