It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:49 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 448 of 452 [ 4517 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 445, 446, 447, 448, 449, 450, 451, 452  Next
 Post subject: Re: What game ya'll playin'
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:48 pm 
The Department of Penis Thread Corrections

Have thanks: 207 time
The only problem with the Witchbrides imo is that they restrict your fucking aim. When you're trapped and levitating is when you're going to be jerking your mouse around looking for her but you can't because you can't fucking aim. Other than that they're a neat crowd control enemy that excels in the less linear battlefields.

I'm breezing through SSE1 on easy to see what it's like and I'm starting to think it has the best level design. It's a good mix of indoor and outside environments with clear flows of enemies, triggers, and a good selection of monsters. Easy is really easy though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:49 am 
VIP Member

Have thanks: 169 time
Now I remember what they are. I didn't realise he was talking about the third game. I actually thought the monkeys were the most annoying and out of place enemy in that. They greatly slowed down the pace, and felt like they belonged in a more tactical shooter.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:48 pm 
spectre

Have thanks: 34 time
[quote="Gilgamesh"]Now I remember what they are. I didn't realise he was talking about the third game. I actually thought the monkeys were the most annoying and out of place enemy in that. They greatly slowed down the pace, and felt like they belonged in a more tactical shooter.

For one I thought they were fine. Maybe a bit too evasive. But shooting a monkey mid jump was very satisfying.

Also I'm playing Doom now. I like it a lot. Probably the best FPS I played since SS3. The only thing I dislike a lot is the upgrade system, with choices as to what you upgrade some of your stats or weapons. **** that. If they wanted to do upgrades they should have done it metroid style with straight pickups, not fucking RPG-like skill tree menus. Now I can't explain why hate this, I just hate every RPG-like stats or upgrade system. I just want to play the damn thing, not think about where I should spend my points in a menu. It's an action game ffs.

However I'm very positively surprised by glory kills. I thought I'd hate them, and other animations like the climbing ledge animation, but it's done right. They don't feel like they break the pace, I mean that they don't really feel like cutscenes. They're short enough that they feel like a response to your inputs, it flows well with the rest of the gameplay. Well polished.

Playing on Ultra Violence difficulty or something like that for now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:05 am 
VIP Member

The upgrade system was out of place in the game, but it didn't bother me much. I didn't spend too long looking through menus, or thinking too hard about it.

The glory kills are mostly fine. The animations just get a little bit old as the game goes on. It's a great game overall.

I'm playing Dark Souls 3 now. I had a good deal of it spoiled for me, from Joseph Anderson's review, as well as others, and knew almost exactly what to expect. So there isn't really any surprises so far. Some of the bosses have cheap attack patterns, that make them harder than they should be, but others are **** easy and go down very fast. The level design is what's most impressive so far. It has probably the most open levels in the series, despite the world design being lacklustre compared to Dark Souls 1. The characters seem more engaging than they were in previous games. I done(I think part of) a quest with Siegmeyr, and he's awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:28 pm 
The Department of Penis Thread Corrections

Have thanks: 207 time
Campion and I have been replaying Deus Ex

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:33 pm 
VIP Member

I played through most of Dishonored 2. It's about as average as expected. It's even less well balanced than the first game. The AI is designed, so that the enemy will spot you, all too easily, with even less warning to get away from them, than in the first game. The fact that there's no real depth to the stealth mechanics. No light and shadow meter. No noise detection, and hardly any real means of knowing how close you are to being spotted, means playing entirely stealthy, require an enormous amount of motivation. I've gotten high chaos in every mission so far, and I don't give a ****. There've been times when I reloaded saves, to try and stealth through better, but it's almost always better to kill the enemies, when they detect you. The long loading times, make reloading more of a chore too. The combat is a bit more challenging than in the first game. I'm playing it on hard, and the enemies can kill you a lot quicker, so you're not quite as overpowered. But when the stealth is so shallow, it's still better to fight them anyway. As the game goes on, you get more powerful too, so by the end, you'll still be a deadly killing machine. I just don't know why the game couldn't be more up front about what it is, like Dark Messiah. That game put combat first, and it was fantastic combat. Stealth was a minor, tertiary element.

In the games favour, it has very elaborate level design. There's a level of map intricacy, that I probably haven't seen since Thief 2. There's various ways of targeting your objective, and it can be fun figuring out which is the best. However, due to the game's poor mechanics, your progression through them, isn't nearly as fun as in a game like Thief. If you do choose to go stealthy, you're only going to be discouraged from exploring every area, because there's just too much of a risk of being detected, when doing so. If you go lethal, most of the enemies in the level, will end up dead. Which means you then just end up exploring an empty level. If the enemies had more varied AI, and there was more depth to the stealth mechanics, I'd consider the game to have some of the finest level design ever. But it doesn't.

The story is slightly better than the first, but still mediocre. The world building is actually more interesting than the story itself. I'd like to see another game set in the same universe, but be about something very different. It could have you fighting (mutant)wales on a ship, or doing other badass things in the world, that have nothing to do with stealth.

I played the PS4 version, as I wasn't chancing playing the PC version, considering what I heard regarding all the bugs. But even the PS4 version has them. The worst one causing my game to crash about 3 times so far.

I'll probably play Mankind Divided in the coming weeks, and see how that fares. I hear that has some of the opposite problems to Dishonored 2, regarding stealth. Mainly, that it's too easy to not get spotted, due to the stealth cloak.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:14 pm 
revenant

Have thanks: 81 time
Now that you mention it, this does bring me back memories of just how shallow the stealth truly was in Dishonored compared to all the other stuff, which made it feel less meaningful. From the looks of things and what you've said, D2 looks largely the same in that department. I guess rather than focus on introducing some improvements to the core gameplay, they just added more stealth centric powers to try and put a band aid over the fundamental issues. Why bother tinkering with the AI and implementing a better stealth system when you can give the player invisibility? That would also mean having to mess with the lighting for specific parts of the level in a way that makes sense for the environment like in Thief, and I guess that would just be too hard. I'm just talking out of my *** from my experience with D1, maybe I'll check it in a year when it goes on discount.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:00 pm 
VIP Member

Invisibility? I don't think the game has that. I certainly didn't acquire it. There is light and dark sections in the levels, but it's almost impossible to tell when you're concealed by the dark, and when you aren't. There's no light gem or any feedback system at all. I think it's only dark spots at long distances that conceal you, but it's very hard to know the distance. MGSV was a little ambiguous regarding this too, come to think of it, but at least that game's enemy AI had proper investigative skills, and you aren't just spotted right away. There's hardly any investigation done by the guards in Dishonored 2. The AI is extremely simple. The stealth operates on a very rhythmic structure. It mainly comes down to blinking to specific parts of the level at specific moments. The game is designed around blink, and you miss out on a lot of the levels by using it to make your way past guards. But if you don't use it, you're putting yourself at huge risk of being spotted. The enemies footsteps emit very little sounds, so you can't really tell how close they are to you. There's no icons or in game HUD of any kind, to let you know either. Stealth games should have some form of it. If they're in first person especially. There's mechanical enemies in the game, that literally have eyes at the back of their heads, and are in small areas. Making your way passed them without being detected, requires a ridiculous amount of trial and error on some occasions. One specific encounter in particular. But it is of course, better to kill them. The game clearly wants you to kill a lot of enemies, but you can't get a low chaos rating if you do. It's extremely hard to do so in this game. In the first game it wasn't as hard to get it. This is not really related to gameplay either, but the lines the guards have are complete garbage. Several are voiced by Stephen Russell, but their dialogue isn't anywhere near as well written as that in Thief.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:10 pm 
revenant

Have thanks: 81 time
I saw something with the girl character where you can turn into a shadow on the floor and just zip right by people.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:23 pm 
VIP Member

Yeah, I used that occasionally. It's not really the same thing as invisibility though. You still can't get close to enemies. It's also fairly redundant when you can blink past them. Or above them.

Page 448 of 452 [ 4517 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 445, 446, 447, 448, 449, 450, 451, 452  Next