It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:22 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 8 of 9 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: New "Deus Ex: Mankind Divided" I guess/Deus Ex series
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:17 pm 
revenant

Have thanks: 81 time
Not finished just yet, 29 hours in, but I suspect I'm near the end. This game probably has the best design for every aspect out of the franchise so far. Most importantly the level design, which feels like they spent extended periods of time thinking of how each section of a level could be approached, almost rivaling that of the original DX. One of my favorite elements of HR, the conversations, are more frequent and unpredictable. Combat has been greatly improved and is actually quite enjoyable and fluid if you have the right augs compared to the janky HR stuff. I mostly veer toward ghosting, but sometimes its fun to hack robots and beat everyone up like robo batman, and MD definitely has more robots than HR like I wanted.

I haven't tried many of the newer augments, but remote hacking can break the game if you overuse it, and there is no limit to its usage. It's been said that the side quests are far more interesting than the main quest, and I think I agree with that. The story isn't necessarily bad, but it lacks vital context to explain why Adam is working with the people he does in this, and the characters aren't as memorable or unique as HR's. Sarif felt like a flawed character making bad decisions with good intentions while the new guy in charge is a brick who shouts orders. Just like the DXHR though, the game is packed with meticulous worldbuilding and many unspoken details can be pieced together just by exploring the environment. Unfortunately, the game only has one major city hub, but for what it's worth there's plenty of secrets, alleyways and apartments to break into and whatnot.

I've heard that the ending is shitty sequel bait, but I'll be eager for the future playthroughs I'm going to get just trying different things out.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:52 pm 
VIP Member

Have thanks: 169 time
I never thought much of Sarif at all. I didn't like any character in HR besides and Adam Jensen. I doubt I'll like any of them in MD either. I've heard a lot of positive things about the level design, so that's probably what interests me most about the game. I don't think I'd be bothered about the game all being set in one location.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:01 am 
revenant

There is a bank level in the game that for some reason made me thought of you. I think you'd like the game a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:49 pm 
The Department of Penis Thread Corrections

Have thanks: 207 time
I like bank levels in games.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:57 pm 
VIP Member

I've heard Dishonored 2 has even better level design than this, and that this game has a range of other problems. But I preferred Human Revolution to Dishonored 1, so I'll probably prefer this to Dishonored 2.

The bank level in Chaos Theory is awesome. I didn't think the one in Thief 2 was that great.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:10 pm 
revenant

Pretty good video that I agree with for a majority up till around the end. Beware of mega spoilers!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:13 pm 
The Department of Penis Thread Corrections

Have thanks: 207 time
I'm replaying DX1. It's amazing how much flavor text there is and how good it is.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:26 pm 
VIP Member

Right, so I suppose I'll give my thoughts on Mankind Divided.

Firstly, I played it on the PS4, and despite it being 4 months since the game's release, it was still bugged as **** for me. There wasn't too many of them, but what was there, was huge, and in the final case, game breaking. The game bugged out on me after I beat Marchenko, and I couldn't reach the conclusion myself. This really pissed me off, and made me harbour a lot more disdain for the game, than I otherwise would have.

But getting passed all that, it was a pretty good game. It didn't really improve much over Human Revolution, but despite that game's flaws, it still stands out as one of the best 7th gen games, so it's not much of a problem. I was probably most impressed by the city of Prague. I really appreciated the work that went into the city. It really felt like a semi-futuristic version of what the city would look like. The extreme gold aesthetic the previous game had, was reduced a lot, and the city didn't just feel futuristic for the sake of being futuristic. It was very believable. I had no problem with it being the only hub world in the game, like a lot of other people did. I did have a problem with the need to travel on trains, to get to the other half of it, especially as the loading times there were quite long, and also because this is what caused a near game breaking bug later on. It should have been optional, and let you travel on foot all over the city, if you wanted. I love how interconnected it all was, as it is though. It's probably the best hub world in the series, and it's better that, than have several mediocre ones.

Regarding the mechanics themselves, I think the stealth has been a bit improved over HR. It's more lenient in how you get spotted. There's a meter that fills and gives you time to hide, rather than you just being immediately spotted. I'm pretty sure HR's system was more binary in how you were spotted. There was more guards in MD though, so there was still a challenge. At least for the first half of the game. What did bother me about the AI, was mostly the same as what bothered me in HR. The guards have pretty good investigative patterns, but when it goes to hostile, every guard is immediately alerted to your exact position. You could be hiding behind a desk or door, and the guards wouldn't see you hiding. But when they enter the room, they start shooting at the position you're hiding at. They don't even think to navigate around it and flank you. Which brings me onto the next problem I have.

The combat. The guns are very satisfying to use, and the game does seem more catered to combat styles than in HR. It's easier to kill the guards and you're not quite as punished for not being stealthy, as you were before. This makes the game seem closer to the original Deus Ex in a way, and theoretically, it can encourage different playthroughs. But the upgrade system isn't complex enough, to really justify it. You have enough praxis points, to be efficient enough at both stealth and combat, and even without allocating them to combat, you're still quite capable of taking out a lot of enemies that way. The AI during the combat, is where it's at its worst, too. The enemies' lack of ability to flank you, makes it very easy to bunker behind a piece of cover, and pick the enemies off easily. They won't even move much to avoid the grenades and such you throw at them.

As the game goes on, you become really powerful, and when you fully upgrade the stealth cloak and power cells, stealth becomes very easy. You can pretty much walk several of the later areas. The hacking is fun, but when you upgrade, you don't need to bother using the multitude of software items you acquire. I had huge amounts of them accumulating in my inventory, that I never used. There's a lot of redundancies in the game in general. The crafting system was fine in theory, but didn't really amount to much. I acquired more than enough items to do me as it was, and being as I didn't engage in combat much, the weapon upgrades weren't really needed either. Although a few were handy.

The level design was mostly good, but certainly not as accomplished as the city of Prague as a whole. The bank and theatre levels were probably the best. But I think there was even more ventilation shafts in the game, than in HR. Getting past the contrivance aspect of it, it just offered a cheap way of circumventing the guards. I really hope they seriously cut down on these, for the next game. I'd say Dishonored 2 actually has it beaten for level design, if nothing else.

I'm not sure if I did all the sidequests. I probably left a few out. But I did make sure to do all of what I came across, and most of them were good. A lot of them being better than the main missions. The story in the game was predictably poor. There was some good banter between teammates, but few characters I cared for much. The sidequests often offer more engaging stuff. Several do tie into the main plot, and should have probably been mandatory. But is not very direct at all.

I'm glad the game removed most of the bosses, and the final encounter with Marchenko was really good. I used stealth and mostly robots to beat him. You had a very wide play arena, to deal with him in. The character was very weak, though.

So there's a number of issues with it, but the game still stands as being good(if you don't experience bugs at least), mainly because there's still few other games like Deus Ex. The original game has more than its fair share of flaws as well, anyway. It's probably one of the few games where nostalgia clouds my better judgement of it. Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines is also heavily flawed, but I'd say that offers the best story of any of these type of games.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:55 pm 
VIP Member

[quote="Campion"]Pretty good video that I agree with for a majority up till around the end. Beware of mega spoilers!

I watched that video too, and I disagree with a lot of it. He can **** off complaining about the lack of bosses, and saying that the Marchenko one wasn't as good as those in HR. That's complete nonsense. Thegamingshit also made a similar ******** case. People complain about annoying bosses in games, and when they're done away with, they still complain anyway. There's various other things throughout, I disagreed with too. The level design is not as great as he made out. There's way too many ventilation shafts for that to be true. I found his complaint about the city of Prague to be entirely related to immersion, and really not so important at all. I don't think the story was as good as he made out. The political themes were too heavy handed, and not taken as far as they should have been. But I don't think the ending is quite as bad as he made out either, and I found the illuminati related stuff to be more engaging than a lot of other things related to the plot. Maybe that's because Bob Page has a lot more charisma than most other characters.

I watched his review of Bioshock as well. I wasn't too fond of that either. Despite the length of his videos, he doesn't go into much detail on gameplay.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:24 pm 
revenant

The game probably has the most amount of vents for a DX game, but they're not as horribly handled as Invisible war or something. In fact, IIRC, some of the levels like almost the entirety of the throat and GARM have very little to no vents in them. Even if we were to subtract all of the vents from the game, I still think the levels themselves would remain fairly good due to their complexity. It's not like 90% of a level can be completed entirely through the ventilation system, they still require you to stealth around in the open or through a room or hallway to reach an objective, or hack a computer or whatever. That's with the exception of the bank level, which I honestly thought worked to the levels favor. They developed this really expansive web of vents and elevator shafts that you have free reign over behind the scenes, but you don't know what you're going to find in every room. There's also the idea of breaking down the bank's security by hacking their computers, which in turn let you disable surveillance for their vaults and **** that you may not have discovered yet.

I found the complaints about there being only one boss battle confusing too. I guess what people really mean is that they wanted more content from the game, but that's not the right kind of content they should be asking for. Also, who is "Thegamingshit?" That doesn't sound like a promising name.

Page 8 of 9 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next