It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:07 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 6 of 8 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Super Bunnyhop
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:29 am 
The Department of Penis Thread Corrections

Have thanks: 207 time
George Weedman.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:35 pm 
VIP Member

Have thanks: 169 time

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:25 pm 

There's a good discussion to be had there, about how the gaming habits of a critic and those of a player are so different and how that reflects their ideal criteria of a "good game", and whether or not that will devalue the critic's opinion to the consumer in some way.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:33 pm 
VIP Member

I don't see how this video is about the divide between players and critics at all. The things he complained about are hardly the things other critics complain about. The consensus of the critics tend to often reflect that of players too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:37 pm 
revenant

Have thanks: 81 time
jesus christ all games that feature stealth are basically the same now since they share the ability to distract enemies ??? oh yes, obeying the laws of nature and logic are simply too outdated of concepts in video games these days, cause they make them feel too similar. god forbid he plays the platformer genre where a large majority of them revolve around running and jumping.

the best example he has to draw attention to "trends that ruin gaming" are crafting systems that need to be introduced in almost every game now for some reason, but everything else are complaints over common conventions in gaming from someone who sounds like they're just tired with gaming period. i mean he even complains that the control schemes in what are essentially 3d games being too similar (therefore leading to monotony across games i guess?), despite them being that way by design to accommodate the player character's movement in a three dimensional world. there is nothing really all that more convenient in a game than moving your character in the direction you're holding on a joypad (or with wasd), and now this makes a lot of games "indistinguishable" from one another?

he does bring up how different games like metroid prime and MGS feel compared to each other, but again these were games made during a time when 3d was still being refined. even for mgs3 they had to RERELEASE the game to take care of the camera as it was clashing too hard with it's more open and explorable environments. receiver itself was made purely to be an experimental game with different shooting mechanics. a lot of these "annoying trends" were picked up along the line to make 3d games more tolerable and convenient to play. the timeline he gave for "gaming trends" was pretty laughable considering his examples were extremely limited to generic shooters (to explain ALL "GREAT GAMES", of course), but what's interesting is that he starts with 2D sidescrolling games. if we were to progress this timeline, what exactly would his idea of breaking the 3D mold be???

no matter what, it's just beyond retarded to call watch dogs and alien isolation one and the same

i wouldn't have a problem with the video if it had been critical of triple a games for feeling too formulaic, but he's taking the similarities to the extreme right down to how they control and the simple things you can do in game

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:46 am 
VIP Member

While some of his comparisons were a bit silly, he did make a perfectly valid point about developers banking on the one type of gameplay mechanics constantly, to the point where it becomes the default far too often, which is the bigger picture. The shooting mechanics of RE 4 have been replicated ad naseum, to the point where whole genres were effectively changed because of it, and several become harder to distinguish as a result. The innovation RE 4 showed at the time was remarkable. It took the mechanics of previous RE games, trimmed out the fat and honed them into a well oiled machine. Yet pretty much any game that borrowed *its* mechanics since, don't go anywhere with it, with the possible exception of Dead Space. The OTS shooting mechanics just become a generic default in most of them. The fact that The Evil Witnin is almost identical to RE 4, but far less refined, speaks volumes.

The comparison he made between the guns was rather interesting. Receiver was mostly just a test product, but why haven't any other developers taken notes from it, and implemented its mechanics into their own games? Because it's far to easy to bank on the same generic formula. That's why. Metroid Prime is only one of a very small handful of 3 D Metroidvania games that exist, and easily the best of its kind. But that need not be the case. There are certainly improvements that could be made to the formula and plenty of new directions developers could go with it. But they just couldn't be fucked.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:03 am 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:02 am 
VIP Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:39 am 
Audrey Horne

Have thanks: 492 time
Why would you watch such a spoilertastic video gilgamesh?

Do I want a house, or do I want a boat?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:51 am 
VIP Member

Because I couldn't be arsed waiting until I finish the game to watch it. It was only the revelation about the aliens that I found to be a spoiler anyway. I think I'm near enough to the end of the game. I don't really understand a lot of what's going on either. It's very hard to piece everything together. You'd probably need to play the game multiple times to get it all. I don't mind someone explaining a few things about it. I also found the video quite interesting. It makes me want to experience some of Lovecraft's books.

Page 6 of 8 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next