It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:42 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 14 of 14 [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
 Post subject: Re: Stephen "antisocialfatman" Bray, ??/??/??-25/10/11
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:03 am 
VIP Member

Have thanks: 2 time
Bego wrote:
I've seen Huskeyyyyy, lyra and genericforumguy (but only for ~30 seconds) in the IRC today. Yay!

I don't know what the fuck I'm doing :lol: Does the link provided here offer you with just a quick means of jumping in and talking with a disposable user name?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:48 am 
Audrey Horne

Have thanks: 499 time
genericforumguy wrote:
Bego wrote:
I've seen Huskeyyyyy, lyra and genericforumguy (but only for ~30 seconds) in the IRC today. Yay!

I don't know what the fuck I'm doing :lol: Does the link provided here offer you with just a quick means of jumping in and talking with a disposable user name?

Yes, you can also download mIRC and do what I told you in the IRC Amended Instructions thread and create a "proper" account. If mIRC wants you to pay 20$, just click cancel, no or later.

Do I want a house, or do I want a boat?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:04 pm 
supreme adder

Have thanks: 250 time
The link for the sake of repetition and keeping the thread current:

http://mibbit.com/?server=irc.antisocia ... nnel=%23ts

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:34 pm 
Audrey Horne

Have thanks: 499 time
Soup2504 wrote:
I signed up just to post on this thread

Au contraire!

Anyway, I've just read an article about the football club Bradford FC, which mentions Huddersfield. It immediately made me think of this thread and made me search for actual Huddersfield footage, the town where fatman used to live (in or nearby, I am not sure). I've found something rather nice:

Do I want a house, or do I want a boat?

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:54 pm 
former human

Have thanks: 3 time
Memory is a funny thing.

Today Huddersfield won the playoffs, returning to the top flight of English football for the first time in nearly 50 years. Though happy to see a tiny team succeed in its own right (a team which has lately taken almost a kind of sisterhood status for some of the fans of the team I support, Liverpool, owing to the friendship of their two managers), it struck me that I had once known someone from Huddersfield who supported them. (Not being from England or particularly gregarious this is quite a rarity to me).

My mind scanned back over 15 years to a small IRC chatroom called #ra2 on Webchat. This was a chat set up at some point in the 90s for an upcoming game called Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2. After the game had been released the channel slipped back to a core group of about 15-30 people and (from my very hazy memory) became about virtually everything else other than RA2. I remember people talking about EverQuest, Counter-Strike, and likely many other games that I've now forgotten.

The channel had people from Australia, Argentina, the States and, of course, one guy from Huddersfield! Only a few names still flickered in my memory earlier as I was thinking about this. "Kareem" and "anti-social_fatman."

I didn't even play EverQuest, but I remember people - I think chief among them, Stephen - talking about it in #ra2. I don't remember even seeing what the game looked like, yet I had this vivid, exciting picture in my head of what it was about just from reading Stephen and others gush about it. Hearing about how people "did things": collecting armour, hunting animals, battling other real people, dying (and suffering massive, time-consuming penalties for doing so), etc. that sounded like no game I had ever played.

Young me back then spent hours on this IRC channel every day after school. Mostly a lurker, the one person I can remember interacting with was fatman. Memories of any conversations we had are totally lost to time, but a clear image shines through: he was a very smart, wise presence in the chat room with a calm, often self-effacing, insight into everything from computer games to life in general. And he supported Huddersfield!

Today, on hearing the news about Huddersfield, I set off on a quick nostalgia trip: checking to see if #ra2 was still there. I figured I'd do a quick google of "kareemy" and "fatman" to see if anything turned up. And I found... all of this.

Rest in peace, Stephen. You passed away far, far too young for such a bright man. Though I barely knew you, and so much time has passed, it's telling that a little part of you still occupies a space deep in my memory all these years later. From what I read in all of these lovely tributes, you have touched many, many people with your generous wisdom and affability. Even today, nearly six years after you made the last one, I see that your YouTube channel is still attracting comments and raking-in visits (now over two million of them) from people watching along and mulling over the ideas you gave voice to.

Ric has been thanked by:

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:44 pm 
hell knight

Have thanks: 246 time
Thanks for that story. That was a nice read.

Page 14 of 14 [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14