It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:41 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 4 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Resident Evil HD Remaster - MiniReview - Campion1
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:50 pm 
revenant

Have thanks: 81 time
Quote:
The amount of backtracking required just to make sure you have spaces in the inventory is getting real tedious. This must be a nightmare when playing as Chris. It seems like an artificial way of elongating the game.
Well it might make sense for a game that calls itself survival horror to have a limited inventory. You can't just stuff your fanny pack with every weapon and ammo type in the safe room, you need to carry light. Carry what you'll think you need in the area you're going to next with a weapon and that should be it. Almost with every complaint I've ever seen with the inventory in this game, people are usually carrying unnecessary shit everywhere. It's not on the game if you keep backpacking ink ribbon or square crank or whatever for some reason. There's also the conflict of having to return to the area you left something at when it's surrounded by enemies that you have either decided to avoid or just suddenly appeared. A good example is the plant room that has a bunch of herbs. If you have to make a trip back, then zombies will suddenly burst through the windows and crowd the place. What would once be a normal trek back is now a risk you have to take.

If you want a hint about the magnum... It may involve using the wind crest somewhere outside the mansion.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:00 am 
VIP Member

Have thanks: 169 time
Limited inventories don't have much to do with survival horror. Silent Hill let you carry what you like, and that was far more of a survival horror than any Resident Evil. Sure you can't be expected to be carrying a huge amount of heat, but theres a range of other items that constantly accumulate. It's mostly health items. I have at least ten first aid sprays stored in the chest now, and a shitload of different herbs. I hardly ever need to use them because the game isn't hard in that sense at all. People have bitched about dying too easily in the game, but it's not hard at all. I don't carry ink ribbons or cranks around much at all. I know what to carry. I'm an RE veteran at this point after all. This being a new game for me, however, means I can't know exactly what items I'm going to need to bring with me the whole time. You can't know that, without already having played through it. RE 4 definitely did wonders for this series. I don't give a fuck what all those conservative fanboys says. The gratification from shooting enemies is one of the best things about the series, and RE 4 ramped that up to the extreme, and cut out the bullshit. That said, I do enjoy solving the puzzles themselves in this game. It has probably the best puzzles in the series. The best way to describe the pre RE 4 iterations, are horror themed puzzle games. I will say though, the design of Lisa Trevor is quite creepy. It seems more reminiscent of a monster from Silent Hill.

I found the magnum. I'm in the lab now. I just blew a few chimeras away with the shotgun and magnum. Extremely satisfying stuff. The lock on probably makes it a bit too easy at times, but the fixed camera only artificially challenges the player, so it's an even trade off.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:02 am 
revenant

Gilgamesh wrote:
Limited inventories don't have much to do with survival horror. Silent Hill let you carry what you like, and that was far more of a survival horror than any Resident Evil.
I haven't played SH in quite a long time, and correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember you getting access to weapons like revolvers, tactical shotguns, grenade launchers and the like in Silent Hill. So limited inventory probably wouldn't be necessary there.

The original RE and RE2 can be a bit generous with items. I recommend Hard mode, or real survival if you want more challenge. It probably strips almost half or 65% of ammo and whatnot. I don't know approximate percentage, I just know that it's a substantial leap in difficulty.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:22 am 
VIP Member

It didn't, but that's not my point. I'm not talking about ammo, I'm talking about spaces being filled up with a range of other items.

I don't really think there's too much ammo, but there's too much health. Especially first aid sprays.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:49 pm 
revenant

"You sound strange..."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:28 pm 
VIP Member

George strikes again

I thought it was a decent video, but he overpraised the game and really overdramatised certain things, like the sections where you need to walk with the explosive canister being really tense. I had already killed the chimera, so it was a calm walk for me. That shark wasn't an instant kill for me either, and there are other things in the game that are, like the boulders, which he seems to neglect. I didn't quite notice the amount of changes between versions, until he pointed them out though. Despite having played the original game several times, the directors cut and now the REmake. It does make me appreciate the changes to the mansion all the more. I was a bit disappointed that the other areas outside the mansion didn't undergo the same level of renovation though. The lab is pretty much identical to before.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:19 am 
revenant

I was really starting to dislike this guy, but this video managed to win back a little bit. It's refreshing to hear someone get into niddy gritty of what they enjoyed so much about it, especially for REmake. It's especially surprising that his prime reason wasn't just that it was cheesy for once!

I think for somebody like bunnyhop, it was probably the idea of carrying the explosive canister itself in the monster filled lab that was tense rather than the reality of his path being cleared. As you can see in the video, he ends up going the completely wrong way and getting himself in more trouble than was necessary.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:33 am 
VIP Member

So you dislike him when he's cynical but like him when he gives a game more praise than it deserves? It's definitely not a 10/10 game. It's an 8 at best. It's archaic in a number of ways and not what horro gaming should regress to, like he makes out. I didn't like how had to specify that it was his subjective opinion that it's a 10. The only reason I can see him doing that, is to cover his arse from any backlash. It's the cowards way out and makes him look indecisive.

Yeah, I noticed he didn't have a clue what he was doing there, really. I don't think the game is that scary either. Like most RE games, it stops being scary after the first hour or of play. The horror has always just been the cherry on top for me, and not the reason I pay the games. It's why it pisses me off to know end, when people say the series isn't scary anymore, and should go back to its 'horror' roots. The series is at a dead end, that I can't see it ever escaping from, at this point.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:54 am 
revenant

Merely specifying something as your opinion is not enough in the eyes of Gilgamesh !!! I for one thought he should have made a metroidvania comparison for some reason.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:33 pm 
VIP Member

You do not need to specify something as your opinion in a review or analysis. It should go without saying. If someone keeps saying stuff, like it's just my opinion, it discredits what they have to say.

I don't know if he understands the concept a Metroidvania. A lot of people don't. Metroid Prime was most commonly referred to either as an FPS or an first person adventure. I don't claim to be an expert on what constitutes a Metroidvania either though. I'm not sure if I'd call games like Arkham Asylum or Soul Reaver, Metroidvania or just Metroidvania esque. Dark Souls is a game that has every facet of a good Metroidvania. You just progress with keys instead of power ups, but at the same time, you still acquire those keys in similar ways. You get them from beating bosses, before you traverse back to a previously unexplored areas. But is it a Metroidvania? Who knows. I will say that Lordran's world design is superior to Tallon IV's. I didn't think Tallon IV is as ingeniously connected. You don't get to see the destinations that you eventually go to, from a distance, and I think there's some hammerspace. Your progression feels a lot more natural in Dark Souls too.

Maybe I might write an essay on Metroidvania sometime. I should also get back to Dark Souls 2, despite it having a shitty world.

Page 2 of 4 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next