It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:17 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 18 of 20 [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Manga
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:34 pm 
VIP Member

Have thanks: 169 time
jozoz wrote:
I'd argue that a connection with the story is more important because it really adds to the atmosphere, especially because of how apt the soundtrack is.

I agree with this. The Samurai X OVA got some complaints for the music being inferior to the Rurouni Kenshin series. While it is inferior it also befits the OVA far more than the themes from the show would have and that's what's most important.

jozoz wrote:
And yes it's not even a contest in terms of characters. The main characters in Death Note are very good sure, but if you look past those then it gets kind of bland. Near and Mellow for example were not interesting at all compared to say Inspector Lunge and Wolfgang Grimmer. This is where I found the biggest contrast in character quality. I'd even argue that Tenma isn't even in the top 3 of the best written characters in Monster, but I can't help but love his character anyway. The character quality is just so high.

I'd say Tenma is in the top 4, but it is very hard to determine who is the best. That's the thing with Urasawa's works. He creates such great ensembles that there's rarely one character that stands out above the rest. I think the characters in 20th Century Boys are better than those in Monster, which would make them my favourite characters in all of manga and anime. Maybe not the best though. LoGH has a huge roster of great characters too, but Kenji and his rag tag crew from 20CB managed to really resonate with me in a way that very few characters from any other story I've experienced have.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:38 pm 
VIP Member

Skimming wrote:
If the story and characters are excellent, than the animation doesn't really mean much to me either.There are a lot animation companies that do a lot of creative things with the medium though, so props should definitely be given to movies like Red Line, or a lot of the stuff from studio Ghibli. ( Red line has a really cookie cutter story though..)

That is true. Animation can be used as a means of storytelling, in which case it should be regarded higher. Redline managed to show all sorts of awesomeness and creativity with its visuals. Tatami Galaxy is a show that uses its visuals to great effect too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:43 pm 
cacodemon

Have thanks: 11 time
Gilgamesh wrote:
Skimming wrote:
If the story and characters are excellent, than the animation doesn't really mean much to me either.There are a lot animation companies that do a lot of creative things with the medium though, so props should definitely be given to movies like Red Line, or a lot of the stuff from studio Ghibli. ( Red line has a really cookie cutter story though..)

That is true. Animation can be used as a means of storytelling, in which case it should be regarded higher. Redline managed to show all sorts of awesomeness and creativity with its visuals. Tatami Galaxy is a show that uses its visuals to great effect too.

I actually downloaded the first few episodes after seeing it on one of our friend rorico's videos. I'll probably watch it after finishing Standalone complex.

Kill La Kill had a lot of great visuals as well. Are any of you familiar with the series?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:44 pm 
VIP Member

I know of Kill La Kill but haven't seen it.

Skimming wrote:

Also, I found his first ever video, because why not:

Are you sure that's his very first video? The comments aren't old and it's dated February. It might just be the first of his rant videos.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:52 pm 
cacodemon

Its supposed to be one of a number of videos he deleted from his main channel and re uploaded on another channel later. He actually linked to it stating it was his actual first video in the comment section of another video I saw yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThatAnimeSnobDeleted/videos?sort=da&flow=grid&view=0

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:54 pm 
cacodemon

Gilgamesh wrote:
I know of Kill La Kill but haven't seen it.

This...is all you need to know:

Seriously though its a really fun show.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:08 pm 
cacodemon

Has anyone here read Detroit Metal City? I noticed Brytryne's avatar is from the anime.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:08 pm 
VIP Member

The relationship between father and son in LW&C is one of the most unique and well written relationships I've seen anywhere. This page probably best represents it so far http://www.mangareader.net/lone-wolf-and-cub/17/152

That kind of badass response from Ogami really distinguishes him from so many other overprotective parents you see so often in fiction. The characterisation of both is excellent throughout.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:10 pm 
supreme adder

Have thanks: 249 time
Gilgamesh wrote:
The relationship between father and son in LW&C is one of the most unique and well written relationships I've seen anywhere. This page probably best represents it so far http://www.mangareader.net/lone-wolf-and-cub/17/152

That kind of badass response from Ogami really distinguishes him from so many other overprotective parents you see so often in fiction. The characterisation of both is excellent throughout.

I did laugh at this.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:20 pm 
VIP Member

I'm expecting sexbad to thank your comment any time soon now.

Page 18 of 20 [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next