It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:30 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Monitors
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:46 pm 
hell knight

Have thanks: 243 time
Alright so my 22 inch monitor died today after 6½ years of excellent service.

I need you guys to recommend me some good and hopefully cheap new ones. My old monitor has been discontinued so I can't buy it again.

I've been doing some digging around and I might purchase a BenQ GL2450.

Also we don't have a monitor thread so discuss monitors here

Post subject: Re: Monitors
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:47 pm 
supreme adder

Have thanks: 249 time
What's it for?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:48 pm 
supreme adder

I'd like to say that I don't check forum every minute.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:38 pm 
hell knight

Gaming and general use. I'm not looking for anything fancy. The BenQ one is affordable and seems alright. I might get that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:30 pm 
baron of hell

Have thanks: 266 time
Get an IPS monitor, even if its one of the cheaper ones. Whats the budget?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:54 pm 
supreme adder

Yes. See if you can get a nice IPS.

I have a Benq monitor and it's fine, but there is probably better now for equivalent or less money.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:06 pm 
hell knight

lyra wrote:
Get an IPS monitor, even if its one of the cheaper ones. Whats the budget?

Anything above like 135 euros will be too much for me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:25 pm 
Audrey Horne

Have thanks: 492 time
Why are you recommending IPS monitors?
It really depends on your personal use and priorities. IPS offers a better quality of pictures (for a higher price) from any angle you look at the monitor, but IPS needs twice as long for changing a picture than TN. So in quick action scenes in films/games (turning around in a FPS), the IPS is actually not recommendable, because of the forming of schlieren, *especially* when it comes to the cheaper IPS monitors (I just found out that the English just took the German word "Schlieren" and didn't change it one bit. It feels weird using it in English.) The quality of the contrast and colours are for the most part better in an IPS, though, as long as the pictures don't move too fast. Also (I'm not sure if that's relevant to you, but it is relevant to me, because elictricty is not cheap around here imho), IPS usually needs more electricity/power.
So if you generally look at your screen from one angle and need your screen for gaming and (action) films, I'd recommend a TN monitor.
If you're some kind of photographer or artist who works on the PC and needs good contrast and colours, take an IPS.

A cheap IPS is exactly what you don't recommend to a gamer, imo.

If you're wondering about how you can differ between IPS and TN in the store: Just tilt the monitor and see if it blackens a bit. If it does, it's TN, if it doesn't, it's an IPS.

Do I want a house, or do I want a boat?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:06 am 
baron of hell

Have thanks: 266 time
Ill pwn you at quake using my IPS anytime. Im sure that the difference in refreshing in a high speed game is doesnt affect performance in games as much as it hinders the enjoyment of other media in general. The overall positives surely outweigh the negatives. Im recommending IPS because its the better technology overall. The discussion is irrelevant anyway since the budget is 130€.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:33 am 
supreme adder

Bego wrote:
Why are you recommending IPS monitors?
It really depends on your personal use and priorities. IPS offers a better quality of pictures (for a higher price) from any angle you look at the monitor, but IPS needs twice as long for changing a picture than TN. So in quick action scenes in films/games (turning around in a FPS), the IPS is actually not recommendable, because of the forming of schlieren, *especially* when it comes to the cheaper IPS monitors (I just found out that the English just took the German word "Schlieren" and didn't change it one bit. It feels weird using it in English.) The quality of the contrast and colours are for the most part better in an IPS, though, as long as the pictures don't move too fast. Also (I'm not sure if that's relevant to you, but it is relevant to me, because elictricty is not cheap around here imho), IPS usually needs more electricity/power.
So if you generally look at your screen from one angle and need your screen for gaming and (action) films, I'd recommend a TN monitor.
If you're some kind of photographer or artist who works on the PC and needs good contrast and colours, take an IPS.

Everything in bold is incorrect or at best debatable.

It's good to chat with 1999 though. Hi!

Page 1 of 3 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next