It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:06 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Valve
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:54 am 
Audrey Horne

Have thanks: 499 time
Ahah I think you're reading too much into this. It has little to do with my future profession. I guess I don't want games to simulate hurting people (I'd never play a torture game, for example) and I don't think shooters do. It's very bizarre and not "real" at all. I also don't find myself playing shooters when I'm really mad at someone. Sure, I like death animations and good gun sounds as much as the next guy, but I also find the sound of someone biting into an apple (or the sound of a pumpkin being smashed against a wall, which is the soundbite for melee attacks in some games imho) to be very satisfying. I don't really associate anything in a shooter with shooting someone irl.

VR might be different. I just don't like (feeling like I'm) hurting people irl. That's where I draw the line.

Tenma is definitely melodramatic with his EVERY LIFE IS SO IMMENSELY IMPORTANT monologues. I really dislike these monologues, actually. Oh and btw, every doctor who talks about Hypokrates and the OATH HE SWORE is a self-important, melodramatic simpleton. It's never about the profession for these guys, but about how great of a guy he/she is. It's very annoying, imho and it further strengthens the barrier between doctors and patients which can be very damaging for the therapy and patient outcome. I really dislike how some people react to me saying I study medicine. Some are almost submissive when I tell them. That sort of barrier doesn't help the relationship with patients at all. And neither does acting like we doctors obey better or special morals. You learn your job, you do it, you keep at it, you're friendly, honest, empathic and try to help the people you can help. A really good waitress in a Viennese tavern does all of these things as well. Just be a good person and transfer that to your job and that's it. Of course there are some specific dilemmas that only happen in hospitals, but your reactions to these cases are not defined by an oath you swore, but by the person you are.

Also yes to everything theadder said

I'm dangerous

Do I want a house, or do I want a boat?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:59 pm 
supreme adder

Have thanks: 250 time
Yep.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:55 pm 
VIP Member

Have thanks: 171 time
Have you ever played paintball? If so, what's your stance on it?

Post subject: Re: Valve + VR
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:56 pm 
Audrey Horne

I have. My stance on it is that I'm shooting balls full of paint at people and it's great fun. I also like waterpistols.

Don't get me wrong, I do hurt people when playing sports sometimes (not permanently, obviously). I like playing tough, competitive street basketball, but hurting is not the goal, it's not inherently necessary to be successful. Throwing the ball into the basket is. I don't throw elbows deliberately nor does the game encourage me to do that.

Btw, carmouflaged clothes or anything that resembles the military is not allowed when playing paintball around here. It's a funsport, not a simulation. That's quite important to the people running the sport.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:00 pm 
baron of hell

Have thanks: 266 time
Faggery ! Here they give you full camo gear and have you doing tactical team scenarios on the mountains.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:00 am 
hell knight

Have thanks: 133 time
My friend is on ROTC and was taken out for training with paintball guns for a weekend. They set up an ambush scenario or something where he was the enemy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:32 am 
Audrey Horne

lyra wrote:
Faggery ! Here they give you full camo gear and have you doing tactical team scenarios on the mountains.

Of course you can do tactical team scenarios, that's the *sport*. I don't know a rule against mountains, either. It's very much a team sport and people do use tactics that are probably similar in irl military. You can't, however, wear camo gear, medals or have any sort of historical/political theme for the battle. That's v good because it keeps the crazies away. Sports shouldn't be political.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:45 pm 
baron of hell

Its not about being political imo but about not being seen amongst the shrubbery etc, stealth can be a big element and is rewarded imo. I think we have a case of german guilt here, I hope youve apologised today :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:48 pm 
baron of hell

I agree that sports shouldnt be political, but I dont see how unspecific camouflage colours would be :s

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:51 pm 
baron of hell

This is where I learned all my stealth tactics

Page 2 of 3 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next