It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:56 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: WarHammer 40K book recommendations?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:20 am 
revenant

Have thanks: 0 time
I want to start getting more into the Warhammer 40K lore as I've always had an interest in that franchise since I was a kid, so what are the best novels?

Post subject: Re: WarHammer 40K book recommendations?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:58 am 
jaghut tyrant

Have thanks: 14 time
Raven's Flight was really good.
In fact every book amalgamated into the Horus Heresy I found really interesting.
And I would recommend starting with the Horus Heresy, as there are many novels for it and it is a perfect starting point, as it was the creation of the Chaos Space Marines.

Just about all of the Black Libary novels are from the perspective of either the Imperium or the Eldar. So if you like the 4 factions (Witch Hunters, Inquisition, Space Marines, Imperial Guard) and their 4 subfactions (respectively; Sisters of Battle, Grey Knights, Heretical Space Marines, Steel Legion) that make up the former, or the latter, then basically pick and choose what appeals to you from this list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bl ... ary_novels

The Shira Calpurnia series is great too.
Especially if you're into arbites/the Witch Hunters.

If you're interested in Warhammer Fantasy, I also recommend the Blackhearts saga. I really liked it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:59 pm 
big fat controller

Have thanks: 1 time
Gaunt's Ghosts is a series about a bunch of Imperial Guardsmen, recruited from the planet Tanith shortly before it was destroyed, making them the 'First and Only' regiment of the planet. It follows the exploits of Commissar Gaunt and his soldiers. They are pretty fucking awesome books. There are like a bazillion books in this series and I haven't yet read them all, but I haven't yet read a bad one.

The Eisenhorn Omnibus is a trilogy about an Imperial Inquisitor, Inquisitors being like above-the-law secret police tasked with rooting out heretics, aliens and daemons. I actually don't remember what Eisenhorn is about, but I REALLY enjoyed it.

Xenology is a book written and illustrated in the style of a journal from the perspective of a rogue Inquisitor who wishes to study aliens rather than destroy them. It works as an introduction to many of the core races of 40K with this Inquisitor describing their behaviours.

The Horus Heresy series tells the tale of how the Imperium of Man, once prosperous and lovely, was torn apart by the forces of Chaos led by the Chaos-corrupted Space Marine Primarch Horus. The series is up to something silly now like 20 books and I've only read a couple. What I can tell you is that because there are so many authors working on it, it's a wildly inconsistent series as far as quality goes, but quality or not it tells the most important story in the Warhammer 40K universe and it works as an origin story, making it an in for anyone interested in getting into Warhammer 40K.

The short answer to your question is, if Dan Abnett wrote it, buy it. There are other good writers in the BL, but I consider just about everyone else a bit of a gamble.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:46 pm 
ultraviolent pacifist

Everything by Dan Abnett is indeed gold. The Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies are some of the best books I've ever read (you should ideally read them in that order, too, since they're related, and Eisenhorn is before Ravenor chronologically). Great writing, great characters, great plots, great twists, great action. Great books all-around.

The Ultramarines series has some of the better 40K books I've read, with the second and third standing out the most as they take place in a Tyranid invasion and the Eye of Terror, respectively, and they portray them pretty memorably. Graham McNeil is no Dan Abnett, but you can generally count on his books to be solid.

The Horus Heresy is a must-read for anyone looking to get into 40K fiction even if it isn't as good as some of the smaller, more dedicated series out there. It's kind of mixed, too, as each book has a different writer from the one before it. So you'll have Dan Abnett knocking it out of the park in one of them, and Ben Counter forcing you to read through his awful drivel (I.E., you have to read it before you can move on to the next book) in another. But it's still quite good overall, and tells an important story in terms of the lore.

The Space Wolves series is pretty well-regarded, though a fair bit overrated, I'd say. I think it's merely okay, but worth reading once you've sunk your teeth into some better books first.

There's some junk out there, too, though. The Last Chancers by Gav Thorpe is very dry and boring as 40K series go, and generally not well-written, though it has some somewhat interesting sequences in it. As previously mentioned, Ben Counter is no good. His writing is the kind of consistently inept stuff that just makes you wince and sigh throughout. CS Goto is purportedly a blight upon literature whose books should be burned whenever possible. I've not read any of them, myself, but the man has one of the worst reputations I've ever seen a writer have, with it including a tendency to rape 40K lore every chance he gets.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:33 pm 
spectre

Only one I've ever read is Storm of Iron and it was fucking awesome

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:10 pm 
former human

Horus Heresy stands out, particuarly Legion, Mechanicum and anything concerning Garro.

Nightbringer was a good one as well.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:32 am 
The Department of Penis Thread Corrections

Have thanks: 207 time
Dang this thread is old.

Anyways I'm in the middle of a 40k binge-read right now. I re-read the Ravenor trilogy and Pariah in preparation for Penitent (Pariah's sequel). When I was halfway through the Ravenor books, though, I was looking for some sci-fi at a used bookstore I had credit for and stumbled across four goddamn Warhammer books I had on my list. I'm first going to read Kill Team (sequel to 13th Legion, a Last Chancers novel) by Gav Thorpe. From what I remember, 13th Legion was about as grim as 40k gets; think Saving Private Ryan except with less hope and more inevitability. It was very sobering.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]