It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 5:35 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 453 of 453 [ 4522 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 449, 450, 451, 452, 453
 Post subject: Re: What game ya'll playin'
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:30 am 
revenant

Have thanks: 36 time
OK, so I am playing the first Zeno Clash for the first time. It's a game that has been discussed a lot here, and I think mostly in a positive way.

I have to admit I am not enjoying the game at all. Yes, the combat mechanics are good, but the game doesn't give you the chance to use them. Having to fight constantly against 3-4 opponents at once doesn't give you enough time to practise the blocking and punching mechanics since you are constantly under attack. Literally, the very first fight you fight in this game is against 3 opponents. How am I supposed to learn the main strategy of a game when it doesn't give me the chance to develop it? What works better is trying to run away from enemies, charge, attack, run away and repeat.

The game reminds of the old arcade beat em ups like Knights of the Round. There was a blocking mechanic in this game, yet you didn't have the time to master it, because you were always overwhelmed by too many enemies.

The fact that Zeno Clash is in first person view doesn't help. The camera is constantly moving when you get hit, and when you "lock" into enemies is hell. I am trying to unlock and run away and I can't because I lock into another enemy. That's incredibly annoying and you don't have the time to think when everyone is constantly attacking you.

Also the fact thay you run out of stamina adds to the annoyance.

Regarding the shooting mechanics, the are pretty terrible. All of the sections that don't involve punching are target practise of the worst kind. Reloading the gun is very awkward and I feel half of the time it doesn't even respond when I press the button.

The main problem I have with Zeno Clash is that its mechanics don't require practise. I haven't gotten stuck in any point of the game because I wasn't good enough with it. I got through most of the fights by running, punching and shooting with the occasional weapons you find. I felt that becoming good in the blocking mechanic wasn't rewarding in any way, because the fights felt completely overwhelming when you try to get into a defensive position, and because running away and charging seems a better strategy.

Also, the "heavy guy" fights are pretty bad as well. You can only hurt them with a single heavy weapon, that you can drop very easily. Even then, the weapon sometimes doesn't hurt the opponent, others it barely scratches him and others it stuns him. The result I get from every hit seems very random.

I haven't finished the game yet, so my opinion might change. I am now into a stupid level where you have to kill an annoying guy with a crossbow. Awful level.

Post subject: Re: What game ya'll playin'
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:41 am 
VIP Member

Have thanks: 170 time
Running and charging was definitely the best strategy to beat the enemies. I do remember some of the powerful kicks being effective too, though. I didn't have a problem with the stamina meter. It serves a similar purpose to that in the Souls games. The game might not be as good as I remember, but I love the artstyle and setting of the game. That tended to stick with me the most. I didn't like the gunplay either, but I did like throwing things at enemies. Breakdown may have been a better first person melee combat game, despite having its flaws too. I would like to see more experimentation with first person melee combat.

Page 453 of 453 [ 4522 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 449, 450, 451, 452, 453