It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:42 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Need Help with Non-Volatile Memory Research
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:05 pm 
cacodemon

Have thanks: 1 time
I'm currently composing a paper on non-volatile memory solutions that includes, but isn't limited to, Resistive RAM, Racetrack Memory, Graphene Memory, and Phase-Change Memory. The problem is that I need to create a PowerPoint presentation that explains the concepts of these technologies in layman's terms. First, I need help in explaining Memristor. Here is my current understanding of how this technology works:

Some materials keep a "history" of applied voltage. Specifically, it is the change in voltage (flux) that causes materials to "remember" a previous resistance. This is Memristor in the most simple terms I can describe. The problem with this technology is that it's in violation with non-equilibrium thermodynamics. Energy is transferred by changes in temperature, so in an equilibrium state, temperature is constant; no work can be performed as there is no means by which to create a change in temperature in an environment at which heat is uniform. The more variance in temperature, the less entropy is present and thus, a system with more temperature imbalance is more ordered. As Memristor is an isolated system, it is naturally going to try to achieve equilibrium. It will eventually be at maximum entropy because of this. A system at maximum entropy must be of a uniform heat (an arbitrary statement, possibly) and therefore cannot distribute energy or, in the case of Memristor, information. The "no energy discharge" property of Memristor cannot exist in reality, because to not discharge energy means that no information can be transferred. The memory of Memristor can only be held until the temperature inhomogeneity balances.

Now, assuming the above is accurate, how can I simplify this? If you want information on this technology put differently, read here:

http://www.memristor.org/reference/rese ... memristors

Post subject: Re: Need Help with Non-Volatile Memory Research
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:12 am 
bran the barn owl

Have thanks: 235 time
I know you're a real person, but this looks like one of those weird spam posts to me. Ha!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:24 am 
cacodemon

I understand Memristor a lot better now. If I were to type this again, it wouldn't be in so much jargon.

Also, look up graphene memory and dataSTICKIES. The technology is very cool.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:41 am 
supreme adder

Have thanks: 249 time
The interesting coming technology is apparently the fusion of RAM and the disk drive. That will be very nice.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:47 am 
cacodemon

theadder wrote:
The interesting coming technology is apparently the fusion of RAM and the disk drive. That will be very nice.

Memristor is supposed to be that way. It can even perform its own logic somehow. The problem is that the concept to Memristor doesn't hold up according to a couple of physical laws. HP thinks it's found the solution while others don't. At least for now, the closest thing we have to a memristor is Resistive RAM.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:52 am 
supreme adder

I don't think that can be quite right. There are actual working memristors right now.

I also think memristors aren't meant to be that fusion. The latency is probably still too great. What's the latency for data retrieval?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:56 am 
cacodemon

theadder wrote:
I don't think that can be quite right. There are actual working memristors right now.

I also think memristors aren't meant to be that fusion. The latency is probably still too great. What's the latency for data retrieval?

What memristors do you know of? I only know about HP Labs' model under Stan Williams.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:58 am 
cacodemon

Here's a portion of my research paper (that is by no means done) that explains things:

A memristor falls into the category of a passive circuit as it only receives a charge and a flux. Prototypical memristors consist of two-terminal elements – one for charge and the other for flux - that maintain a relationship between the time integrals of current and voltage once the voltage is terminated. In this case, the resistance of a memristor is not constant, but rather determined by the voltage just prior to when it is cut. The first working prototype was developed by HP Labs under Stanley Williams. A film of titanium dioxide (TiO2) is placed between two platinum contacts. The film is a single-phase material with two distinct regions marked by a chemical inhomogeneity. The “OFF region” has a low oxygen deficiency while the “ON region” is highly oxygen deprived. The removal of oxygen molecules leaves vacancies that may be filled by electrons from the more oxygen-rich “OFF region.” As voltage flows though the device, it is meant to displace electrons from one region to the other [4].

Skepticism over the practical application of such a device comes from concerns over electrochemistry and thermaldynamics. The chemical imbalance of the two regions of the film is expected to eventually achieve balance naturally in all situations. Furthermore, there is a minimum energy requirement needed to process data that wasn’t accounted for in the prototype’s closed system. Memristor features a “no discharge element” that would be violated by this necessity.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:41 am 
supreme adder

I thought I saw some stuff a while ago. I'm unsure now.

My general understanding is that they have built and then presumably tested them. Perhaps that's not true.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:44 am 
supreme adder

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/01 ... stor_2018/

Some vague stuff here. A claim that wafers exist and that that is one.

What I really want to see is some information about latency.

Page 1 of 3 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next