It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:29 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Valve + VR
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:37 pm 
Audrey Horne

Have thanks: 492 time

Do I want a house, or do I want a boat?

Post subject: Re: Valve
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:58 pm 
Audrey Horne

These room sensors might come in handy, imo. Like I previously said: I don't think I have enough room to make it werk (nor do I want to walk irl lol), *but* it could solve most of the motion sickness problems because there practically is no (or less) discrepancy between what's on the screen and what your body is experiencing. Imagine playing a FPS with VR and there is an enemy right behind you. Now usually, you'd look around by moving your mouse to turn 180°. You can't turn your head 180°, though. The obvious solution would be to implement a button that makes you turn 180° (similar to console shooters). The problem: your head is not actually turning, there is an information discrepancy for your brain (you turn without turning your head and/or body) which could (imo will definitely) cause motion sickness. Now, with the room sensors, you can actually turn your entire body around and the game would recognize this. Naturally, that forces you to play these games while standing, but I think this is what it'll take for VR to work properly in fast paced first person games. *OR* there won't be any of those games for VR systems. So the VR experience won't be as laid back as sitting on a couch, but it'd change the entire experience. It's not something for every day, but still entertainment I wouldn't want to miss. I know some people will say that playing a game while standing in the middle of the room with a VR device and controllers looks completely retarded, but people will get used to it, imo. My parents used to say that people look like degenerates when playing video games and now it's okay.

All that being said, I'm not sure about my HL3 theories. I don't think you can make a first person game as elaborate as the Half Lifes that work with VR as well as without it. Valve will not want to make HL3 exclusive for the VIVE, given their tendency to force their games to be accessible to everyone (they make radical gameplay changes just because a couple of playtesters get lost for a minute). Games like Elite Dangerous work with and without VR because all you do is sit in a cockpit, but HL3 would be a completely different animal. I'm pretty sure they'll *try* to make HL3 VR-suitable, but they'll probably realize that the changes in level design and gameplay won't translate well to the traditional monitor setup and the Half Life franchise. I am not sure if Portal is possible, people will throw up playing Portal in VR. It's too much. Games for VR will have to be radically different, imho, so now I expect a new Valve franchise for VR if they're interested enough to still make games.

Begogian has been thanked by:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:11 pm 
Audrey Horne

Steam machines tho

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:56 pm 
spectre

Have thanks: 32 time
Yeah I agree that if VR becomes big, games will change to adapt for the VR, and no the other way around.

I don't see myself using VR much. But it's mostly because I'm not usually looking for immersive cinematic experiences, I like to relax and talk about unrelated stuff when I play games. I don't think my habbits will change, it's a thing I do to relax, and I standing in the room with a headset is the opposite of a relaxing experience.

I feel the opposite for movies, I love immersing movies, I even happen to like well done 3D, good sound quality, and so on. I always turn off the lights and make sure I won't be disturbed (turn my phone off), when I'm about to watch a movie. I can't stand people who talk while watching movies also. I guess people who are looking forward to VR experience their games like I experience movies.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:48 pm 
Audrey Horne

Generally, I'm not sure if shooters are really something I'd enjoy playing in VR. It's a completely different thing to shoot someone who's practically standing right in front of you, even when he/she is not real. I'm not sure I'll find that enjoyable, but it remains to be seen.

Primarily, VR would be awesome for educative purposes. Photorealism is pretty much already possible if the developers make the world less interactive and dynamic (Ethan Carter), so I could totally see someone build ancient Rome with the help of some graphics engine in a couple of years, making it possible to roam around the environment, interacting with certain things/buildings in order to hear commentary (similar to developer commentary in HL2, for example).

The technology offers lots of possibilities, first person shooters are not really scratching the surface of what's possible, as much as I'm excitable about HALF LIFE 3 (but also cautious, because I really don't know how "kiling" feels in VR).

It would be fucking awesome if the awkward killing in VR would lead to completely new standards in gameplay theory. Almost every single game out there has some sort of combat/kill system, VR is a great opportunity to break that cycle.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:26 pm 
foreskin enthusiast

Have thanks: 75 time
The only way violence with VR would be acceptable is if it was violence against children.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:02 am 
VIP Member

Have thanks: 169 time
Begogian wrote:
Generally, I'm not sure if shooters are really something I'd enjoy playing in VR. It's a completely different thing to shoot someone who's practically standing right in front of you, even when he/she is not real. I'm not sure I'll find that enjoyable, but it remains to be seen.

Is it the nature of all people who study medicine to be as pacifistic as you are? You must find Dr Tenma to be very relatable.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:37 am 
hell knight

Have thanks: 133 time
They swear an oath and their livelihood is predicated on preventing and treating injury, so I'd imagine inflicting them goes against instinct.

On the other hand, the constant exposure to guts and gore and pain I'd imagine can become desensitizing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:16 am 
supreme adder

Have thanks: 249 time
He's a crypto-Nazi.

theadder has been thanked by:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:16 am 
supreme adder

Have thanks: 249 time
Get him going and the 'crypto' soon falls away!!

theadder has been thanked by:

Page 1 of 3 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next