It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:32 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 9 of 11 [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Wolf Among Us
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:06 pm 
VIP Member

Have thanks: 171 time
lyra wrote:
Yes, for what they are, I still hate the mechanic, they add nothing of value at all, it could have been just long videos like in metal gear and it would have been exactly the same.

Spoiler:
although the giant wolf wasn't hinted at, there's a space available for it in the book of fables since episode 1, so I doubt it was a last minute thing, they just wanted to surprise us. I kind of imagined the big bad wolf to be an actual wolf not a werewolf so it makes sense in the context of the game that he's a wolf, but has a few in between transformation. It doesn't make sense that his real form is a werewolf though, it just doesn't fit the big bad wolf story, and I noticed this straight away as soon as I saw it, I just thought it was a lame artistic choice, not an in between transformation

At least they seem fair. Rarely do you fail them because they're cheap, like in some other games. They don't add much to the game though, no.

Spoiler:
I virtually never even looked at that book, but I still think it's a DEM, even if it was planned from earlier. I think the whole transformation aspect is explained more in the comics and the game may require us to have a prior knowledge of them. It's not something I'm fond of with adaptions but it is only a small issue overall. The writing is still a million miles better than anything by David Cage.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:19 pm 
baron of hell

Have thanks: 266 time
It's explained in the book of fables!! As well as plenty of other stuff. IMO check it out !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:22 pm 
baron of hell

I feel for you bego!!
I'm proud of our use of spoiler tags, good job guys!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:35 pm 
VIP Member

lyra wrote:
It's explained in the book of fables!! As well as plenty of other stuff. IMO check it out !

I'm not a fan of that kind of handling of exposition, but I'll check it out.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:36 pm 
VIP Member

I hate starting a post with a spoiler tag, so I tried my best to start the posts with non spoilers in tags further down.I think I did a successful job with them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:41 pm 
baron of hell

I'm not a fan either but it's probably due to it being a comic adaptation, to establish background canon easily.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:53 pm 
hell knight

Have thanks: 246 time
Apparently the comics take place many years after the events of the game, so there is plenty of time for sequels in the chronology of this universe.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:09 pm 
VIP Member

I'm actually interested in them. The story is probably more suited to them than it is a game with minimal gameplay and where choices matter little.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:16 pm 
cacodemon

Have thanks: 11 time
Gilgamesh wrote:
I'm actually interested in them. The story is probably more suited to them than it is a game with minimal gameplay and where choices matter little.

You should definitely check the series out Gilgamesh. You don't even have to torrent the digital issues, a number of them can actually be read online in some places.

Though I guess you probably knew that already...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:51 pm 
Audrey Horne

Have thanks: 499 time
Spoiler:
I agree that Faith was Narissa. Faith survived.

I don't know agree with lyra's explanation, though. If the ribbon was fake all along, she could've let you remove it at the end, couldn't she? She is talking the same way, she made the same movement when she told him that he's not that bad after all, we never got the forensics about Faith, etc., that's the evidence, imo, not really the fact that she wouldn't let you take off the ribbon. I mean, even glamoured, she'd still be under its spell, so you'd kill her if you removed it (or at the very least the game doesn't tell you that the ribbon spell doesn't work when glamoured). The ribbon thing doesn't prove anything.

edit: Unless you think you can't take off anything of a glamoured person without ruining the disguise. I don't think they explained that mechanism, though.

It's not a Deus Ex Machina. You didn't know that girl could turn into 100 people, either. It wasn't like you knew beforehand that he wouldn't be able to deal with her in a 1vs1 fight, so it's not Deus Ex Machina. The Huff and Puff attack had to come, it's what the wolf is famous for. That thing is what actually made the difference and you knew it would come beforehand, it's part of the universe. The fight was cool, also.

I actually don't think these QTEs are bad, irl. They simulate the urge of some situations and if you **** up, you **** up, there's no turning back. That's great and I would call that gameplay. It's even good gameplay in some respect because it represents the pacing of the scenes and gets you involved. It's not really challenging and very forgiving, though, I would like that to change. I really, really like the pacing of the game, it's quite unique and the lack of "actual gameplay" (puzzles etc.) would change that completely. I'll rather have it this way, irl. There are enough puzzle games, this game needs exactly this pacing imo. However, I would like the QTEs to become more intuitive. I don't want the game showing me the buttons I need to press, there should be more natural environmental signs, imho.

Pumped for S2, loved it.

Do I want a house, or do I want a boat?

Page 9 of 11 [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next