It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:33 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Steam reviews
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:03 pm 
spectre

Have thanks: 34 time
Do you bother writing Steam reviews? I know a lot of people consider them useless, yet I still try to write something from time to time. I always make an effort to be concise (< 1 page), I think that there are way too many available reviews to read for a long one to be truly useful. Someone who wants a very detailed review will probably look elsewhere, I think Steam is mostly good to quickly gather short user impressions to confirm or deny what you expect of a game. Straight to the point reviews.

Today I wrote one for Rivals of Aether:

Quote:
At last a great platform fighter (i.e. Smash clone) on PC. I’m somewhere between beginner and intermediate, so I can’t comment on how the game is played at high level. I’ll share my experience and thoughts as a casual player.

The controls have an elegant simplicity that grants the game its appeal and low skill floor. Simply input a direction and one of the attack buttons simultaneously to perform an attack in that direction. There are three attack buttons corresponding to tilts, strong attacks and special attacks. The same controls apply universally to all characters and they all share quite similar tilts and strong attacks, so that once you learned to play with one character, you can find your bearings with any of them.

There are only 8 characters but each has a pretty unique moveset with some specific quirks, especially when it comes to special attacks. This can be both great and somehow bothering at the same time. Great because every character has a distinct playstyle and everyone is guaranteed to find at least a few tailored to them among this small but varied cast. Bothering because it steepens the learning curve for two reasons when compared to Smash. First, it slightly gets in the way of skill transfer from character to character. Secondly, matchups knowledge becomes more important.

By no means I want to give the impression that this is an actual issue and that the game is in fact hard to learn, it is still very easy to pick up, it only makes it harder to master. And yet, RoA brings some of its own simplicity to the genre. It pares down the mechanics and trims the formula to its essential components by removing grabs, edge grabbing, L-cancelling, shields (replaced with parries), … What remains at the core is a streamlined gameplay that prominently features exhilarating kickass combos.

The result is a mechanically tight game with a low skill floor, high skill ceiling, and a learning curve sloped to quickly and comfortably project players towards the more fast paced, technical and competitive side of platform fighters.

I absolutely recommend this game to anyone who prefers Melee to other Smash games. This is the closest you will get on PC. It manages to capture both the simplicity and depth that I enjoyed in Melee while still having its own flavor and charm.

Although it isn’t a party game and is definitely positioned towards the competitive end of the spectrum, I also strongly recommend it to newcomers. I mostly play casually with friends at my skill level, and even so I enjoy it much more than the few other alternatives on PC. The action is fast paced, the combos you can pull off even as a beginner are really awesome, and it’s overall extremely fun.

Let me know what you think of it!

Post subject: Re: Steam reviews
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:58 pm 
The Department of Penis Thread Corrections

Have thanks: 207 time

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:36 am 
spectre

Have thanks: 34 time
My Rocket League review: http://steamcommunity.com/id/skedar/recommended/252950

Again I tried to do a short review that focuses on only what I think makes the game stand out the most.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:12 pm 
hell knight

Have thanks: 246 time
That made me wanna play rocket league

jozoz has been thanked by:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:35 pm 
revenant

Have thanks: 82 time
Short summery of TRI: Of friendship and Madness, since I didn't want to write a review:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Campion608 ... ded/293660

Quote:
TRI is an interesting puzzle game where you form triangles on walls to solve puzzles. The twist being that you'll eventually be able to walk on walls and redirect light and lasers with them. This is where I wholeheartedly recommended only half of TRI to some of you because while reflecting the lasers with your triangles sounds like a great idea on paper, in reality it can lead to a lot of pixel perfect placement that's more tedious than fun, especially in the later levels that revolve almost exclusively around this mechanic. Still, the mechanics and level design are pushed to their absolute creative limits here which lead to a lot of fun and intriguing "Aha!" moments. TRI has a challenging difficulty curve that isn't afraid to present you with the seemingly impossible the further you play on. Also worth mentioning is the extremely appealing, simplistic artstyle and truly memorable soundtrack that accompanies this game. They really nailed TRI on the presentation side of things. A cute fox will follow you as you solve progressively harder puzzles while this light hearted chanting goes on in the background, and there's just something really enchanting and relaxing about that.

At it's best, TRI stands out strong in the puzzle genre right now. Even at it's worst, its still worth playing for any puzzler fan.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]