It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:21 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 17 of 19 [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tefelomes
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:36 pm 
hell knight

Have thanks: 133 time
I'm not saying you shouldn't complain about it. I'm saying it's not an activist thing. No petitions, no one is being "bullied into changing their setup", there's no ethical argument here as desperately as people are trying to make one.

The USB ports are different. I can't remember the last time I used a USB port for anything besides a mouse to play games or installation media for a lunix. Most people, at least around me, haven't plugged a USB drive in in the past year and the basic Macbook is a device for that "most people". The only person I know who hasn't used a 3.5mm headphone jack in the past week is probably my mother. Getting rid of the USB ports is a move I couldn't care less about. Getting rid of the 3.5mm headphone jack, unless they provide damn good wireless headphones built in, would be a dumb fucking move that gets me to not buy. I wouldn't feel strongarmed or make a petition.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:07 pm 
Audrey Horne

Have thanks: 492 time
I do think it's a snobbish and **** move when you choose to remove usb ports, sell additional adapter gear for 90$ for more usb ports, because you *know* people rely on usb devices at their workplace. Apple is really desperately trying to sell their devices to engineering offices (like the ones many of my relatives are working in), but their philosophy is so anti-customer for so many people at their workplace that it's irl laughable. Removing USB ports doesn't improve bluetooth tech, it simply makes a device less practical. Pushing for something people are not yet ready for in terms of personal hardware infrastructure is everything but cleverly innovative, imo. Removing the headphone jack would be the same thing in philosophy and while I'm all for innovation and I liked the spirit of Apple in the past, it's grown to represent a ridiculously childish interpretation of innovation these days.

I believe you in saying you haven't needed usb ports in a year. I can see that. However, I talked to tons of people (people in my irl circle of friends who are passionate Apple beliebers, even) that are really disappointed in this change because they are in need of USB ports for devices like mice, printers, external harddrives, USB sticks, kindles and iPhones on a very, very regular basis and they are not willing to pay 90 Merkels for an USB adapter that really should be free. I for one need my USB drive for my mouse, keyboard (not necessary in a macbook, of course) (both daily), usb sticks (not daily), external harddrive (daily), 360 controller (close to daily), kindle recharge (monthly) and printer (a couple of times a week). This would be AOK if the additional USB ports would come for free with the macbook, but as it is, it's a bit offensive to quite a few people. Now, *cough lyra *cough*, you can call my circle of friends weirdos, or something, I guess, or call me a liar because I'm making this up or something, but even if you disregard my example entirely, it is a very, very believable scenario. anyway, laifu, going back to the engineering office thing: A friend's dad recently tried to get some sort of special deal from apple for his entire workstaff and was baffled to see macbooks that are less practical in his office than previous models. Being an architect, he runs a complex business with all sorts of devices that he uses (e.g. for sketching and printing) on a daily basis. He is not happy with the new macbook and hated to buy the extra adapter thingies. Now, I'm not completely up-to-date on this, they might come for free now (HIGHLY doubtful, saying this JUST IN CASE). So yeah, it's quite consumer-hostile, if you ask me. Wouldn't you agree that the additional USB gear should come with the device? Wouldn't that be customer-friendly without overly "communistic"?

Just imagine people who are actually dependant on USB ports the same way you dependent on the headphone jack. It's quite real. But yeah, people who run Apple these days are huuuge capitalists/consumerists. I find the company as a whole highly alienating and snobbish. "Get bluetooth devices", they say. Rofl. Completely out of touch with the reality of millions of people. What an admirable company.

Do I want a house, or do I want a boat?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:48 pm 
hell knight

Well, while I agree that the new Macbook is not ideal for workplaces and whatnot, I have to say that Apple itself provides a fairly easy solution. The Macbook Pro starts at the same price, and has everything that was taken away, and even has a name that implies its role. I think a fundamental principle that guides the way they do things is to provide the right device for the right role (assuming you have the money for it), and there's a large market segment who don't need those USB ports, but need something with a nice screen, keyboard, and trackpad, all in as portable a package as possible. Everything comes at an opportunity cost, including a USB port, so it's sensible imo to create multiple devices for different users. The stripped down Macbook is a device for people who want to write or browse facebook to whip out on airplane tray tables or coffee shops. For people who need to do things with USB and thunderbolt, there's a Macbook Pro. And there's even still the Macbook Air line being sold and updated with new processors (though imo not for long).

Also I think 3D touch is the biggest innovation in the mobile phone industry in a very long time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:07 am 
Audrey Horne

So I went to the Apple website to factcheck that and I couldn't navigate that fucking website, so I'd like to say I might've missed something. I did find most of what I was looking for, though: Anyway, that starting price thing is reeally stretching it, because if I want the macbook pro with the retina display (which I get with the regular macbook), I have to pay 1650 Merkels for a device that has the same amount of space on my harddrive (which is the reason why that friend of mine's father didn't buy the pro iirc imho, harddrives are needed at workplaces) compared to the cheapest macbook model. But yeah, I could go for the same price, namely 1450 Merkels, if I get the macbook pro with 128GB of harddrive space (not a lot) (and at work, you want to have space on your harddrive, the cloud is a less manageable way to store data, hence more risky; internet connectivity isn't ready for apple-device-levels of dependency on the internet, imho). But yes, you presented a solid argument and I do wonder why that friend of mine's father didn't go for the pro. It was probably the harddrive space if you ask me and iirc, but I can't be sure. He was probably being a bit cheap, went for the cheaper device with 256GB of harddrive space and didn't realize the devices had close to 0 ports and jacks for anything he uses. Still doesn't speak for the macbook portfolio, imho, but wth.

I still think, looking at that regular macbook model, that the thin macbook that's being sold to a (presumably?!) young audience primarily should include a fucking HDMI input and a free USB adapter (I still don't understand why that can't be a free addition to the macbook, it's clearly the downside that comes with thinner and lighter devices), but wth. Maybe only people in Germany like to plug in their macbooks into their TVs. No offense, but I don't get the 2016 wuss that can't hold/carry/whatever a device that's heavier than 1kg (my notebook weighs 2,4kg and I get by just fine) and why that sort of convenience is more important (and worth) than practicability and flexibility, but wth. The essential thing in the year 2016 is that we're comfortable, I guess. What a generation of man. It's a fucking weird device and seems less practical to me in so many ways, so I can't help but laugh at it. It misses my needs and daily life entirely. It seems a bit overpriced, also, given its limits, but that's a given with Apple, so why even start.

Anyway, you gave me a bit of perspective. I still dislike the changes a lot and I do think that the cheapest macbook pro isn't that great of an alternative with a harddrive of 128GB of space, but I guess it is *an* alternative people can consider. I thank you for not spouting the words of the Apple bible manically, this is the best response I got here, so far, imho.
3D touch might be the biggest innovation, but that's hardly a big compliment. Also, while it might the biggest in years, it's still a fairly trivial "innovation". Everything since the invention of the first iPhone was fairly trivial. I know, not every innovation can be as groundbreaking and vast as the invention of a new device like the iPhone, but i meh'd at everything that came after, iirc. It got faster and thinner every year. Meh. I'm not buying a new device every other year just because the new one is faster and thinner, if it practically does the same. I don't think the speed differences/innovations nowadays make much of a difference, but I'm generally not a speed snob when it comes to tech (i can play games at 24 FPS imho), so whatever. That's probably just me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:58 am 
Audrey Horne

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... ?CMP=fb_gu

http://fortune.com/2012/01/18/the-secrets-apple-keeps/

“The best engineers want to work on the bleeding edge of technology,” “Apple’s last release [the Apple Watch] was not a giant hit. And everyone’s already got an iPhone. There’s just diminishing returns making it another degree of a crisper screen or a higher megapixel camera. It’s just a replacement game.”“Apple’s not an engineering culture,”

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:55 am 
hell knight

Apple is indeed not an engineering culture, but it doesn't stop them from being at engineering. Direction and leadership matters.

Nonetheless, I'd tend to agree, but I don't think it's a bad thing. As somebody who lives essentially in Silicon Valley, attends a Google/Apple feeder school, and studied physics/computer science for two years I've become rather disillusioned with the engineers. A lot of the engineering culture types who go for and create exciting startups are pretentious asshats, and a lot of the more hippie-dippie free love and pool table firms they described haven't a hope of real monetization. I'd expect these libertarian technocrats to not understand why a business runs the way it does.

I think the exciting technological work is to be done in research labs, where funding systems are structured to encourage the experimental. Starting a business on an exciting speculative idea is a way to usually lose money and occasionally get rich.

laifuthegreat has been thanked by:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:12 am 
Audrey Horne

Yeah I don't sympathize much with the startup hippies that tend to leave big companies and **** all over them in order to promote their own startup, I don't agree with everything in these articles (or believe everything blindly for that matter), but this particular bit sort of struck a chord because it goes along with my general assessment of Apple today. I have no sympathies for wealthy companies that treat their employees badly, also. That's not exclusive to Apple, naturally, Musk is famous for being a huge ******* as well. I don't care enough for their products to say that the end justifies the means. *IF* the various reports and articles about WHAT IT'S ACTUALLY LIKE TO WORK FOR APPLE/TESLA are actually true, which is a big "if" from my perspective. I have no real insight. Neither does anyone who doesn't work for them, it seems. But my anticapitalist blood boils a bit when I hear about it, I can't help it. I am active in a completely different field of research, but I still feel that from a general researching perspective, Apple looks a bit dull and trivial, these days. I wouldn't be hyped to work on a new iPhone. I don't know the secret projects, though, naturally. There's surely some interesting research being done, but it doesn't seem like they're leading to any substantially innovative products, which would frustrate me. Research for the sake of research is fine to a degree, but at some point, it'll feel a bit empty, imho. So from where I'm standing, much of this does sound like a believable scenario. I can relate to people who feel like Apple is becoming less exciting from an engineer's perspective. I can't confirm it, though and I'm naturally a bit biased because of my general unfazed stance towards Apple's products.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:39 pm 
hell knight

If that gets your blood boiling, well then you should read this. It's fucking disgusting, and what's laughable about Jeff Bezo's confidence in his "big ideas" is that the turnover is such a ridiculously unnecessary cost and Amazon has yet to produce a single innovative product. They tried to move into the smartphone space, the tablet space, made the incomprehensible amazon echo, all absolute flops with painfully shitty user interface. He's a pretentious **** who just happened to jump on the e-commerce bandwagon at the right time and lucked his way into making it big, then thought himself a visionary when his only product is an idea everyone had.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:20 am 
Audrey Horne

ahah yeah amazon is famously awful. I love my kindle, but I sort of hate myself for using amazon in any way, shape or form. I was very saddened to hear bad reports about working conditions at Tesla, too.

unrelated: oh look, it's apple being apple again, fucking with people's ability to fix the **** they already payed for and make a living with fixing **** for people: http://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/f ... rty-repair?

The problem is related to the smartphone’s home button, which contains a Touch ID thumbprint reader that can be used to unlock the device rather than inputting a four-digit security code.

If the phone is damaged and a non-Apple repairer replaces the button, a subsequent update of the operating system detects a non-standard component and shuts down the device. There is no known way of bringing it back to life.

:lol:

Attachment:
sad.png
sad.png [ 32.92 KiB | Viewed 1525 times ]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:42 pm 
Audrey Horne

WhatsApp is going to stop supporting the 3GS in 2017 (it's becoming quite slow now anyway), so it's time to get a new smartphone. Anything Apple is probably out of the question because I want to free myself from iTunes forever (I'll probably use iTunes 8.1 for storage and that's it), unless something drastic happens. I also don't like being their customer for various reasons, primarily their strategical decisions.
So yeah, my budget is 300 Merkels max, I'd rather go below 200, though. Any recommendations? Is there a new, cheap smartphone to rule all cheap smartphones being released soonish?

Page 17 of 19 [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next