It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:51 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 14 [ 134 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Stephen "antisocialfatman" Bray, ??/??/??-25/10/11
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:09 pm 
foreskin enthusiast

Have thanks: 75 time
Posted on YouTube by user GeneralX0:

Quote:
Hi everyone. We have just found out that fatman (Stephen) died today from a heart attack. I was a high school friend of Stephen's and used to know him pretty well. It is incredibly tragic that he has died this way, at 27. Those who were close friends of his on the internet are really shocked and numbed by his death. The IRC room that he used to go to, up until yesterday, is now located at 24.22.81.129 in the channel #ts (just download an IRC chat client). You're welcome to come in there and talk about him or anything else if you'd like to. Also of course there's the forums that he set up. Thanks to all of you who watched his youtube videos for supporting his main project and love in his last days. RIP Stephen, aka antisocialfatman.

He has been one of my biggest inspirations these past two and a half or so years that I've been following him on YouTube. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.

Post subject: Re: Stephen "antisocialfatman" Bray, ??/??/??-25/10/11
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:18 pm 
simplest of beards

Have thanks: 7 time
I feel the same way. I don't have much to say that isn't usually said at a death, I guess I just didn't know him long enough... but either way, he'll definitely be missed very much by me and people around the world.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:35 pm 
demon

Have thanks: 0 time
Some days, you just don't have enough quarters...

You will be missed, Stephen.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:45 pm 
simplest of beards

He had a sickness about a week previously and onward.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:06 am 
imp

...i just, cant believe this...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:09 am 
former human

Have thanks: 1 time
Yes it is real. I heard in a roundabout way from my brother earlier and then just called an old friend whose family knows Stephen's family, and he confirmed it. He's been ill with something and this was connected with his heart attack apparently. Stephen was an amazing guy, very funny and intelligent, and alot of people loved and respected him on the internet. I feel like a community was beginning to build around him through his reviews and this forum and so on, and I hope it isn't going to die now that he's gone...

I've got alot of good memories of Stephen. In high school he was the funniest guy around. We would walk home together every day for a few years and put each other in hysterics with quotes and stuff, and I'd often go back to his to play games, often we'd play ISS pro on the playstation, a classic old football game. He was way better at it so I would play as Brazil and him as Wales or something, and he would make hilarious jokes about Wales. Another classic anecdote is new years eve 1999. Some of you will remember that was going to be the biggest party in the world, ever. Me and Stephen rebelled in the classic nerd way by playing computer games through the night. When they started ringing the bells at midnight and fireworks went off Stephen shouted out the window at them all. Sometimes I wish I'd been part of some cool subculture in high school, but now I realise that us nerds were maybe the most rebellious of them all, we rebelled against nearly everything, most especially the mass extrovert social culture of the 90s.

We used to go on walks to West Nab which is the highest hill around here. I wish I'd done that more with him, and that he'd wanted to meet up irl recently. But he hadn't wanted to for many years. I wish I could've done something to help him out of his extreme social isolation, but I guess that didn't happen.

GeneralX has been thanked by:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:29 am 
revenant

Have thanks: 81 time
Obituary, please.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:35 am 
renidiot

I've only ever known fatman online, unless you count seeing him briefly in town once, but I've known him about twelve years. At first he was the funny, quirky one, but with time his immense kindness and loyalty and intelligence came through more and more, and he became a commanding presence. Stephen possessed a quality which it was impossible to ignore, if you knew him you probably loved and admired him, not through any facet of his behaviour but because of his whole being, he was genuine, sincere and thoroughly wonderful despite his irreverence.

A world without him is impoverished, bereaved and deeply lessened. I only wish we had a choice, and I shall miss him deeply.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:42 am 
simplest of beards

Campion wrote:
Obituary, please.

This

Post subject: Re: Stephen "antisocialfatman" Bray, ??/??/??-25/1
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:48 am 
VIP Member

Have thanks: 169 time
For all the arguing I did with him online , I had an awful lot of respect for him. Each time I argued with him I always learned something new as well. Even though Ive only known him for about a year, he made me see games in an entirely different light than I did beforehand, and I consider myself a much more educated gamer since. He will be greatly missed.

Page 1 of 14 [ 134 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next