It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:19 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 3 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Monitors
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:16 pm 
Audrey Horne

Have thanks: 492 time
I have been unleashed.

The fact that you think you know what electricity in Vienna or Germany costs, is amazing to me. Also, there is a German saying: "Kleinvieh macht auch Mist" (in English: "Many a little makes a mickle."). That's both true when it comes to the bill and also ressources that are needed for creating electricity. With your attitude, my bill for electricity would be significantly higher. I have many devices that work all day, I care about them not using much power, because, frankly, it costs. Even 100€ per year are a lot to me. Those are 100€ I need for the summer vacation.

Also, I naturally didn't post the times manufacters claim they offer, but from people who actually tested it (although I don't know how they do that, tbh). Anyway, I got those numbers from 4-5 reviews and took an average of their numbers, because they differ slightly. I trust 4-5 not-connected reviewers and countless people from different forums (after all, all of us are for the majority of the internet population just some random guys in a forum as well, so those other people from other forums are not less trustworthy than any of us, they do, however, exceed us in numbers) more than I trust you when it comes to this.

The fact that people don't notice the difference when it comes to the times of transition is simply not true. Too many people are complaining about it for this to be true and there is simple and plain scientific proof for it. You don't "believe" it, fine. I will post a study from Stanford university (at least I think it's stanford university) that tries to fight the motion blur in hold-type displays in the spoiler tags, amongst other things. The question is not whether it exists, but how you can prevent it. Hello, 1999!

edit:
Spoiler:
The wiki article actually explains exactly why it comes to schlieren: Da das Auge bei der Verfolgung eines bewegten Bildinhalts (englisch smooth pursuit eye tracking) die „Helligkeit“ über eine Bildperiode integriert, während der Bildinhalt aber fixiert bleibt, kommt es zum Verwischen des Bildes auf der Netzhaut des Betrachters. Dies fällt besonders bei der Darstellung schnell bewegter Szenen auf und wird deshalb auch als Bewegungsunschärfe (auch engl. motion blur) bezeichnet.
It is quite impossible for me to translate, though. I'll try to explain roughly. The eye processes brightness and the rest of the content of the image differently. The latter is fixated on the retina, while the "brightness" is being integrated through an imagerepetend. Thus the image is being blurred on the retina when the image changes quickly, given how hold-type monitors work.

Bei Hold-Type-Displays wie LCD und OLED-Bildschirmen bleibt der Zustand eines Pixels für die Dauer einer Bildperiode bestehen, bis die angelegte Spannung im Zuge des Bildaufbaus eines neuen Bildes geändert wird (Erhaltungsdarstellung).
Motion blur arises from the slow response time and hold-type rendering of liquid crystal displays, together with the motion pursuing function of the human visual system. The main problem is that LCD and OLED-screens are Hold-type-displays, which means that even if they'd process a lot quicker, it would still have these problems, because of the very way those monitors and our eyes work.
Here is a website on this http://scien.stanford.edu/pages/labsite ... legers.htm
I haven't read all of that, because that kind of technical English is hard for me. I informed myself on German sites.

on this note:

IPS monitor exactly in jozoz's price range (new for 170€ on german amazon).
Anyone can see it.
The guy who uploaded the video sent the monitor back and doesn't recommend it for multiplayer shooters. (description)
I realize, though, that it's not that important to many people. It's absolutely insignificant to me, too. I am talking about it in case jozoz cares. I am not sure what kind of nerd he is. I personally couldn't care less about my monitors.
Having said that: That video gives me a slight headache after watching it 3 times.

While I won't come up with a semi-scientific medical answer (with the explanation above not being semi-scientific nonsense), which still would be better than your not half-arsed, but full-arsed claim, I am confident to say that you don't seem to have the slightest idea of how the human brain processes information coming from the eye or how the eye works exactly. On a general note: Posting a scientific medical claim, having little medical knowledge, while also warning someone with greater medical knowledge about trying to make a scientific claim is kind of ironic, imho. So in short and on the contrary, my reply to you is: casein.

Do I want a house, or do I want a boat?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:09 pm 
hell knight

Have thanks: 243 time
I don't know why this thread got so passive aggressive :(

To be quite honest I would never sit down and learn all the technical stuff about monitors. I would just buy stuff that people recommended me. I know that's not the best course of action, but I just don't care enough to go through all that.

I do like what this thread has taught and I take into consideration but imo I will never read up on this stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:30 pm 
Audrey Horne

Have thanks: 492 time
jozoz wrote:
I don't know why this thread got so passive aggressive :(

Well, it all started with the 1999 comment imho. I guess it's kind of passive aggressive, but that doesn't mean I don't like theadder anymore. I am also a bit sensitive when people tell me I know as little as anyone does when it comes to medicine. I've spent months doing nothing but studying, I am quite confident in certain fields and it's immensely bold when someone suggests I don't know as much as I actually do. Anyway, in case you feel bad for creating this thread: I still like him, he is my friend. The thin line between joking and being a stupid has been crossed, though, imho.

jozoz wrote:
To be quite honest I would never sit down and learn all the technical stuff about monitors. I would just buy stuff that people recommended me. I know that's not the best course of action, but I just don't care enough to go through all that.

I do like what this thread has taught and I take into consideration but imo I will never read up on this stuff.

That's good, because then I don't have to talk about monitors anymore. Like I said: I am just like you. I couldn't care less. I was just meaning to offer an alternative to IPS, because it's not the holy grail of monitors imho. I did enjoy the research, though, because it was less about monitors and more about math and biology. That's why I'm not a total buffoon in this discussion, which I usually am when it comes to hardware.

Do I want a house, or do I want a boat?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:46 pm 
baron of hell

Have thanks: 266 time
Well imo despite the passive agressiveness (bego you are an animal of passion :D) I think this is the best hardware thread so far. I also think theadder is always trollish in expressing his opinions and should not be taken seriously, im blaming the yospos.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:53 am 
demon

Have thanks: 2 time
The Dell U2412M uses an e-ips panel and isn't nearly as bad as the monitor in the video. It ghosts a little in games like BTRunner, but I've had no problem with Battlefield (or many of my other games) and the colors are amazing. Also, it has a 16:10 aspect ratio which sane people will rejoice over.

It probably isn't the best option for gaming specifically, but as a general purpose monitor it is fantastic. I'm going to try NFS and report back on that, seeing as how the environments whooshing by caused some light ghosting in runner.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:39 pm 
hell knight

Have thanks: 133 time
I'm sorry to revive this, but my friend got a new laptop with a 1080P IPS display and it's FUCKING BEAUTIFUL. He pulled it out in class and people around him immeditely noticed how strikingly vivid its screen was.

Page 3 of 3 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3