It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:57 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 20 [ 199 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Manga
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:37 am 
VIP Member

Have thanks: 169 time
I figured it about time a thread gets devoted to manga, so here it is. I don't think anyone besides me and OPG(who isn't even here anymore) reads them but I still think this thread is relevant.

I've just finished reading what currently exists of Vinland Saga and have to say it is totally magnificent. The Golden Age arc of Berserk may be the greatest story ever told but that is just one part of the manga and it does slowly goes downhill after that arc. Overall I think Vinland Saga is superior. It's loosely based around real events but adds enough fiction so that the story is of just the right level of entertainment. Vikings are just fucking awesome. The way they behave really drew me in immediately. Their brash outgoing nature is just captivating to say the least. The story borrows some elements from Berserk, including the flashback early on but they all feature great moments and don't ever feel tacked on or 'ripped off'. I love how not one character in the story is ever truly good or truly evil. There is a huge grey area involving all characters which I really appreciate. The main character starts off being a hot headed angsty revenge driven git who was overshadowed by other stronger characters at the time, including one who was depicted as the main antagonist at the time. He arguably develops into the more righteous of the two but then the protagonist develops further in a rather slower paced but still very gripping succession of chapters. He ends up becoming a pacifist and in a believable way compared to a lot of other anime/manga characters.

The art is magnificent too. It gradually gets better as the story progresses and not at a slow pace either. In some of the later chapters there is fantastic detail on the characters and a big growth to how things started off.

I would strongly recommend this to anyone who's interested in manga, or great stories in general for that matter. It's easily one of the best stories I've ever experienced.

I'm just starting a horror manga called Uzimaki now. I heard several good things about it.

Last edited by Gilgamesh on Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Manga
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:46 am 
hell knight

Have thanks: 244 time
I have some mangas I want to read but no way of acquiring them.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:48 am 
VIP Member

jozoz wrote:
I have some mangas I want to read but no way of acquiring them.

Read them online. That's what I do. Berserk, Vagabond and Vinland Saga can all be read here

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:50 am 
hell knight

I'll definitely have to get used to this. Reading books and mange off of a screen is difficult for me. I enjoy having an actual book a lot more. It's also easier on the eyes.

I don't really have an alternative though, so thank you for the link.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:00 am 
VIP Member

jozoz wrote:
I'll definitely have to get used to this. Reading books and mange off of a screen is difficult for me. I enjoy having an actual book a lot more. It's also easier on the eyes.

I don't really have an alternative though, so thank you for the link.

I see what you mean. I was reluctant to read them that way first too, but you do quickly get used to it. It's especially handy if you can read them on a phone or tablet. That way you don't need to have light on at night like you do with physical written copies.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:18 am 
VIP Member

Also, if you haven't seen the Berserk anime yet, definitely watch it. It acts as a glorified trailer to the manga but is still a very good anime in its own right.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:32 pm 
hell knight

gilgamesh wrote:
Also, if you haven't seen the Berserk anime yet, definitely watch it. It acts as a glorified trailer to the manga but is still a very good anime in its own right.

Yes that one is definitely on my to watch list. The manga has been called the best manga of all time several places I've noticed. I should give that a go sometime as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:19 pm 
VIP Member

The Golden Age arc of Berserk is regarded as being the greatest fictional story ever told by a lot of people. That's the arc covered in the anime. The anime doesn't cover it as well and is fairly censored compared to the manga but it is still well worth watching before you read the manga. The soundtrack to the anime is fantastic and kind of makes up for some of its shortcomings.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:03 pm 
baron of hell

Have thanks: 266 time
Uzumaki is excellent. I think you will enjoy it very much. As Ive said before, the battle royale manga and akira are tied for my favourite ever. I read them on my kindle, except akira, which I own.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:49 am 
VIP Member

lyra wrote:
Uzumaki is excellent. I think you will enjoy it very much. As Ive said before, the battle royale manga and akira are tied for my favourite ever. I read them on my kindle, except akira, which I own.

I just read the first chapter and a half of Uzimaki. It's fairly good. The art work is fairly weak compared to the top tier manga I've read recently but I do enjoy the content. It's fairly creepy.

The only manga I own are the first 3 volumes of Berserk. It's far too expensive to buy each volume of long running manga.

Have you read the manga of Oldboy? It's one of my favourite films but I'm only likely to read the manga if there is considerable changes and improvements. The same goes for Battle Royale. I believe there is actually a novel of Battle Royale too. I don't think it's meant to be any good though.

Page 1 of 20 [ 199 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next