It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:25 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Pathologic remake
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:58 pm 
Audrey Horne

Have thanks: 492 time
alerommel wrote:
I am waiting for the remake with a lot of hype. I am a big fan of the original and, if they fixed most of the issues it had, the remake might actually be an amazing experience.

alerommel, there is a classic HD version that improves on the 2006 release significantly. The remake will feature a different engine, completely different artstyle (imo) and gameplay experience. There is an extensive post on the differences. I named the thread badly, changed it imo

Do I want a house, or do I want a boat?

Post subject: Re: Pathologic (original, classic HD and "reboot")
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 5:12 am 
revenant

Have thanks: 36 time
@Bego,

Yes I know about the HD classic version. I don't know how much it improves on the original besides the translation, though. The original requires a lot of bug fixes and gameplay polish that I doubt they fixed in this version. I might buy if it gets on sale, because I gave up my second playthrough of Pathologic (with the second character) last year, after a game breaking glitch, that instantly killed me every time I tried to reload it.

However, the remake does indeed look very promising. I just hope they add more quests and improve on the interaction with the characters. The ability to rob stores for example was not possible in the original, and apparently it's going to be in the remake.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 5:17 am 
revenant

@Gilgamesh,

The entire first day is just the intro of the entire game, that only serves you to give you an idea of the basic gameplay mechanics (stores, characters, dialogue etc.). You can't even die on the first day. The game starts on the second day, after the plague breaks out.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 5:40 am 
hell knight

Have thanks: 49 time
alerommel wrote:
The original requires a lot of bug fixes and gameplay polish that I doubt they fixed in this version.

I actually played the HD classic version fairly recently. I can't really compare it to the original release, as I've only played the HD version, but for what it's worth, I didn't encounter any noticeable or particularly bad bugs when I played it. I actually don't remember encountering a single bug, but I'm sure I encountered at least one somewhere. probably. So I feel like they definitely did a lot of bug fixing for the HD version.

As for gameplay polish... the gameplay is horrible. Even if it's polished, it's still quite bad.

That said, I loved the game to bits. It was fantastic. But it's not a game I'd recommend to other people, as much as I want to. It's a hard game to recommend.

alerommel wrote:
I might buy if it gets on sale, because I gave up my second playthrough of Pathologic (with the second character) last year, after a game breaking glitch, that instantly killed me every time I tried to reload it.

It's on sale now (on steam) until may 16th, actually. If you're interested.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 6:56 am 
revenant

@Soup,

Most of the bugs in the original game are hard to spot but when you do they are gamebreaking. In one occasion I couldn't pick up an item from the ground that was crucial to complete the main quest and as a result I got a man ill the next day. An other one forced me to abandon the game because I simply couldn't reload it without getting instantly killed, upon doing so.

I think the first one was fixed though in a recent patch so yes, perhaps a lot of the bugs are fixed.

The game mechanics are horrible indeed. AI is pathetic, the shooting is awkward, and there is a lot of walking. But none of them are really that much annoying. The shooting is bad, but you are required to shoot very rarely, and the walking becomes much more interesting when you have to go through an infected district and avoid the plague clouds, the thieves and the crazy molotov guys.

Why do you consider it horrible and yet you love it?

I saw it on sale. Unfortunately it's not a low enough sale to buy it. I already have the game on disc, so the only price I am willing to give to buy this HD version is 2-3 Euros max. :)

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 5:59 pm 
hell knight

Have thanks: 49 time
I don't consider the game horrible, I just consider the gameplay itself horrible, and that could make people not want to continue with the game. You are right, none of them really got that annoying for me (except the melee combat. When I found out that, despite my large sweeping melee animation, the weapon only hits where the tiny crosshair is... oh boy), but they are still bad either way. I do consider the walking more interesting when there's infected districts and enemies in it (especially interesting when the military shows up), and also I just enjoyed the walking because despite the outdated graphics, I think the game looks very nice.

But. How do I put this in words without it sounding weird... I love pathologic, but I don't think it's very good as a game. It is essentially a walking and talking simulator, with some bad combat, and harsh survival mechanics (I do like the survival mechanics though). This makes it super super hard to recommend it to other people. I can't think of a single person I know that I could recommend this game to, and have them not quit before the second day ends. I just know not many people would be interested in walking back and forth and talking to people over and over, fighting people with a horrible combat system, and trying to survive for ~30 hours. Pathologic is a very exhausting game. I was able to look past all this and enjoy it (also I did enjoy the walking part of it as mentioned before), but I know not many other people would be willing to put the effort forth to play it. And that's a damn shame, because pathologic is brilliant. It's just not for everyone.

I'm having a bit trouble wording this in a way that's satisfying and clear enough for me, but hopefully it at least vaguely makes sense.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:16 pm 
revenant

I agree with everything you said.

The melee is bad, especially when the weapon is damaged.

What I really loved about the game however, was exactly how hard it was to survive. It's not impossible and neither does it require much trial and error, but it demands from you large sacrifices on money, goods, and precious in-game time. The phrase that goes around "Trade a rifle for a bread" is real and not exaggerated, and I don't think any other game has captured that feeling.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:46 am 
Audrey Horne

I just met and chatted with a guy who's been working on Icepick Lodge's The Void and is going to translate the upcoming Pathologic revisioning. He has a really nice (English!) blog going on with lots and lots of references to Pathologic. This one is about the "ethical avatar", enjoy:

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Wolfgang ... Avatar.php

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:47 am 
Audrey Horne

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/1 ... ic-review/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:42 pm 
VIP Member

Have thanks: 169 time
I read through that years ago. It's a good write up.

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2