It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 6:58 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 9 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: VR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:12 am 
supreme adder

Have thanks: 249 time
Yep.

Post subject: Re: VR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:40 am 
spectre

Have thanks: 34 time
Either they're right but probably for the wrong reasons, or either they're wrong. And I'm right.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:58 am 
supreme adder

Have thanks: 249 time
Are you deeply committed to VR?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:02 pm 
baron of hell

Have thanks: 266 time
Lol didn't read!!

But VR is a stupid idea.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:15 pm 
Audrey Horne

Have thanks: 498 time
I agree with the fact that the timing might not be right (in terms of the technology not being there yet (which explains the lack of big system sellers), it's too big, the average PC hardware in homes is just not good enough atm to make faster VR devices marketable, etc.). It's a great idea, though and I'd love to see it succeed eventually. It might be ruined by the fact that the manufacturers seem to rush the release. Maybe they can't afford to wait any longer, I don't know, but this is a concept that would definitely succeed if it was actually finished. I hope there will be educational stuff so I will be able to do stuff with my kids in VR (interactive travel through the human body, visit ancient Rome, etc.).

Of course, VR would and will have to define its own genres. FPS probably won't be possible due to how we perceive things. You might have to kill your vestibuloocular reflex to make it werk in really fast settings which would include cutting parts of your brain out.
The closing point about VR only having a chance of being successful by not limiting the experience in other respects is complete nonsense, though. Nothing in entertainment has to do everything. Every single game genre is a limited, focused experience, VR will define its own. The 3D film analogy was completely useless as well. This is completely different. Not everything 3Dish is comparable.

Facebook will not make VR for games only, the article talks purely about VR as a gaming thing, which is a mistake. There's great potential for both communication and education. We'll see what else is in store in the next couple of years. The interactive part might be trimmed down substantially in the future and it could still be an interesting device for unique experiences.

It's also quite an impressive piece of tech. I've read some very interesting medical studies on this. There's lots and lots of research behind this. Blood sweat and tears

Spoiler:

I would hate to see it fail, irl (and I'm saying this long after I lost my HL3 boner for good when I realized that it's physiologically quite impossible to make HL3 in VR). This could be really special and I don't get why people are sometimes so passionately against it. I really really don't understand why "you look stupid wearing it" is even an argument. How is that relevant? I would really like to read a good article/see a good discussion on this matter (especially since it kind of ties in with my future profession in a way, it's very interesting in that respect), but people keep coming with these stupid "duh, it looks stupid" things. This was a disappointing read. It seems like it's been written by some guy who tried it at E3, didn't like it because his eyes hurt, a guy who's not really interested in the upcoming releases and didn't put any additional effort (e.g. research) or thought into this.

Do I want a house, or do I want a boat?
Begogian has been thanked by:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:24 pm 
spectre

Have thanks: 34 time
theadder wrote:
Are you deeply committed to VR?

I'm not interested by VR. It's just that I like to relax when playing games, sit back in my comfy chair, talk with my wife while I play, and so on. VR just seem a bit more isolating from the room where the playing happens, it's the point actually. I'd probably enjoy it for the few times when I play a very immersive story driven game, but that almost never happens. I'd still like VR to become successful, and I think it will be. I absolutely don't see it failing, at worst I expect it to be popular among a smaller passionate group of hobbyists, kind of like RC vehicles or something like that.

I mostly agree with Begogi.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:49 pm 
hell knight

Have thanks: 246 time
I actually tried the Oculus Rift over the weekend.

They gave us big headphones as well, so it was really like entering your own little world. I played a Titanfall-like game, where you controlled a mech suit and had to shoot enemies, and it really felt like you were the guy sitting in the mech. It was kind of hard to get used to looking around to aim, but it responded really well to my head movements. It felt very fluid, although it was kind of annoying to do fast paced stuff for several reasons. Maybe it's just because I wasn't used to it, but I'd probably rather use the controller/mouse+keyboard for more precision.

It sort of feels like it could be damaging to your neck if you do it too much though. To look completely to the side you had to stretch your neck quite a bit and tbh if you do that for hours every day that can't be healthy.

I'm not sure I would use it for shooter games at all. I would probably prefer to use for more "slow" games. I think something slow and atmospheric like say Amnesia: The Dark Descent would work well with this. It would add a ton to the atmosphere and I wouldn't feel the need for precise movement and controls in a game like that.

jozoz has been thanked by:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:19 pm 
baron of hell

Have thanks: 266 time
Rofl **** playing amnesia or anything like it through goggles, do you want me to suffer a heart attack?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:30 pm 
The Department of Penis Thread Corrections

Have thanks: 207 time
Why isn't this the hardware forum?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:19 am 
hell knight

Have thanks: 133 time
[quote="lyra"]Rofl **** playing amnesia or anything like it through goggles, do you want me to suffer a heart attack?

That's an example of it possibly working too well.

I suspect VR will be very useful as a didactic tool for training in various specialized fields requiring very small margins of error. I think it will exist, but remain a niche, in the consumer space.

Page 1 of 9 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next