It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:06 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to asfm

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 6 of 6 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Windows 8
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:38 am 
hell knight

Have thanks: 133 time
Begogian wrote:
I would really like Linux to be a good alternative, but I fear all the compatibility issues.

Chat me up.

Almost all desktop hardware and most laptop hardware should be fine.

The real problem is that lack of MS Office. You can fiddle MS Office 2010 into it but it's a bit hacky.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:44 am 
supreme adder

Have thanks: 250 time
Begogian wrote:
I'm pretty sure my dad did "reserve" the upgrade a year (!) ago, just in case (Never look a gift horse in the mouth etc.), but decided to not go through with it.

You never know when they might run out of bits.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:06 am 
baron of hell

Have thanks: 266 time
If all you want to do is go on the internetz and type up documents (in open office XD) Linux is perfectly viable.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:22 am 
spectre

Have thanks: 34 time
Using Linux since 2007, both for work and on my personal computers. Lubuntu at work and on my PC, Arch on my laptop (XPS 13 2015). I use Linux for gaming sometimes, but I have a Windows 10 partition around. I'm a huge Linux fan but I don't recommend it to gamers. I like it much more for everything else, daily tasks, workflow, customization, etc. But it's not quite there for gaming yet imo. Big hopes with Vulkan!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:37 pm 
Audrey Horne

Have thanks: 499 time
thx for the offer laifu but i still want to gaym and it seems linux is not a smooth alternative for that type of system

i might go for linux on my laptop eventually, though. the main thing stopping me from doing this is the really handy n64 emulator and some uni software. i'll chat you up when i decide to try linux, though! what are the hardware requirements? the laptop is quite crappy imho.

I feel like my dad would love linux, imho.

Do I want a house, or do I want a boat?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:24 pm 
hell knight

Have thanks: 133 time
Begogian wrote:
thx for the offer laifu but i still want to gaym and it seems linux is not a smooth alternative for that type of system

i might go for linux on my laptop eventually, though. the main thing stopping me from doing this is the really handy n64 emulator and some uni software. i'll chat you up when i decide to try linux, though! what are the hardware requirements? the laptop is quite crappy imho.

I feel like my dad would love linux, imho.

The requirements on linux are generally lower than for Windows. Depending on what kind of desktop you want (and you seem like the kind of guy who's down for a traditional desktop) the requirements can essentially go arbitrarily low. An N64 emulator for linux is more than available; all of that kind of fan-made software is often more available on linux than on windows.

Page 6 of 6 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6