It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:26 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 4 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Resident Evil HD Remaster - MiniReview - Campion1
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:21 am 
revenant

Have thanks: 81 time
I wrote this for steam but I thought I'd post it here since this section has been feeling lonely.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7656 ... ded/304240
Quote:
I made it up to the gaurdhouse as Jill and I think I can say with confidence that this is a quality port. It's a constant 60 at 1080p (You can set the fps to unlimited with higher resolution, of course) with little to no bugs whatsoever. The only things you have to worry about is a very rare occasion of music being sped up (Update: It would seem some tracks were sped up on purpose, which I don't agree with), mouse showing up during gameplay for some reason and crappy console main menu that doesn't let you use scroll wheel. Outside of these minor naggles, it should be a flawless experience.

As far as the game itself goes, a lot of the backgrounds look fantastic (Especially outside environments) while others look like a muddy mess, notably the Richard hallway, piano room and the shark aqua ring being the absolute worst. 60fps does this game wonders, and honestly it's instantly preferable over the gamecube and console versions. The "Jiggly boobs" aren't as noticable as people had pointed out in past videos and in reality your eyeballs will probably be elsewhere when you're playing. Playing this game with a headset, the audio is night and day compared to Gamecube thanks to uncompressed sound, and same thing applies to visuals with a higher resolution as you'll notice things you couldn't before on a blurry TV. It appears that the game supports leaderboards but speedrunners of previous japenese last gen releases have confirmed that results are unfiltered regardless of difficulty or unlockables, meaning that guy who beats the game on very easy with a rocketlauncher will always be at the top of the leaderboard for "normal" game modes and invisible enemy. Real survival will probably be the main stay for little bit, at least until hackers mess that up like they always do with online leaderboards.

Also... You can't skip doors yet. If Capcom doesn't patch this, then the modding community will.

Now, for the gameplay, I know that you know that you already have your mind made up on if you like it or not. If you do, buy this. If you had played previous RE's and disliked them, but haven't played REmake, then I strongly recommend this one, as it's the most refined of the bunch. It's also about 70% different (they weren't lying) than what you had played before in RE1, along with the addition of crimson heads who are zombies you have killed resurrecting with steroids. If you don't like RE at all, then I recommend Alien Isolation or Penumbra or something if you want to scratch your survival horror itch.

But yeah, Capcom didn't fuck this one and that's all that should matter to you.

hey look it's my 600th post

Post subject: Re: Resident Evil HD Remaster - MiniReview - Campion1
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:31 pm 
VIP Member

Have thanks: 169 time
I played through some of this. The mansion is certainly very different to what it was in the original game. It seems like even more of an enormous puzzle box, more so than an actual residence. 90% of the doors are immediately locked. The whole set up is clearly very contrived, which could be argued is to be expected from a remaster of a remake of a game that's nearly 20 years old. But having played a lot of Metroidvania games since, and playing Super Metroid recently, which was released two years before the original RE, it does put into perspective, the extreme difference between a Metroidvania game, and a game that just happens to feature lots of traditional backtracking. Metroidvania is more timeless, and comes across as much more natural.

All that said, it was still good 'to be back'. That first zombie even still managed to instill a bit of a chill down my spine. The atmosphere has certainly been ramped up for the remake. I'm not sure if it's been ramped up much for the remaster though. I still can't imagine being that scared for long, as RE has never been genuinely scary for me. It is somewhat refreshing to play an older variant in the series though, and one with absolutely no hand holding. My nostalgia will likely carry me through it, but I don't really see the game being all that relevant today, and would probably recommend the older Silent Hills over it, for retro horror.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:49 pm 
revenant

I'm surprised you didn't say anything about the controls. I still find the older RE zombies and their cold dehumanized groans to be fairly eerie compared to how zombies are usually treated today.
Quote:
Metroidvania is more timeless, and comes across as much more natural.
IDK where that comparison came from? It might be an extreme difference because REmake isn't trying to be anything that it wasn't in the first place. You're not unlocking abilities to that help you get to places you couldn't before or even use for other in game purposes, you're finding items that unlock more of the house.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:10 pm 
VIP Member

So far, I'm mostly okay with the updated controls. The fixed camera is of course a problem, but I knew it would be long before I played it. It does manage to add to the atmosphere a bit and hasn't bothered me too much yet though. But again those Crimson heads and hunters come along, I'll probably be cursing and blinding at the screen.

My point was mostly just about how the game, and lots of similar games on the PS1 have aged, and their extreme emphasis on backtracking is a component in that factor. Metroidvania games don't tend to age as much, because they handle backtracking much better. It's just something I've been thinking about lately, after reflecting on a lot of games I've played.

I do like how you unlock short cuts in the mansion and how things loop back, but I still find myself wandering back and forth constantly, trying to find where to go. It's a puzzle game first and a horror game second. I suppose that's okay in a sense, and I do like the mansion, but it does get rote after a point.

I agree that the zombies. They are probably better than zombies in 99% of other games. They do manage to cause at least some fear. Considering how zombies are little more than self parody these days, regardless of what they're in, that is somewhat of an accomplishment, and could be considered coming full circle for the series that popularised them in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:43 pm 
revenant

I agreed with the zombie part of your post, but again you're making comparisons where there are none to be made concerning metroidvania. I suppose you're just bringing up an excuse to talk about it just because they both feature backtracking, even though the methods of how they are handled are entirely different for reasons I already explained above. There are no "secret" areas that you can return to later with brand new abilities, it's all locked by items and most every area must be accessed to progress in game. I found a nice comment on a shitty eurogamer review that I agree with on the "backtracking"
Quote:
Mixed feelings about this review. I can't say I agree with it all, especially he parts that concern backtracking and puzzle solving. More in-depth discussion of the mechanics might have been helpful for the uninitiated player, too.

The genius of this game is that, while it does force you to go over old ground more than once, it changes the rules and conditions when it does so to keep you on your toes, so even the familiar is not necessarily safe. Here's a few examples:

- As soon as you get the second major mansion key and begin to explore further, it introduces the crimson head mechanic, making previously cleared rooms dangerous again.
- When you're done with that key, the game poses you a challenge of getting from one end of the mansion to another (on a different floor) within a strict time limit, or a friendly character dies. You can't slowly and methodically progress to complete this, you need to plan the route and do it quickly.
- When the mansion starts to get dull, the game takes you to the residence, a new area. When you get back to the mansion, it is once again filled with even more dangerous enemies.

The pacing of this game is phenomenal - very well judged so that it gives you something different to deal with at just the right interval. I really can't agree with this review and what it says about the backtracking, as I think it a huge disservice to the game.

Also, the game's map function has a feature where it tells you if you've 100% cleared a particular room - this is very useful for confirming that you have got everything you can, and a boon to new/casual players. As said by others already, the many files and flavour text in the game provide useful clues or outright solutions to the puzzles too.
On top of these things, sometimes events will happen when zombies will crowd a previously safe hallway or that doorknob will break after a certain number of uses. Then there are introduction of old keys in Chris's story that are often in dangerous, out of the way locations that open all sorts of doors you had opened without a problem in jill's story. Things like this would be insignificant in a metroidvania game where action with respawning enemies is the main focus compared to REmake's more personal confrontations with limited ammo.

I beat real survival with Chris for the first time on REmaster and I still sincerely believe that's where the real shit is for this game, and I haven't even refreshed myself on invisible enemy mode yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:03 pm 
VIP Member

There are optional rooms to go into, to collect items. That could be considered going back for secrets. Anyway, regarding the concept of Metroidvania, it seems to be very subjective as to what it actually is. Lots of people will argue that only 2D platformers can be Metroidvania, and they neglect 3 D variations of the same thing. I call bullshit on that, especially when you take into account Metroid Prime. I also read an article where this gentleman made a good case for Dark Souls being a Metroidvania. The line between what constitutes a power up and key can sometimes be quite blurry too. Soul Reaver 2 featuring an example of that.

I'm after encountering the crimson heads now. They don't seem to be as frustrating as I thought they be. Having to aim precisely at their head to kill them can be a bit annoying though. I'd agree with that poster that the map is pretty useful. I didn't notice it at first, but it does point out things that weren't pointed out in the original game. Calling the pacing phenomenal seems like a pretty hyperbolic claim, but it does seem well paced enough. I suppose the amount of backtracking is going to vary between individuals, depending on how quickly you manage to find out what to do. Speedrunners probably wouldn't need to bother much with it at all.

I'm enjoying the game anyway. I just think it's a bit similar to the original Half Life, in the sense that it isn't that relevant anymore. I don't know if I'll play through it as Chris again. It was tough enough to bit the original game with him.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:35 pm 
VIP Member

I'm after playing the game as far as the encounter with the zombie sharks. They actually pose a threat in this game.

I think I may have been a bit harsh on the game earlier. The mansion's new design is better than the old, and it wasn't long before I left and went to the guardhouse. There was lots of new stuff to see and new puzzles, not in the original game. The encounter with the snake was quite different in this too. I remember him being much harder to kill in the original game, and I don't think Richard came barging in at all. I assume there's no way to save him, because he got eaten in the end anyway.

I also read that Eurogamer review. I thought it was funny how he bitched and moaned about the puzzles. They really aren't that hard. His complaints about the dog puzzle in particular just made him look like an idiot, You're given information about it as well as shown an image of the location. Comparing it to Myst is stupid. The first Silent Hill has way harder puzzles too. He gave it a 7, but but the writing made it seem like a 4 or 5. I also noticed someone in the comments there, brought up Metroid and said it handles backtracking much better. That was interesting, as we were just discussing Metroidvania. I do still think the game has aged in a number of ways. The backtracking regarding putting items in the crate is probably the most tedious aspect about that, and the fixed cameras are starting to bug me. The dog encounters are probably when it's most problematic. They can kill you a lot easier than in the original game too. All that said, it's still an enjoyable experience and the REmake definitely provides a lot new.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:20 am 
revenant

If you passed the aqua ring, then you should be encountering the plant soon, then afterword hunters. Tell me how that goes.

Think you'll want to do Chris after you're done with Jill?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:16 am 
VIP Member

I'm on that puzzle regarding that door with the numbers, in the guardhouse now. I don't know what the story is with it. It's a lot more complex then it was in the original game, where you're just required to press random buttons to succeed. I'm sure I'll figure it out though.

I don't know about any replays. Possibly.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:44 pm 
VIP Member

I'm down in the sewers now. I fought a number of hunters. They were easy enough to dispense with. The camera angles weren't as annoying when fighting them as in the original game. The acid rounds were quite effective against them. The amount of backtracking required just to make sure you have spaces in the inventory is getting real tedious. This must be a nightmare when playing as Chris. It seems like an artificial way of elongating the game. I don't remember it being as bad in the original game.

I haven't found the magnum yet. I also don't know if the red jewel serves a purpose or not. I haven't consulted a walkthrough for this game yet, but I hope I don't miss the magnum.

Page 1 of 4 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next