It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:42 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 4 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: NVIDIA's "Maxwell" GPUs
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:09 am 
cacodemon

Have thanks: 1 time
CES 2014 will occur tomorrow where more details on the 800 line of GPUs will be announced. I'm hoping for a a 20nm process, but I doubt it will happen at release. The key feature NVIDIA revealed for these are that they will feature "unified virtual memory." I'm looking at this due to the fact that NVIDIA usually releases a new line of GPUs every 2 years. By the end of the year I'm hoping for a good GPU with this new technology. If not, I could get a high-end card from the 700 line.

I think card manufactures are looking for 4X HD this generation. AMD said they'd deliver but I don't think they have with any single-GPU solution.

I'm not sure how much this new technology matters, though. If this news worthwhile or is it just nice to fantasize about the future?

Post subject: Re: NVIDIA's "Maxwell" GPUs
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:35 pm 
supreme adder

Have thanks: 249 time
We know that the high end cards will be at 20nm. It's not really questionable. We also know they tend to put out the lower end cards first, though.

It's a bit like asking whether Intel will bring Broadwell at 14nm or 20nm. It's designed for years to be made at the process node; they might be late, but they won't change it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:00 pm 
cacodemon

theadder wrote:
We know that the high end cards will be at 20nm. It's not really questionable. We also know they tend to put out the lower end cards first, though.

Yeah, I was thinking that the initial cards could be at 28nm before the better cards come out later. It's also possible that NVIDIA might label a card from the 700 series as belonging to the 800 series. I'm not sure, but they might be manufactured with the 28nm process.

theadder wrote:
It's a bit like asking whether Intel will bring Broadwell at 14nm or 20nm. It's designed for years to be made at the process node; they might be late, but they won't change it.

Was Intel or NVIDIA being referenced in the last part of your statement? NVIDIA might be late using 20nm processes, but they are early with their Maxwell series of GPUs. I think that they may initially use an earlier process because of that.

CES starts today so I'll have to read any details that may be leaked.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:11 am 
supreme adder

The important thing is that there's a distinction between the GTX 800 name and Maxwell.

All Maxwell cards will be GTX 800 cards, but all GTX 800 cards are not Maxwell cards.

The initial GTX 800 cards will be at 28nm, but this is because they will not be Maxwell cards.

The last part of my statement references both companies. No Maxwell GPU will ever be made at 28nm. No Broadwell CPU will ever be made at 22nm. Neither is possible without significant re-engineering.

The process node and the internal structure of the chip are closely tied together.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:31 am 
cacodemon

Thanks, that explains it very well.

NVIDIA only gave details on its Tegra GPU today. Interesting tech, but I'm not into mobile gaming.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:49 am 
supreme adder

Tegra will be bad again.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:12 am 
cacodemon

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-maxwell-gm107/

The initial 800 series CPUs won't feature the Maxwell architecture as theadder said.

I'm wondering if the UVM of the Maxwell cards will make megatexturing easier. I suppose it would depend upon how much of the processor's power will be shared with the GPU. If it's not that much then tile swapping will still need to be used. If it's sufficient for the amount of texture data in, say, RAGE, then I don't think the problem with the textures loading slowly will be a problem since the GPU won't be waiting long to get a copy of the data from the bus. Unfortunately, NVIDIA didn't reveal any information at CES regarding the UVM of the Maxwell cards.

I haven't played RAGE, but I'm interested in the technology behind it and was wondering if the Maxwell architecture could work well with megatexturing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:20 am 
cacodemon

theadder wrote:
Tegra will be bad again.

I don't know anything about its past. It's looking pretty powerful though:

http://wccftech.com/tegra-k1-superchip- ... r-tegra-4/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:41 am 
supreme adder

MijukuDesu wrote:

It always uses too much power and is therefore bad.

Apple is where interesting mobile chip development is. All that the Android OEMs do is add more cores.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:41 am 
hell knight

Have thanks: 133 time
theadder wrote:
MijukuDesu wrote:

It always uses too much power and is therefore bad.

Apple is where interesting mobile chip development is. All that the Android OEMs do is add more cores.

Motorola recently has been fairly interesting. The Moto X subverts the more cores approach and focuses on an improved user experience.

Page 1 of 4 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next