It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:09 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 4 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tasteful Understated Nerdrage
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:53 pm 
Audrey Horne

Have thanks: 492 time
A) It's possible that someone personally prefers TW3 to Bloodborne.

B) It''s possible that someone hasn't even played Undertale.

Tbh, I didn't care much about these last 2 videos. They were alright, I guess, but not really that interesting, to me. It's the developer's choice what to put in a game and they're not swinging swastikas in their games, so why even bother with that sort of topic. I also dislike how he starts a paragraph at 6:38, ends the first sentence with ", so let's talk about *that*" and then he never actually talks about it. It's not well written, imho.
I played as females or brothers in games before, it didn't make a difference. I do want to play as a sneaky fat black character in F:New Vegas this year, simply because I think I've never played as a fat black character. So there are games that offer that diversity. There are others that don't. So fucking what. Don't play AAA gaming products if you want to play a piece of art.
All that being said, I actually do prefer male characters in games with a lot of dialogue because I like male voices better. They're easier to listen to for hours and hours, imo. I feel like saying that is already not tolerated these days, which is a bit ridiculous. I don't care that it's not being tolerated, it's a fair point imo, but it's really weird, to me. Anyway, really tired of that topic.

I guess I could go without a middle aged cool white guys with a designer stubble as gaming protagonists for the next couple of years, but I really can't be passionately annoyed by that trend. It's like complaining about actors in big movies being exclusively attractive. Just don't watch Fast and Furious 27, then. There's lots of ugly actors acting, it's not even hard to find.

I also don't think that equity = absolute mathematical equality.

Do I want a house, or do I want a boat?
Begogian has been thanked by:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:30 pm 
VIP Member

Have thanks: 169 time
I just felt like venting there, as I'm really tired of all the praise and endless GoTYs The Witcher 3 receives. Untertale is a game that actually has good diversity. The main character is gender neutral, there are gay and lesbian characters in it, and "strong female" characters. None of this is there, because of pandering. It's just what Toby Fox wanted to do, and it's not a major element of the game, or something that really needs drawing attention to.

I never really thought about whether male or female voices are better. I just felt there was roughly equal amounts of good and bad with both. Truth be told, I'd like to see more older female characters in games. Hardly any of them are over 30, where as most male characters are in their mid to late thirties, or much older. But it doesn't matter what I think, and the quality of the character is what's most important. That's even taking into account, that we're talking about games where characters actually matter at all. In a lot of cases, we might as well be playing as a loaf of bread.

Some of the comments in that video are fucking absurd. The responses to Ninouh in particular, who made a good point. I'm tempted to get entangled, but I think I'll refrain from going there.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:00 pm 
The Department of Penis Thread Corrections

Have thanks: 207 time
Giglamesh, it's worth noting that he's not talking about "diversity" as in "filling games with blacks and fags", but instead "diversity" as in "major releases informed by cultures that aren't American/Western European". The first two minutes of the video did a trash job at setting this up, though.

Also Ale Rusty started a mostly not-**** discussion about this imo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:36 am 
VIP Member

I know he didn't bring up "fags". But a lot of people do when complaining about that sort of thing, and I just figured I'd point out a game that has good diversity in general. He did throw an off handed remark in, about the lack of blacks and the cleavage being a bad thing in The Witcher 3, though. The game actually sort of explained the lack of blacks at one point. Regarding the cleavage, most female characters in the game use sexuality as a tool, so it's not that unbefitting. I like how Roche actually chastises one of the female characters for not covering herself up properly too. That guy was awesome. So while there's a lot I don't like in that game, going after this sort of stuff, pisses me off about as much as the praise the game gets.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:44 am 
Audrey Horne

Gilgamesh wrote:
I just felt like venting there, as I'm really tired of all the praise and endless GoTYs The Witcher 3 receives. Untertale is a game that actually has good diversity. The main character is gender neutral, there are gay and lesbian characters in it, and "strong female" characters. None of this is there, because of pandering. It's just what Toby Fox wanted to do, and it's not a major element of the game, or something that really needs drawing attention to.

I never really thought about whether male or female voices are better. I just felt there was roughly equal amounts of good and bad with both. Truth be told, I'd like to see more older female characters in games. Hardly any of them are over 30, where as most male characters are in their mid to late thirties, or much older. But it doesn't matter what I think, and the quality of the character is what's most important. That's even taking into account, that we're talking about games where characters actually matter at all. In a lot of cases, we might as well be playing as a loaf of bread.

Some of the comments in that video are fucking absurd. The responses to Ninouh in particular, who made a good point. I'm tempted to get entangled, but I think I'll refrain from going there.

Yeah, I agree that Undertale manages to be politically correct without ever really pushing for it. It just comes naturally, which really speaks for the writing. I heard enough praise about TW3 to believe it's a good game, but it's an underwhelming GOTY pick next to something like Undertale, I guess.

I very much agree on old female characters. Usually, you only get to see old witches and oracles in games (e.g. Dark Souls 2), hardly any actual old female characters. That's really missing. But that's not only true for games, but also films. There are hardly any good leading roles for women >50 in (Hollywood!) film. Meryl Streep gets all the roles she wants, the remaining roles are being played by Anette Benning, Emma Thompson and Cate Blanchett. That's it. And usually, they're supporting roles. I do feel bad for these older female actresses just like I feel bad for any person who's learned a craft and can't find any work once he/she hits a certain age. I like old female voices, also, so that would dodge my annoyance with higher pitched voices. And yes, ultimately the quality of the character is what's important.
I'm really interested in Jennifer Jason Leigh's character in H8ful 8. Tarantino writes refreshing female leads, imo.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:25 pm 
baron of hell

Have thanks: 266 time
Get real peeps, an 8bit style game isnt gonna get any goty awards in this day and age.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:39 pm 
revenant

Have thanks: 81 time
lyra wrote:
Get real peeps, an 8bit style game isnt gonna get any goty awards in this day and age.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/01/13/undertale-review

Campion has been thanked by:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:12 pm 
VIP Member

I don't believe what I'm seeing there. I thought that was actually photoshoped or something for a minute.

Begogian wrote:
I very much agree on old female characters. Usually, you only get to see old witches and oracles in games (e.g. Dark Souls 2), hardly any actual old female characters. That's really missing. But that's not only true for games, but also films. There are hardly any good leading roles for women >50 in (Hollywood!) film. Meryl Streep gets all the roles she wants, the remaining roles are being played by Anette Benning, Emma Thompson and Cate Blanchett. That's it. And usually, they're supporting roles. I do feel bad for these older female actresses just like I feel bad for any person who's learned a craft and can't find any work once he/she hits a certain age. I like old female voices, also, so that would dodge my annoyance with higher pitched voices. And yes, ultimately the quality of the character is what's important.
I'm really interested in Jennifer Jason Leigh's character in H8ful 8. Tarantino writes refreshing female leads, imo.

I didn't even mean old, as in over 50. It's true that that's the case with film as well. With games, you rarely see any over 30. It does matter less in gaming, because it's not like older people are put out of work, when it comes to voice acting. It's just something regarding the characters themselves. It was when I played Invisibles Inc. where I mostly reflected on it. One of the main female characters is 68 in that, and several of the others are between 30 and 40, and around the same ages as the male characters. I didn't realize there was any standout female character in Hateful Eight. I also just now realised Ennio Morricone done the score. That makes me really want to see it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:22 pm 
Audrey Horne

lyra wrote:

I agree with the sentiment, but Undertale did get GOTY nominations and awards, imo!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:25 pm 
baron of hell

Have thanks: 266 time
Glad to hear, it was def MY GOTY. I should get back to my genocide run but its so disheartening XD

Page 3 of 4 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next