It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:35 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 9 of 13 [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Some paintings
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:14 pm 
Audrey Horne

Have thanks: 492 time
There are lots of them!

Do I want a house, or do I want a boat?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:35 pm 
revenant

Have thanks: 74 time
I went to the MoMA last week. It was nice. I have free passes now gg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:16 pm 
The Department of Penis Thread Corrections

Have thanks: 207 time
Nice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:57 am 
revenant

I presented some paintings to my Spanish class in Spanish. I got a standing ovation and 50/50. gg

Spoiler:

and

Spoiler:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:16 pm 
Audrey Horne

present them to us imho!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:01 pm 
hell knight

Have thanks: 245 time
Begogian wrote:
present them to us imho!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:09 am 
bran the barn owl

Have thanks: 235 time
Nice work!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:07 am 
revenant

[quote="Begogian"]present them to us imho!

^^ The presentation was to analyze the artwork and connect it to the central questions about society, beauty, technology etc. that our course attempts to discuss.
translated from lyrian, which is why it's not written as sophisticatedly as I would have in English

Hello class, today I will present two works from the pop art genre. (no other presenter had a central theme for the pieces they picked)

First, "Girl with Ball" is an oil on canvas by Roy Lichtenstein
Spoiler:
, an artist in the 20th century and a central figure in American pop art. I chose the question "how do ideals of beauty and aesthetics influence daily life?" because the inspiration of this work was an advertisement in a newspaper. Advertisements affect us everyday. According to the MoMa website, Lichenstein wanted to express that advertisements make our ideals of beauty and aesthetics simpler. To support this observation, I noticed three stylistic details in the work.
1. Lichtenstein uses many small dots, which you (addressing the class) can't see, since you're far from the screen, but he uses them as if (como si fuera- subjunctive and my teacher was very impressed and happy lol) the artwork were a comicbook. Comic books are made in factories, which shows that the beauty of the woman is synthetic and is not unique.
2. There are no shadows in the work. (More fluently I probably should have said "shading" but w/e lol) This makes the work flat, the beauty of the woman flat.
3. There isn't variety in the colors or even the shades (she was happy I remembered one of our vocab words) of them. The yellow background may represent the newspaper of the inspiration. The same blue is used for the swim suit and her hair. And the same red is used for the lips and the ball, perhaps signifying that her beauty es as false as the plastic of the ball.
However, I don't agree with the conclusion of the MoMa website, that she loses her sexual attractiveness, because when I saw her in the packet (she gave us a scavenger hunt packet before we got to the MoMa), I said that I had to see her. She is still very attractive to me. (in fact she's my phone background! she replaced my brother, who replaced Albert, lol.)

My second work is "Campbell's Soup Cans" by Andy Warhol.
Spoiler:
Hopefully (again, she was happy with my subjunctive hehehe), the class recognizes that these are Campbell soup cans. The fact that we all do is the reason why I picked the question "what impact does scientific and technological development have on our lives?"
We talk (i said hablamos, but idk if that can be translated to "let's talk." I probably screwed up the tense) about the genre pop art more. After I talked about Lichtenstein (i used PAST subjunctive here oh snap ******* better watch out), I had to talk about Warhol, his student, who was more famous. (I fact checked this later. I lied. They were just kind of contemporary people.) In the 20th century (i don't think I said early), art was really abstract and marginalized (i had a lot of trouble conjugating this one for whatever reason. -ía?? -aba?? I think I got it eventually though lol) daily life.
So there are two answers to the question "what impact does scientific and technological development have on our lives?", Andy Warhol and mine.
So Warhol thought that given that scientific and technological development (i.e. the soup cans) have changed our daily lives, they should be represented in art. It's not garbage. (I think I said more, but this is all I have on my prep sheet)
But in my opinion, the soup cans are a symbol for us, in this age of technology. We are very similar to the soup cans. Like we're all different soups, tomato and beans (haha I didn't know how to say beef or chicken! I forgot!), but advertisements and society treats us all the same, try to change us to be the same, even though we are different inside and have differences.

Thank you. (awkward ending haha)

hooray standing ovation and then my teacher was like excelente excelente and told me to hit the random generator and was like "sucks for the person who has to follow this"

Writing it out, I think I could have done better in terms of the content, the last bit about the symbolism of the cans is shaky and underdeveloped (lel in other words bs), but my ability and confidence in presenting, even in Spanish, my constant use of the subjunctive and overall more developed analysis of the works just stood out.

I think at this point, I am learning Spanish faster than Chinese. It's just so much closer to English in terms of vocabulary that BSing things is much easier. I think I'm also in a more encouraging environment for Spanish since I am not Hispanic, whereas with Chinese it's just like "you're a lost cause, you're a disappointment." It's a little disappointing I think.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:07 am 
Audrey Horne

caliente!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:59 pm 
revenant

weeaboo-a

Page 9 of 13 [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next