It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:29 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 13 [ 122 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Some paintings
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:34 pm 
Audrey Horne

Have thanks: 499 time
I've been at an exhibition, recently and seen some works of Chagal, Picasso, Kokoschka, Bacon irl and I'd like to share some.

None of these pictures do the irl paintings justice, fyi. Most of the pictures are enormous (meters high!) with beautiful colours. But for what it's worth, I'll share smaller, duller versions of those pictures with you:

Chagal: "Schläferin mit Blumen"
I love how Chagal paints flowers. This is so huge irl. And the colours are much more vibrant and gloomy. It's beautiful

I really enjoy Kokoschka's vibrant paintings of London. This isn't teh one from the museum, but still nice.

The following is a Picasso. The people on the boat represent him, his child and wife, the foreground is his home. Picasso felt very oppressed by his wife and didn't enjoy or need the comfort home represents for most people. That's why the geometry of the home is so "aggressive".

Freud would've loved the following Picasso. It's quite the shocker when you enter a room and this enormous ****** looks at you.

This Bacon painting is very, very intimidating irl. It's larger than life. I also think that David Lynch took a lot from Bacon when it comes to the aesthetics and atmosphere.

This reminded me of the film Melancholia and it makes me feel very similar. It's Paul Delvaux, fyi.

This last painting is very interesting, simply for the texture, alone. You'd have to see irl in order to see what I mean. It's called "Face in a landscape" and while you can see the face, you can't see the landscape, because you don't see how much paint he used on it. It's really practically a landscape on fabric. I do, however, have my problems with this painting. Karel Appel, who painted this picture, is famous for painting in pitch black darkness, letting his emotions decide what ends up on the canvas. He didn't like concept and form. It's even more extreme than Pollock, because Pollock at least saw what he painted and had some control over it, while Appel painted without concept. That's called gestic abstract expressionism, imho and I'm not sure I like that kind of random art.
The painting, however, is really impressive and expressive irl. It dominates the room. In a good way.

Do I want a house, or do I want a boat?

Post subject: Re: Some paintings
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:42 pm 
Audrey Horne

Here are some from the Max Ernst exhibition (mainly Parisian surrealism, but also dadaism, fyi) I saw a while ago.

Max Ernst won a competition against Paul Delvaux and Salvador Dahli with the first one. A movie director was looking for a depiction of The seduction of Antonius for a film called The Private Affairs of Bel Ami and Max Ernst won.
The second painting represents him and a friend practically "fighting for" the same woman.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:36 am 
supreme adder

Have thanks: 250 time
These are all nice. I'd like to see them all in person.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:37 am 
supreme adder

You'll not get many other replies here. Perhaps try posting an anime.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:37 am 
supreme adder

The London painting is really excellent.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:38 am 
supreme adder

It's one of those things where it seems that you could look at it for hours and keep seeing more stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:39 am 
hell knight

Have thanks: 246 time
I really love Salvador Dali and surrealism in general.

"The Persistence of Memory" (1931)

“Dream Caused by the Flight of a Bee around a Pomegranate a Second Before Awakening” (1944)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:59 pm 
VIP Member

Have thanks: 171 time
Bego's top picture with all the monsters actually reminded me of a part of Berserk. These are very nice paintings all the same. Far better than The Mona Lisa, which I have actually seen irl.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:36 pm 
Audrey Horne

irl, everything reminds you of Berserk!!

jozoz, I've seen too much Dali, imho. The first picture in particular is just everywhere, it kind of lost all impact on me. I'm very neutral when it comes to Dali.

What I like about Parisian surrealism and the idea of semi-automatic art: There is one technique called "Grattage" where artists would paint some item, say, a quadratic block in a certain colour, throw that block onto the canvas, let the paint dry, then scratch the paint away with a knife and lastly paint something that's inspired by the marks that are left on the canvas. It's very reminiscent of children wildly "drawing" dots on a piece of paper and them trying to connect the dots to some animal-like creature afterwards. It's a very natural technique, imho. The same is true for frottage, where you put something *under* the canvas (e.g. a leaf) and then draw something on the canvas. A typical result might be something like this
This is Max Ernst performing some frottage

Max Ernst also made paintings with the Décalcomanie technique where you splash very watery quantities of paint on a canvas, then take a piece of glass or another piece of canvas and smear the paint. Then, you'd make a painting based on these smears. Typically, you'd see forms that are very reminiscent of corals in these kinds of paintings (e.g. the seduction of antonius painting (the one with the monsters) or the following: )
He also invented the oscillation (drip paint) technique Pollock became so famous for, fyi.

So all in all, the idea in Parisian surrealism was to create something random and then let yourself be inspired by that random element, let your subconscious interprete what you could do with it and then do it. That's the general semi-automatic idea. I like that. It includes spontaneous as well as conceptual elements.

The reason why one of the Max Ernst paintings I posted earlier (the one that consists of many (51) small paintings) is so significant is that it contains every single technique he's used in his career thus far. It was his birthday present to himself, that's why it consists of 51 parts (it was his 51st birthday). It's 1.5x2.0m big irl and really, really impressive irl. You really have to see paintings irl in order to see the brilliance of them.

I think I'll start painting once I'm very old and rusty. I can see myself becoming that kind of old guy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:52 pm 
VIP Member

Have thanks: 171 time
Begogian wrote:
irl, everything reminds you of Berserk!!

I'm not sure why you think that. I mentioned that Dark Souls bears similarities to it, but that's because there are a range of clear influences from it in the game, as well as a few other games,bloke Dragon's Dogma. I probably wouldn't have even mentioned Berserk of theadder didn't mention anime anyway.

Page 1 of 13 [ 122 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next