It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:40 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Matthewmatosis
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:06 pm 
VIP Member

Have thanks: 169 time
It's about time this guy got his own thread.

I watched his review of Mario 64. I was quite surprised to find that he loved the game. Fatman was able to see the flaws in that game, but Matthew apparently didn't, in spite of how in depth he went with stuff. I know they have different tastes overall, but he gave that game way too much praise. The game doesn't do the jump from 2 D to 3 D well at all.

Post subject: Re: Matthewmatosis
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:15 pm 
revenant

Have thanks: 81 time
Matthew isn't my most favorite youtube person or anything, but I really appreciate just being able to sit down and listen to someone pick apart a game for like an hour on end.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:27 pm 
VIP Member

I'd say he's one of the better Youtubers involving gaming currently around, but he's not the second coming of game reviewers that a lot of people say he is. Some of his videos could definitely do with some culling of content, but there are others that thoroughly satisfy me, like his critique on The Last of Us and Dark Souls 2.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:19 pm 
VIP Member

I find myself rewatching his playthrough of Demon's Souls. It's a very long video, but the time honestly flies by. Say what you want about him as a reviewer, but his ability to actually analyze games is second to none. I'm also reminded from watching that, how the music in Demon's Souls stands as the best in the series

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:29 pm 
VIP Member

After 6 months of waiting, his Dark Souls commentary finally arrives, and what a fucking beast it is

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:43 am 
revenant

I'm four hours in and I find it very bothersome that some of worst parts of the game (Anor londo archers, invisible bridgeways) are just dismissed as "interesting." Regardless, it was a very nice video to watch if you have the time. He's one of the few youtube "gamer" people that I got excited waiting for a video from, outside of ASFM of course.

Also for some reason or another he decides to show a boss battle half way through entirely without commentary and never explains anything about why he did it afterward, so feel free to skip that ****.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:11 pm 
VIP Member

I'm only a little over two hours in. He shows the fight with the Iron Golem and doesn't explain it. I don't know what that was about. I still think the video is good so far, though.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:32 pm 
VIP Member

I'm at the part where he talks about the Crystal Cave, now. He gave it plenty of criticism.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:38 pm 
revenant

A little bit, but he's often pretty reserved when talking about some of the more absurd parts of the game. The Gravelord Nito boss embodies everything he hated about the bosses of Dark Souls 2, but he gave it a pass because a lot of the skeleton minions wouldn't join the battle if you don't "panic" and move from where you land. Moving once you regain control of your character has nothing to do with panicking, it's just the first thing a player will want to do when they can after a cutscene, especially when they know a boss battle is going down.

No person in their right mind should ever try to excuse the Anor londo archers. They're ****: plain and simple.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:22 pm 
VIP Member

I just finished watching it. He has amazing intuition, in the sense that he can pick up on so many tiny details, be they flaws or positive traits, but he does occasionally tend to neglect bigger flaws that a game might have. I do agree with him that the game is more than the sum of its parts, though. It has a lot of flaws, but the bigger picture is what's more important, and it's a very accomplished work overall. I place more importance on that kind of thing, than I do, less ambitious and small scale works, that happen to have less flaws. Perfection is overrated.

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next