It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 7:01 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 4 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Sherlock
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:05 pm 
Audrey Horne

Have thanks: 498 time
I've completed both seasons. It's great fun. I really like how they translate the novels into the 21st century.
The only thing that's kind of silly are Holmes' supernatural detecting skills (e.g. noticing a stain on the sleeve indicating something ridiculous), but other than that: *Brilliant* acting by everyone involved (especially Moriarty), very good translation of classic Holmes stories and well dosed humour. It's quite great.

I recommend it to everyone. There are only 2 seasons with 3 episodes per season (each takes 90 minutes, though).

Do I want a house, or do I want a boat?

Post subject: Re: Sherlock
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:36 pm 
baron of hell

Have thanks: 266 time
I like the Peter Cushing sherlock!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:44 pm 
hell knight

Have thanks: 0 time
I just finished watching through the box set with my dad, it is indeed rather fantastic, I enjoyed it very much from start to finish, it's especially well polished and it has some of the finest acting and writing I've seen on TV. My dad however, found it hard to keep up with the plot, I often found myself having to explain certain aspects to him when it was over, to be fair, while I personally didn't have an issue with it, considering the density of the plot and the speed at which it's told, it's not hard to fault him for not being able to piece together all the pieces, it's no Paradox Spiral mind.

The only real complaint that we shared was at times the show had a few silly moments with deux ex machina style writing which kinda hurt the flow of things. They weren't common moments mind, the most significant only is probably the scene with the bloke standing in Piccadilly Circus for hours on end in episode three, and the second with one particular moment in episode six in the Tower of London. Neither ruin the experience of the show, they just feel like they stick out more then normal due to the very high quality of execution everywhere else.

Aside from that the show is something I'd recomend to just about anyone, my personal favourite thing about the show was some of the side characters, I thought Molly in particular was a rather cute character but the show really shined in the interactions between John and Sherlock, it's just so well done and the way the two complement each other is just *perfect*, it's probably one of my favourite relationships in and show or film. Not that it has much competition really.

Also Lyra say's I should watch Stalker (1979 Russian film) since I really liked the cinematography in Sherlock, I shall eventually get around to doing that and I shall comment on that when I have, till then, I shall remain in anticipation for season three of Sherlock.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:57 am 
Audrey Horne

Have thanks: 498 time
I am not sure how the cinematography in Stalker has anything to do with cinematohraphy in Sherlock, but yes, watch Tarkovsky's films.
Andrej Rubljow is his best, then Stalker and Solaris.

Do I want a house, or do I want a boat?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:26 pm 
former human

I recommend that Soviet movies about Sherlock Holmes.

They star Vasilii Livanov and Vitalii Solomin.

It's an excelent series that goes as far as receive a medal from the Queen of England.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:32 pm 
hell knight

Anderson, you're not dead!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:45 pm 
former human

Koopsas wrote:
Anderson, you're not dead!

No, I'm not.

Why do you ask?

Maybe I didn't enable notifications, haven't been around lately - but I decided to check in. Did I miss anything?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:14 pm 
hell knight

Anderson wrote:
Did I miss anything?

Uh, no, not really now that you mention it, but the forum has got an awful lot more Nordic since I last saw you around.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:52 am 
former human

Koopsas wrote:
Anderson wrote:
Did I miss anything?

Uh, no, not really now that you mention it, but the forum has got an awful lot more Nordic since I last saw you around.

You mean broken? Or slow? Or lakcing population?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:04 am 
hell knight

Have thanks: 246 time
Anderson wrote:
Koopsas wrote:
Anderson wrote:
Did I miss anything?

You mean broken? Or slow? Or lakcing population?

I'll take that as an insult!!!

Seriously though I think he just means how Scandinavians have taken their rightful place on the throne of this forum.

Page 1 of 4 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next